Tan Square, help what on earth am I doing wrong?

Page 1 / 2
suie1, Jul 13, 3:26am
I have made this so many times (hundreds) in the past & it always has turned out perfect, but today & the last time I made it the caramel is sinking through the base is even highlander condensed milk substandard these days?

mottly, Jul 13, 3:47am
I gave up - had the same problem...you can mix a little cornflour into the cond milk to thicken it - or use the 'caramel' cond milk.....just tip it straight out of the tin and push it around :)(that's how I do it)

suie1, Jul 13, 3:51am
Thanks, I will try the cornflour. I have even had trouble getting the condensed milk to caramelise on the stove top. I might contact Nestle also very disappointing as it is not cheap, it will get eaten but I hate feeling like I have wasted time & money!

mottly, Jul 13, 3:53am
I know how you feel - can't remember how many I ended up throwing out :(I used about 1 1/2 tsp's and it worked fine....:)I think they're adding water to it nowdays - seems to be alot more watery than it used to be.

ellie04, Jul 14, 2:36am
That seems to make sense why my chocolate caramel slice isn't setting properly anymore! I wondered if they have changed the consistency in the Nestle Condensed Milk. Been driving me crazy thinking to myself, what am I doing wrong. I've made the slice so many times. Cheeky monkeys cheapening a great product!

pam.delilah, Jul 14, 2:50am
made caramel out of condensed milk(not lite) to make caramel brownies. got a bit behind time and the caramel firmed up,and the brownie turned out really nice with swirls of caramel through it..Made it again last week and the caramel went to the bottom, as I put it through without it standing to long. So next time I make the caramel I will let it stand and firm up. Hope this helps

creeky1, Jul 14, 2:53am
watch the butter, I only buy the ones that don't list water as an ingredient. Not sure if there is anything to it but you never know.

korbo, Jul 14, 5:01am
yes creeky, i have a recipe that i have made for years, and a few months ago, made it, and the base was just like breadcrumbs. I asked a few others, and we have all decided it is the butter....
havent made caramel slice for a while, but now having read all this, i will have a go at the weekend.
did you also know ....why cream is taking longer to beat, to get thick, cos they have taken out the fat content by so much %...why dont the companies let us know, instead of us having to waste ingredients when baking.....????

suie1, Jul 14, 10:02am
On the cream you are so right, I made some butter recently & was shocked by the amount of buttermilk that came out!

suie1, Jul 14, 10:03am
Yes & they don't say what percentage, so annoying Taurarua butter has no water but is so expensive!

suie1, Jul 14, 10:04am
In quality only not price!

angie461, Jul 14, 10:03pm
I definately think it is the condensed milk, made caramel slice and it was thinner in the pot and thickened up only a little...made tan sq a couple of days ago same problem.

suie1, Jul 15, 12:24am
Hi Just had a call from Nestle. Apparently Condensed Milk is now made in Australia, it used to be made here & only once a year when the milk solids were at their highest fat content. The rep said they used to stock pile it & store it & roll it out oldest to youngest, she said that it thickens up over time if it is stored long enough around 6mths.
She also said to check out www.tastifoods.com.au for recipes that may suit the thinner condensed milk.

ellie04, Jul 15, 3:58am
That's interesting suie1 - I'm getting really annoyed with products I'm buying being of poor quality and paying a high price. I've already complained to Griffins about the quality of their biscuits which are appalling and the biscuits are made off shore with cheap, nasty products which taste ghastly. Lollies are just as appalling. So not surprise to hear about the condensed milk. Why do they do this? Wish things could be like they used to ;-)

suie1, Jul 15, 4:13am
In a word MONEY that and Labour free trade policies.

suie1, Jul 17, 1:41am
Yay I made some apricot fudge cake & it turned out same as always so at least I know not all my recipes with condensed milk will be a waste of time.

aimz_bj, Jul 17, 7:40am
Just for future, Home brand condensed milk is a lot thicker the nestle :)Might help?

ellie04, Jul 17, 8:20pm
Now that is good to know! Will buy a couple of tins for my pantry!

ellie04, Jul 17, 8:21pm
suie1 - are you happy to share your recipe? I have been looking for a apricot fudge cake recipe for a long time that a neighbour used to make (going back over 20 years ago) and would love to find it. It could be your recipe :-)

countrybumpkinz, Jul 17, 10:23pm
I wish i had read this thread earlier. I made a citrus slice that I used to make all the time and this is the first time that it didn't set on the base. Base is condensed milk and broken biscuits, it stayed clunky instead of setting hard. Now thinking this may not of been my failure.

lx4000, Jul 17, 10:42pm
sounds like yous need to email, ring or snails mail and complain!!

The more that do, the more likely things will change!!

aimz_bj, Jul 17, 11:14pm
I had the same problem with a couple of recipes too, then tried Homebrand.Its alot thicker!

suie1, Jul 17, 11:35pm
I bought a tin of this & thought it was pretty runny. I won't buy it now because it is made in Singapore!

suie1, Jul 17, 11:42pm
Hi Yes it is the Chelsea Brown Sugar one, 250g Crushed Plain Biscuits, 100g Melted Butter, 1/2 tin Condensed Milk, 1 C Chopped Dried Apricots 1 C Choc Chips (Optional) 1/2 C Brown Sugar, Melt Butter & Brown Sugar together until sugar is dissolved , stir in the condensed milk until well combined (then cool- very important if you are adding chocolate or else it will melt) Mix Crumbs, Apricots & choc together then add the liquid, mix well & either shape into a log like lolly cake refrigerate then slice when set, or press into a tin, mark into squares then refrigerate I prefer this method as it is much easier to serve. Also I usually double the recipe because 1/2 tin of condensed milk is a pain & it is never enoughfor my family anyway LOL.

ellie04, Jul 18, 9:42am
Thank you suie1 - that looks delish!