Pavola

Page 1 / 2
rebelprincesz, Aug 4, 8:51am
how do you make those soft pavs that are soft enough to roll and u put fruit in the middle and roll them!

245sam, Aug 4, 8:58am
Here you are rebelprincesz.the following recipes are from the former Trademe Cooks:

"Pavlova roll with Liqueur Marscapone
250gm marscapone, 1/2c cream, 1 1/2T icing sugar, 1T grand marnier (or your favourite liqueur), 7 egg whites, 1 3/4c caster sugar, 2 tsp cornflour, 2 tsp white vinegar. Combine marscapone, cream, icing sugar and liqueur in small bowl. Refrigerate to firm up slightly. Beat eggwhites until soft peaks, gradually add in caster sugar until thick & glossy. Add cornflour and vinegar and fold to combine. Spread mix into a lined swiss roll tin & bake @ 160°C for about 20mins or until just firm. Remove from oven, cool 3 minutes. Lay a teatowel on bench, cover with baking paper. Turn out pavlova onto baking paer & cool 10 mins. Spread marscapone mix along long edge. Carefully roll pavlova using the teatowel as a guide. Leave in baking paper & teatowel & refrigerate overnight to set. Serve dusted with icing sugar & with a fruity berry compote.
posted by rkcroft

Alison Holst's Strawberry Pavlova Roll
4 egg whites from room temperature eggs, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/2 cup caster sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 x 300ml bottle cream, fresh strawberries etc or 1/2 cup jam. Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric beater, or into any large bowl, if beating by hand. Add the salt, then beat the whites until they form peaks that turn over at the top when the beater is lifted from them. Add the sugar gradually, in 3 or 4 parts, allowing about 30 seconds between additions. Beat until the peaks stand upright when the beater is removed from them. Beat in the vanilla, & spread the mixture evenly over the baking paper-lined sponge roll tin, about 33cmx23 cm. Bake at 190°C for 12-15 minutes, until the surface is golden brown, & the centre feels firm. Remove from the oven, & turn upside down on to a sheet of greaseproof paper which has been wiped over very lightly with soft butter, then sprinkled with caster sugar. Leave to stand until the meringue is cold, then spread with 2/3 of the stiffly whipped, cold cream. Cover the surface of the cream with sliced strawberries, then roll up, using the paper to help you. It is usual to roll the meringue up, starting from a short side, forming a short, fat roll, but you can make a long thin roll if this suits you better. Place the roll, join down, on a long plate or board. Put the remaining cream in a forcing bag, & pipe it along the top of the roll, then place a line of strawberries on it. Cover loosely, & refrigerate until serving. Cut into slices, preferably with a serrated knife. posted by 245sam

TOP TIP: These can be made and frozen . 4 egg whites beaten till really stiff, then add 1 cup fo sugar and beat really well again, then add 1 tsp of white vinager, 1 tsp of cornflour, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 1/4 tsp baking powder and beat well again. then spread out (but not to thinly) on a wet piece of greaseproof paper that is on a baking tray and bakin a row oven - about 120 deg cel for about 15 min or until not sticky when touched on top, then turn out onto greaseproof paper that has icing sugar sprinkled on it. when cold spread you filling on evenly - jam, fruit, cream etc and then roll up. place carefully on a frezzer proof tray and cover the rolled pav with cream and then double bag and frezze. will keep well for at least 3 months - defrost over 3 hours and enjoy! posted by timetable"

Hope that helps.:-))

rebelprincesz, Aug 4, 9:01am
yay thanks will print them off for mum.are these the most basic and easiest to make! lol

springgrove, Aug 4, 9:15am
Tried and trusted never fails.
2 egg white, 1 1/2 cups of castor sugar, 1 teasp cornflour, 1 teasp vanilla, 1 teasp vinegar, 4 tblesp boiling water. Mix all in a bowl with electric beater for 10 mins. Place on baking tray , bake 10 mins at 350 F then turn oven off but leave pav in for at least 1 1/2 hours. The beauty of this is you don't have to keep watch over it. Once it has had it's 10 mins turn off and walk away.

shop-a-holic, Aug 4, 9:34am
Too much sugar for 2 egg whites.
1 egg white only needs 1/4 cup Tops!

fifie, Aug 4, 9:54am
This is a recipe i make also for a crispy pav to freeze and it takes a lot of sugarwith the boiling water, whips up quite a big amount and is different to the softer meringue pav a lot of people know with less sugar.

vtired, Aug 5, 1:47am
I have just put one in oven, 4 egg whites beaten stiff with 3 tblsps cold water and pinch salt, add one and a quarter cups white sugar and beat till sugar dissolved, add 3 tsps cornflour 1 tsp malt vinegar and 1 tsp vanilla essence, pile onto cold tray lined with baking paper and bake in pre-heated oven 140 c for 90 mins. open door and turn oven off and leave till cold and turn out onto plate . This one is marshmellow in centre with crunchy outside.

jojonz1, Aug 5, 8:55am
I use my egg yolks to make a lemon filling its yummy, nice sweet pav, tart of your lemon filling then the cream. When ever i take somewhere everyone will come back for seconds !:-)

My Pav Recipe
per heat oven to 120
3 egg whites, beat till stiff, then they form peaks
9 tablespoons of caster sugar, add gradually, 3 tablespoons at each time
1 teaspoon of vinalla
1 teaspoon of white vinager
beat for about 5 / 10 mins
Bake on a greased piece of baking paper for 90mins at 120, turn oven off and leave till cold.
Pav will be crunchy as but soft on the middle, made this for years and it has never failed
If you use 4 egg whites use 12 table spoons of sugar,

rebelprincesz, Aug 5, 10:02am
thanks everyone will copy these out for my mum

charyn1, Aug 21, 12:56am
i have made many, but they never come out with the crispy shell, just all soft anyone know why!

auntlb, Aug 21, 1:28am
What heat are you cooking it on!
I have my oven up to 200C when it goes in the oven I turn it down to about 120C for about an hour and then turn the oven off and leave it to cool in the oven.

kinna54, Aug 21, 5:14am
Try this one, it is a firm pav and has the crunchy, very crisp outside.
Pavlova # 1

3 egg whites
8oz caster sugar
Pinch salt
1 tsp vinegar

Beat egg whites with salt until quite stiff.
Beat in sugar very gradually
Add vanilla and vinegar, and beat again until mixed in.

Place the mixture in a20cm circle on greased paper on a greased oven tray, and bake slowly 100—110 deg C. for about 1-1/2 hrs.
*****Leave the pavlova to cool in the oven until completely cold. *This makes the outside crunchier.********

This recipe also has a firmer centre.
Serve topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit.

buzzy110, Aug 21, 5:23am
The only ones I have made that have come out soft have been ones where I haven't ensured the egg whites were first beaten till they were very stiff before I began to add the sugar. Not only did the finished mix not pile easily onto the baking tray, instead is spread all over the place, but once it cooled it began to seep liquid sugar all over the place. And one more thing - it still had a very eggy taste, like the taste of the egg white in a fluffy omelette - a definite no no imo.

Does any part of my experience sound familiar to you.

kinna54, Aug 21, 5:29am
Yep, you have to beat the hell out of the mixture, turn the bowl upside down, if it drips on your head it's not mixed enough. true! And the sugar has to be added gradually! and pav should always cooked low and slow. Recipe I posted above is my old catering one,been around a few years, before the marshmallow type began more in vogue,and if I had $1 for every one of those I made I'd be rich! the cooling in the oven until totally cold certainly makes a big difference as well.

allurs, Aug 21, 5:30am
oooo whats ur recipe! cause i'm looking for one that doesnt have a crusty outside!!

kinna54, Aug 21, 5:31am
allurs hit search and go under marshmallow, or pavlova roll, they are much softer.

talent.scout, Aug 21, 9:47am
my mum makes the shell so crispy, that you can pick up the whole pav, without it breaking!

She adds one tablespoon of sifted cornflour to the mix

flower-child01, Aug 22, 4:03am
My recipe http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/pavlova/ has full details, so makes it easy to make with the same results every time. A hard crust, with a soft marshmallow centre.

carlos57, Aug 22, 4:36am
My comes out beautifully - crisp on outside, soft in middle, despite all ingredients going in at once! Haven't had a disaster yet, even though I've apparently broken lots of pav rules ;)

carlos57, Aug 22, 5:00am
That first word should be 'mine' - too busy drooling at the thought of pavlova!

buzzy110, Aug 22, 5:23am
The only ones I have made that have come out soft have been ones where I haven't ensured the egg whites were first beaten till they were very stiff before I began to add the sugar. Not only did the finished mix not pile easily onto the baking tray, instead is spread all over the place, but once it cooled it began to seep liquid sugar all over the place. And one more thing - it still had a very eggy taste, like the taste of the egg white in a fluffy omelette - a definite no no imo.

Does any part of my experience sound familiar to you.

kinna54, Aug 22, 5:29am
Yep, you have to beat the hell out of the mixture, turn the bowl upside down, if it drips on your head it's not mixed enough. true! And the sugar has to be added gradually! and pav should always be cooked low and slow. Recipe I posted above is my old catering one,been around a few years, before the marshmallow type became more in vogue,and if I had $1 for every one of those I made I'd be rich! the cooling in the oven until totally cold certainly makes a big difference as well. Oops sorry for all the edits, typing is bad today!

allurs, Aug 22, 5:30am
oooo whats ur recipe! cause i'm looking for one that doesnt have a crusty outside!!

fifie, Aug 22, 10:29am
Make one thats really crispy on outside, almost hollow on inside like a oversized meringue for those in my family who like it crunchy and its great to freeze also.

seniorbones, Aug 22, 10:41am
easiest (never failed for me), similar to the one above.3 eggs whites, 1 tsp vanilla, 1-1/4 cups sugar, 1 tsp vinegar and 4 tabs of boiling water, all in the bowl at once and beat on high for 15mins.pile onto baking paper cook for 1 hour in a slow oven - about 125oC leave in the oven to go cold (this does not make the outing crunchy it should already be crunchy at the end of the cooking time) I do it at night switch off and go to bed. Also the reason for the sugar ooze is because it hasnt disolved properly, test by rubbing some of the mix between your fingers if it feels gritty beat another 5 mins until it no longer feels gritty. AND I often double this recipe if I want it larger. In 40 years this has never failed.