Where would i find 1/4 - 1/2 a beast?

Page 1 / 3
tipsy_bl0nde, Jul 18, 4:01am
Thinking about buying part of a beast (beef or pork preferable) who would i need to talk to or how would i go about this? Looking to fill freezer.

Edit: or a whole beast if i can convince family to share :)

countrybumpkinz, Jul 18, 4:27am
maybe ask your local butcher?

moreorless, Jul 18, 7:31am
Tipsyblonde, if you ever find out, I am same suburb as you and happy to go halfs with you, if that's something you would consider.
I have been wanting to do the same thing for quite a while, just never got around to finding out where or who to go to.
I would want beef though not pork out of preference.
Anyone??

corgi731, Jul 19, 1:35am
I did this not so long ago and it was awesome. I rang someone that lived local that does homekill. Quite often farmersmight only want half of their beast and sell the rest. I paid $240 for quarter of a small beast, but it lasted for ages and you pick what you want....(meat wise).

beaker59, Jul 19, 3:49am
I have only ever done it as a cooperative effort with a friend who is a farmer he provided the animal I did the killing and butchering but for you first find 3 other people who are willing to share the cost and then go from there.

opps007, Jul 19, 4:08am
what is the average price for a half a beast?

countrybumpkinz, Jul 19, 4:27am
maybe ask your local butcher!

moreorless, Jul 19, 7:31am
Tipsyblonde, if you ever find out, I am same suburb as you and happy to go halfs with you, if that's something you would consider.
I have been wanting to do the same thing for quite a while, just never got around to finding out where or who to go to.
I would want beef though not pork out of preference.
Anyone!

juliewn, Jul 19, 1:30pm
Yes.. contact a butcher.. or check in the yellow pages to see if any do home-kills.. you could buy 1/4 or 1/2 from most butchers.. and they sell the rest in their shop.. or go shares with someone else.

If you decide to go ahead, work out how you want the meat to be wrapped - they can do that into sizes that suit your needs.. or you get everything - ask for it to be labelled - and bag it up yourself.

Options are usually - do you want more mince than sausages, or the opposite?.. do you want some of the meat corned? Some butchers can make salami, though there would be an additional cost. Do you want some of the steak left whole? Do you want some of the mince/sausage meat made into saveloys?.. do you want some sliced for schnitzel?.. work out what you prefer so you can let the butcher know.

Hi Opps.. it may be that prices vary regionally according to what's available, transport, etc..etc.. if you give a couple of butchers a call, they'll be able to give you a price for your area..

toadfish, Jul 19, 7:07pm
I am also in Manukau and would happily scarfe a beast with you tipsy... just let me know.. and I'll ask around as well.

toadfish, Jul 19, 7:37pm
Whoops I mean Share.... not sure what "scarfeing" a beast would entail lol.

corgi731, Jul 20, 1:35am
I did this not so long ago and it was awesome. I rang someone that lived local that does homekill. Quite often farmersmight only want half of their beast and sell the rest. I paid $240 for quarter of a small beast, but it lasted for ages and you pick what you want.(meat wise).

opps007, Jul 20, 4:08am
what is the average price for a half a beast!

christopher53, Jul 20, 5:57am
What is a 'beast'? sounds evil too me

rainrain1, Jul 20, 6:02am
a large four footed animal

christopher53, Jul 20, 6:13am
If its a steer or hefer then call it that, not a damm 'beast!'. Do you say 'look at that paddock full of beasts?'Where is that beasts mother?' etc.They are not beasts!!

rainrain1, Jul 20, 6:35am
We refer to them as cattle beasts at times....they are beasts!!!

moreorless, Jul 20, 9:23am
Toadfish if we dont hear back from Tipsy, I will go in with you or both of you on a beef beast.
Anyone know who we could contact, not just yellow pages but a name, maybe someone you have used and were happy with.

toadfish, Jul 20, 9:46am
Great lets see if anyone has any reccomendations,,,, Hubby is super keen

moreorless, Jul 20, 9:48am
Great Toadfish, I am over and I mean over the supermarket prices.

juliewn, Jul 20, 1:30pm
Yes. contact a butcher. or check in the yellow pages to see if any do home-kills. you could buy 1/4 or 1/2 from most butchers. and they sell the rest in their shop. or go shares with someone else.

If you decide to go ahead, work out how you want the meat to be wrapped - they can do that into sizes that suit your needs. or you get everything - ask for it to be labelled - and bag it up yourself.

Options are usually - do you want more mince than sausages, or the opposite!. do you want some of the meat corned! Some butchers can make salami, though there would be an additional cost. Do you want some of the steak left whole! Do you want some of the mince/sausage meat made into saveloys!. do you want some sliced for schnitzel!. work out what you prefer so you can let the butcher know.

Hi Opps. it may be that prices vary regionally according to what's available, transport, etc.etc. if you give a couple of butchers a call, they'll be able to give you a price for your area.

toadfish, Jul 20, 6:56pm
I know people in Cambridge & Karakathat are rural so will start asking around, plus the lovely "Greg'n'michelle" from the boards might point us in the right direction.

Think you find it wont be super cheap compared to the supermarket "specials" which is what I buy, but think it will be far better quality.

toadfish, Jul 20, 7:07pm
I am also in Manukau and would happily scarfe a beast with you tipsy. just let me know. and I'll ask around as well.

toadfish, Jul 20, 7:37pm
Whoops I mean Share. not sure what "scarfeing" a beast would entail lol.

moreorless, Jul 20, 9:56pm
Thanks toadfish, re the price I thought it works out supercheap, in comparison to even specials at supermarket.
Anyone done a comparison on price.
Thanks for asking around, be good to see what comes of it, and I am sure the quality will be better.
Often wondered if it tastes the same or different just because it is fresh, ie does it taste gamey, not quite the right word but you know what I mean.