Bulk Limes...what to do, what to do...

Page 1 / 2
leahgrace, Apr 23, 9:41am
x1
I have 27 laden lime trees & am looking for recipes that uses bulk limes. I've made lime chutney and lime butter, also juiced them but then what to do with so much juice?! Have frozen some in ice cube trays for future use but frankly, I'm not a big cook and won't use that much. I have given boxes of limes to local charities to sell, inundated everyone I know with limes, even given them away free to local restaurants and still they fall off the trees. I have typed 'limes' in the sidebar here and not seen anything that uses bulk limes... it's a shame to see them go to waste so any help appreciated. Thanks muchly!

be21, Apr 23, 10:15am
Oh my god you are so lucky... We go fishing and make ceviche (fresh raw fish that cooks in lime juice), over new year time limes were $39.99 per Kilo in Queenstown! Cost me $18 for three, so i ended up buing the the fake lime juice in the bottle to top it up.

julie_, Apr 23, 10:21am
Mojitos!And some guacamole to go with it :)

I know that doesn't take too many limes, but yum! :D

smileeah, Apr 23, 10:53am

leahgrace, Apr 23, 8:25pm
$18 for 3 limes!! Wow I am potentially a millionaire lol! I've thought of selling them but....ummm... haven't. I have printed out the lime cordial recipe, thank you very much, better find some bottles to put it in before making it tho :-)

twindizzy, Apr 23, 10:02pm
Put some up on here for sale!

hollypc, Apr 23, 11:54pm
I just made chilli jam ,has four limes in, its Annabel Langbeins recipe an gee its yum.

uli, Apr 24, 12:42am
List them on TM - like all the others that have bulk limes...

But really make yourself some sort of business plan:

SELL them to local restaurants - only give free samples ... never give too many freebies - sell sell sell.

Keep thinking who might want them (go through your local town looking and thinking:
hospital, restaurants, fish and chip shops, mad butcher, any fresh fish shop, supermarkets, dairies, petrol stations ... build up a clientele now - ready for next season.

Good luck!

schnauzer11, Apr 24, 12:02pm
Offer them for sale on Trademe-under foods.Check any freight price per kilo first-you could do well with 2-kg boxes full.I'm a starter!

leahgrace, Apr 24, 4:26pm
Thanks guys, I did offer them on TM for $5 a kg but nobody bid, I know I should try to sell them as uli says, it is a big step out of my comfort zone to be a 'salesperson' though, the very thought of approaching businesses makes me feel nervous and a bit sick lol. If you want some schnauzer you are welcome to them, I could set up an auction for you :-)

angelbaby69nz, Apr 24, 9:57pm
May i make a suggestion, find out the cost of limes per kilo, bag them up and take them to the restaurants to sell., i know if someone came to ours offering limes at half the cost id be keen, im in wellington tho.People prob didnt bid because by the time you add postage it would be the same as buying them in the shops....( not when they were $29 a kilo tho! ) - i would of bid :) haha we use multiple kilo a day....

norse_westie, Apr 25, 12:57am
List them on here for sale. I would buy some.

ashanti, Apr 25, 1:02am
What about bagging some up and selling them at your local petrol station? The petrol station in Kaitaia sells avos and other fruit at $3.00 a bag, they move pretty quickly.

svx1, Apr 25, 1:34am
Hi leahgrace I am up here on holiday would love to buy some going home tomorrow would you place a auction for me cheers

leahgrace, Apr 25, 7:46am
Hi svx1 I will do that under the food category, hope you get this in time, sorry I just got on the computer again...we may see you tomorrow then! :-)

twindizzy, Apr 25, 9:31pm
Same! I notice you have listed some Leah- would you consider putting them in a post/courier bag to send?

uli, Apr 25, 10:10pm
Too lazy to juice them yourself?

beaker59, Apr 25, 10:16pm
I like Lime marmalade.

Has anyone tried Limoncello with limes ?

uli, Apr 25, 10:32pm
Yes I have beaker - absolutely excellent - didn't last long at all.
I grated the rind off though (not peeled) - so when filtered off I could use the gratings in soups, stews, fish, baking - was great! Should do it again!

bearskin, Apr 25, 11:59pm
I like them preserved in the same way you would make a jar of preserved lemons - prefer them to the lemon version. You just need jars and a load of salt.

rodcindy, Apr 26, 10:14pm
I will gladly send postage to get some !!

jennie5963, Apr 28, 1:49am
If you can't utilise 27 lime trees why don't you pull 25 of them out and replace with lemons, mandarins (clearly no problem growing citrus) and a vege patch or redesign the whole yard to suit your needs.

missmalice, Apr 28, 2:48am
I would totally buy them if you would ship to Auckland :(

Lime Pie with Ginger Crust - I WANT YOUR LIMES!!!!!!!! :p

missmalice, Apr 28, 2:51am
In fact I would send you a NZ Couriers ticket - 1 shorthaul ticket for up to 15kgs or 0.025m3 cost $7.57 :D

leahgrace, Apr 28, 7:00am
Hmm yes people say 'if you list I will buy' but then they don't , listing on TM is not something I can be bothered with right now esp when people want them posted & for the $ I'd be making I have to pick them, get a box, pack them up, take it to the couriers... oh man I would rather give them away to people who can just come and get 'em! Not sure why I would want heaps of lemons & mandarins instead of heaps of limes, still be the same issue with having bulk fruit! Thanks though :-)