Foodie places & markets to visit in Wellington

Page 1 / 2
dealz4all, Jun 13, 8:56am
I am visiting Wellington this weekend. Where are all the good foodie place's to visit and markets. Is there a farmer's market in Wellington? Also I am a vegetarian but the other 2 people I am with aren't where are some nice foodie cafes/restaurants that we can visit that you could reccomend Many thanks

duckmoon, Jun 13, 9:25am
If you want great food - then Logan Brown would be my recommendation...

unfortunately, it isn't cheap - if you are budget conscious - then the pre-theatre dinner can be done for around $45 plus drinks

duckmoon, Jun 13, 9:26am
where are you staying??
there is a Sunday food market next to Te Papa (across the road from Museum Hotel)

Little India in Manners Street, almost the corner of Taranaki and Manners Street is a great Indian restuarant...

duckmoon, Jun 13, 9:27am
Great chinese food???
then try the Shanghai Kitchen in jackson Street, Petone (only possible with a car), or Grand Century for yum char at lunchtime

duckmoon, Jun 13, 9:28am
and don't forget Moore Wilsons for both food and food stuff...

my friend arrives from Auckland and goes home with a chilly bin/bag of stuff...
from the cheese, to 3kg of almonds!

duckmoon, Jun 13, 9:30am
and my final comment:
I have finally had dinner at Boulcott Street Bistro - it was FANTASTIC - but arrive early.
They don't take bookings for dinner - so we choose to arrive at 5.45 - which was early - but worth it!!!

floralsun, Jun 13, 9:40am
We agree completely - be prepared to be tempted by way more than you considered buying when you walk in :-)

dealz4all, Jun 13, 9:41am
We are staying in the Hutt but are able to travel into town. We all like Malaysian,Asian,Mexican,etc...-
on a modest budget please. Thanks for you input so far keep it coming:0)

nfh1, Jun 13, 10:03am
I love Petone, some excellent foodie shops/cafes and restaurants down there and a fantastic book shop which just sells books about food.

Very tough on the credit card though.

duckmoon, Jun 13, 10:04am
If you are in the hUtt, then go to the Shanghai kitchen, the decor is nothing at all... but the food is FANTASTIC!!!!!

dealz4all, Jun 13, 10:14am
Where is the book shop nfh1 I need to visit it:) Thanks

nfh1, Jun 13, 10:27am
It is on Jackson Street - see link below - it is lovely!

http://www.bookfeast.com/

petal1955, Jun 13, 11:14am
Thorndon (Hill Street)Farmers Market on Saturday also one at Newtown School on Saturday morning as well

rosathemad, Jun 13, 8:02pm
Logan Brown is great but doesn't strike me as a great restaurant for vegetarians - it's very meat-centric. Chow is modern Asian cuisine and has great, fresh, interesting flavours and plenty of veggie options.

The market next to Te Papa is a farmers market outside, but the City Market insde the nearby Chaffers Dock building is also well worth a visit - artisan food products to tempt you!

kay141, Jun 13, 8:05pm
Try to visit On Trays in Petone. Fantastic selection of food and food related things from around the world. Or Bella Italia in Nevis Street. An italian cafe with imported food stuffs.

nfh1, Jun 13, 9:02pm
On Trays is amazing, I love going there - every time we come down to Wellington we visit.There is also a fantastic Spice Shop on the corner just up from there.

cookessentials, Jun 13, 9:49pm
La Bella italia in Petone is a large Italian warehouse/caf'e/restaurant...t-
he food is fabulous. There is also a GREAT cafe in Lyall Bay ...heading out to Eastbourne that has a gorgeous vegetarian breakfast.

samboy, Jun 17, 2:55am
Where is it, and what sort of food is it, is it an 'eat out' place or just where you purchase items from

samboy, Jun 17, 2:56am
woops just read earlier thread and saw what it sells.Will go there.

sandra25, Jun 18, 8:24am
Thank you - that's my bookshop!!!

sandra25, Jun 18, 8:29am
Petone is great. Ontrays in Fitzherbert St, the 2 spice shops, La Bella Italia in Nevis St - don't forget Cultured on Jackson St. On a Sunday morning go to the City Market (in the atrium at Chaffers Dock Building) 8.30 - 12.30. All local food producers - Yellow Brick Road line caught fish, Martin Bosely, Brezelmania, Le Marche Francais French cheeses, Le Canard Terrines, Wakelin House pies and dressings, Schott beverages, Esque handmade chocolate, Dream Produce - fairtrade!, Angie O authentic Italian sauces, pickled garlic etc, Creative Cooking's yummy macarons and pate, Crepes a Go Go etc etc etc oh and Bookfeast too!

dealz4all, Jun 13, 8:56am
I am visiting Wellington this weekend. Where are all the good foodie place's to visit and markets. Is there a farmer's market in Wellington! Also I am a vegetarian but the other 2 people I am with aren't where are some nice foodie cafes/restaurants that we can visit that you could reccomend Many thanks

duckmoon, Jun 13, 9:25am
If you want great food - then Logan Brown would be my recommendation.

unfortunately, it isn't cheap - if you are budget conscious - then the pre-theatre dinner can be done for around $45 plus drinks

where are you staying!
there is a Sunday food market next to Te Papa (across the road from Museum Hotel)