Where would i find 1/4 - 1/2 a beast?

Page 2 / 3
grannypam, Jul 20, 10:04pm
add the cost of a beast to the cost of processing the meat and you will see that it isnt super cheap at all, especially if you buy supermarket specials..

but no it doesnt taste gamey..lol

westydogs, Jul 21, 12:23am
I just bought a side of beast and it worked out at $6.59/kilo.

moreorless, Jul 21, 2:16am
Hi westydogs, how many kilos does that end up being and what sort did you get. ie sausages steak etc.
Do you mind telling me how much a side ends up costing and if their is a place you recommend.

christopher53, Jul 21, 5:57am
What is a 'beast'! sounds evil too me

christopher53, Jul 21, 6:13am
If its a steer or hefer then call it that, not a damm 'beast!'. Do you say 'look at that paddock full of beasts!'Where is that beasts mother!' etc.They are not beasts!

westydogs, Jul 21, 6:28am
We are lucky as we have friends who fed the beast and we shared with them.The home kill butcher is Mercer Meats (probably google).The side of the beast cost $535.00 but I got t-bones (heaps because it is hubbys favourite), scotch fillet, rump, schnitzel, blade, rolled roasts, bolar roasts, pure beef sausies, mince, corned silverside, there must be something I have missed.Have 2 t-bones defrosted tonight for dins, and they look terrific.

rainrain1, Jul 21, 6:35am
We refer to them as cattle beasts at times.they are beasts!

westydogs, Jul 21, 6:36am
Just used the calculator and just got over 81kg of meat.

kamitchell, Jul 21, 6:42am
We just got 1/4 of a cattle beast done, it worked out to $6.60 per kg, this price was paying for 1/4 of the cow (hook weight was just under 300kgs) and the processing costs at the local homekill.We got HEAPS of mince & sausages, 3 rolled roasts, various bags of steaks, 2 HUGE rolls of salami, stewing steak etcHope that helps give you an idea.The beef is absolutely mouth drooling amazing!In no way does it compare to supermarket meat.

I know of someone else who sells homekill, just out of Hamilton, but he won't have any cows ready until October.You can buy any size portion of the beast you want off him.

moreorless, Jul 21, 9:02am
Westydogs thanks for the info and kamitchell also. Wow 81kgs that would save a few supermarket trips :-)

toadfish, Jul 21, 6:56pm
I know people in Cambridge & Karakathat are rural so will start asking around, plus the lovely "Greg'n'michelle&-
quot; from the boards might point us in the right direction.

Think you find it wont be super cheap compared to the supermarket "specials" which is what I buy, but think it will be far better quality.

grannypam, Jul 21, 10:04pm
add the cost of a beast to the cost of processing the meat and you will see that it isnt super cheap at all, especially if you buy supermarket specials.

but no it doesnt taste gamey.lol

kamitchell, Jul 22, 6:42am
We just got 1/4 of a cattle beast done, it worked out to $6.60 per kg, this price was paying for 1/4 of the cow (hook weight was just under 300kgs) and the processing costs at the local homekill.We got HEAPS of mince & sausages, 3 rolled roasts, various bags of steaks, 2 HUGE rolls of salami, stewing steak etcHope that helps give you an idea.The beef is absolutely mouth drooling amazing!In no way does it compare to supermarket meat.

I know of someone else who sells homekill, just out of Hamilton, but he won't have any cows ready until October.You can buy any size portion of the beast you want off him.

wayne472, Jul 22, 6:56am
You soon get through it. It goes down quick!

jaej, Jul 22, 7:21am
Just be careful what condition the beast is in before you agree to buy it, as an old skinny dairy boner will never produce tender meat, and what some people choose to homekill, other people would use as dog food.

moreorless, Jul 22, 9:27pm
Thanks jaej :-) no old skinny dairy boner ha ha doesn't really sound like the go.

smileeah, Jul 23, 1:38am
I was just about to say that too. The condition of the beast really makes a huge difference to the end result. Also, ask the butcher to hang the meat for as long as possible to help ensure tenderness.

moreorless, Jul 23, 9:27pm
Thanks jaej :-) no old skinny dairy boner ha ha doesn't really sound like the go.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jul 24, 9:02pm
sorry for being so delayed just moved into new house just turned computer on. Still very keen to go halves or quarters. will check with my butcher today

rema, Jul 24, 9:41pm
kamitchell - would be interested to know who the homekill butcher out of hamilton is, as would love to get a quarter, prepared to wait till october
email address is usernameclark at the telecom place

moreorless, Jul 24, 10:17pm
I am still keen too, sounds like we need to go with someone reputable to we get a healthy cow not a old skinny boney as someone said above.

jag5, Jul 25, 4:43am
Just remember guys....it is actually illegal to sell home kill....and if you are purchasing the "beast" or any animal for home kill, according to law, you personally have to own and care for that animal for 30 days prior to slaughter.

So please just be careful what you put on here........this is a public forum.

moreorless, Jul 25, 9:03am
Thanks Jag5 I had no idea, so thanks to you now I do.
So really you cant go halfs with anyone at all, not even the person who has owned the animal 30 days. Is that right.
I am glad you posted with that important info, thanks

smileeah, Jul 25, 10:24pm
I had no idea either. Good to know for future reference. Thanks jag5

jag5, Jul 25, 11:20pm
All I am saying is that is the law.....what you end up doing, (like heaps of others do) is up to you....many flout it LOL just don't get caught...keep it low key , word of mouth etc etc