Has everyone but me got

Page 1 / 2
wheelz, Jun 12, 10:37am
a slow cooker?!!! Are they really better than a casserole dish in the oven on low? Or should I' get with it' and buy one? Which brand?

pickles7, Jun 12, 11:27am
get with it. We got ours by using our flu buys. Breville, 5.5 litre. I love cooking in it.

charlieb2, Jun 12, 11:32am
I have a slow cooker.. but its very fast... lol...so it works out to be not much slower than a slow oven.I guess the 'plus' is that its cheaper to run than a slow oven (I think!)

margyr, Jun 12, 7:38pm
my husband bought me one, have used it quite alot, but still prefer casseroles in the oven, which is automatic so I used to set it lots, really did not want/need a slow cooker.

rosathemad, Jun 12, 7:43pm
We don't have one, I prefer to use the oven. Occasionally it would come in handy and they are cheaper to run but it's also another thing to use up bench real estate.

accroul, Jun 12, 7:59pm
I don't have one either.

lythande1, Jun 12, 7:59pm
I prefer a casserole dish in the oven.
I do have a slow cooker but the only advantage is putting it on before going to work.
If you're not away all day then I wouldn't bother.

onekiwigirl, Jun 12, 10:44pm
Two comments, firstly there are some recipes that are better done in a slow cooker than in the oven and vice versa, so I think they both have their place in the kitchen.Secondly, one has to learn a few different cooking techniques when using the slow cooker, but once you have got to grips with the slow cooker techniques then you can see that you can use your slow cooker in quite unique ways.

Cheers

t.gypsy, Jun 12, 11:32pm
did you get sick after getting it ;)

waipawa, Jun 12, 11:35pm
Nice to know the flu can be useful. I've never gotten anything from my flu's but aches and pains...

shelleigh, Jun 12, 11:41pm
I got my 3L Breville with Fly Buys points and LOVE it!! Am not a big stew fan but stew made in the slow cooker is delicious - so tender.
And fantastic for soups as they can't catch on the bottom because the element is around the side.

charlieb2, Jun 13, 12:03am
Yes, two things I like them for are soups and corned beef.. you dont have to stand over them and/or check all the time and your kitchen doesnt fill up with steam!!

pheebs1, Jun 13, 12:32am
yes we do
they are really worthwhile but buy a decent 5litre one
you can do so much in them
the best soups, yummy desserts, bake bread, yummy casseroles there are alot of recipes on here to get you started
i like that you can set forget and depending on family hunger times they can help themeselves and leave the rest warming for when hubby gets home
do it!

calista, Jun 13, 12:38am
I like it for plum puddings and am eager to try the upside down pineapple cake (when I find my recipe book),Also I make heaps of soup, stews etc which it's good to be able to leave while it cooks,I know I am a wuss, but I don't feel confident enough to leave my oven cooking while I'm out like I do with the crockpot - besides people on my side of ChCh need to conserve power,

Since the Feb earthquake mine sits on a wooden chopping board on the floor to cook as it fell off the low bench I had it on and spilled my tea all over the floor but didn't break as it was held by the plug.

If you are dubious can you borrow one for a few days to try it out?

norse_westie, Jun 13, 1:09am
I've been using one for about 15 years now and still love them. (I'm onto my third). I make cakes, desserts, porridge, soups, casseroles, curries, and roasts in them.

wheelz, Jun 13, 1:24am
ok... thanks for your replies..... I think I'll stick by my oven. Just wanted to know if I was missing out by not owning one.... doesn't seem so.

chicco2, Jun 13, 2:46am
Did a Bolar roast in mine last week. Sliced onions in crock, add garlic salt pepper and the meat. Poured over a little water. It was DEVINE.

macandrosie, Jun 13, 6:54am
Wouldn't they be cheaper to run than an oven? I have 2 & I love them, You can throw a forzen chicken into it(a large oval 5 or 6 litre one) in the morning put it on high & you're chicky will be lovely & tender by 4.30pm. so easy & quick! Great for young people & flatting. I have bought allmy children one for their flats. You can even do baked potatoes in them.

tinkagirl, Jun 13, 7:48am
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my slow cooker, make everything from mac and cheese to puddings, not just stews...it is AWESOME....buy one you will love it.

tinkagirl, Jun 13, 7:52am
that makes no sense, you ARE missing out girlfriend...

evorotorua, Jun 13, 7:55am
Well, I must be unique then. Over the years I have owned several of them. Each one in turn has been given away again as I just don't use them. I have friends who convince me that slow cookers are the best thing so I buy one, use it a couple of times and then decide it's not for me and off it goes to someone who will use it. My fourth one has almost gathered enough dust after two years so I think it might be gone soon. I agree that it can be more economical to run than an oven but I generally make my stews in the weekend while I am making bread and biscuits etc so the oven is on anyway. I prefer a crunchy skin on my chicken and really I think I like the hands on part of cooking too much to just walk away!!!!!!! Each to their own. I have had some very nice meals from other peoples slow cookers. Enjoy whatever you choose!!

nor2, Jun 13, 10:13pm
I just bought one, and did a whole chicken on Sunday.I did it on auto, started at 9.30am but it wasn't fully cooked at 5pm.It was only a size 16 and defrosted.Should I have cooked it on high?

Did a casserole last night.Came out really tender.

Got a 3.5 litre from Farmers, $39.95 (half price).

groomingtools, Jun 13, 11:07pm
I use mine all the time and have friends who do the same.If I had to buy another I would try the one I saw advertised on TV (last night?) You can brown on stove top then put into the base - I think that would be great as I do like to brown my meat first.

groomingtools, Jun 13, 11:08pm
Corned beef - just pour a bottle (cheapest) of Ginger Ale over the top, nothing else -YUM

jed, Jun 15, 5:09am
Have a crock pot which I never cook in.Use it for keeping soup hot is all.Use a pressure cooker though.If I had a choice, I would take the pressure cooker anyday.Makes a mean stew :-)