Burnt bum!

Page 1 / 2
mas45, Apr 30, 11:06pm
I made a batch of Quince jam last night and left the pot unattended. I came out and smelt it burning. The bum of the pot has about a cm thick crust of burnt jam in it. Whats the best way to clean it, elbow grease, soaking, a small nuclear device or chuck it away? Matt

rainrain1, Apr 30, 11:14pm
boil on stove with dishwash powder, somehow it lifts the burnt off

mas45, Apr 30, 11:19pm
Legend! Thanks will give it a go. It's my favourite big stock pot

rainrain1, Apr 30, 11:32pm
dishwash machine powder that is

mas45, Apr 30, 11:46pm
Yep, got that it's on the stove as I type, Thanks

nzl99, May 1, 12:02am
Just don't inhale the steam...

anne1955, May 1, 12:03am
Mix a thick paste of baking soda and a little water and cover and leave a day thing bring to boilo and start the removal..oven cleaner sometimes works as well..the other thing I have been told is putting pot into ground fill with dirt and leave a week or so..no really had lots of oldies tell me that one over the years I seem to find the baking soda works..and it's cheap to buy...

mas45, May 1, 12:27am
No worries there, I took it that the reason dishwashing powder works is it has some amount of caustic in it.

mas45, May 1, 12:30am
Thanks I might give the soda a go if the dish powder doesn't work and I seem to remember my nana saying something about burying a pot to clean it. I just thought that out of sight out of mind and if you forgot where you buried it, you'd have the excuse to buy a new one.

omokoroa1, May 1, 12:50am
aint it funny ....i have 50 million pots in my kitchen and i only spoil 1..haha!!!
i go nuts if my boys use it and dont wash the damn thingi mean theres still 49 million pots in the kitchen i just get so grizzle guts at them when they go use MY baby

kuaka, May 1, 1:12am
If it's aluminium, boil some rhubarb in it once you've removed the worst of the burnt stuff.

rainrain1, May 1, 1:17am
how's your bum now mas45 ?

mas45, May 1, 1:22am
Ha ha ha, Never had my bum so attentively looked after. Unfortunately I may have to try the soda thingy recipe. But thanks for enquiring ;-)

rainrain1, May 1, 1:36am
I wonder would paint stripper work

rainrain1, May 1, 1:37am
or oven cleaner even

mas45, May 1, 2:11am
I'll try the soda mixture then the burying the little sucker. Then last and certainly least the 12 gauge

gardie, May 1, 3:08am
Burying doesn't work - it just camouflages the black until you wash it again.

mas45, May 1, 3:36am
Bugger!

kay141, May 1, 4:19am
it does work. Maybe the worms eat the burnt stuff. Might depend on the metal in the pot.

korbo, May 1, 4:21am
wow, this happened to me last week, i just put baking soda and teeny wee bit of water in, over 2-3 days, and eventually got it clean. Did use one of those silver pot things steelo i think, and with a bit of hard rubbing got it clean. quince jelly is so yummy ....

mas45, May 1, 4:40am
Yep, I think I'll have to try the baking soda. I have a pot load of quince pulp draining now to make some jelly and because of this flippin thread. I'm sitting here watching the league and eating rice pudding with fresh cream on it...life is good

mas45, May 1, 11:06pm
I made a batch of Quince jam last night and left the pot unattended. I came out and smelt it burning. The bum of the pot has about a cm thick crust of burnt jam in it. Whats the best way to clean it, elbow grease, soaking, a small nuclear device or chuck it away! Matt

mas45, May 1, 11:19pm
Legend! Thanks will give it a go. It's my favourite big stock pot

mas45, May 1, 11:46pm
Yep, got that it's on the stove as I type, Thanks

nzl99, May 2, 12:02am
Just don't inhale the steam.