One-week-wonder bench space hoggers...

Page 1 / 4
elliehen, Apr 14, 11:09pm
I've just been inspired by this post from rainrain (about a Crepe Maker) to ask which gadgets or small appliances have turned out to be 'lemons' for others.

My own waste of space was a pie-maker, although I did buya Breville muffin-maker on Trade Me and use that frequently.

waswoods, Apr 14, 11:18pm
Popcorn maker!

lilyfield, Apr 14, 11:21pm
milk shake thingie

lilyfield, Apr 14, 11:27pm
rice cookers ---- for me anyway

purplegoanna, Apr 14, 11:28pm
muffin maker..just wasnt the same as oven muffins...sold it on tm last week....but pmsl i love my pie maker...

elliehen, Apr 14, 11:30pm
A clutter of little Tupperware widgets I acquired in early days - like an egg yolk/white separator - rattled about in a kitchen drawer for years until I put them in the toybox.

elliehen, Apr 14, 11:31pm
Isn't that great, purplegoanna - they do say that one person's trash is another person's treasure ;)

asue, Apr 14, 11:48pm
pie maker

ant_sonja, Apr 15, 12:03am
bread maker - much rather stick to making my bread by hand kneading and using the oven. If I feel really lazy the kitchen aid comes out for the kneading part :-)

bearskin, Apr 15, 12:18am
Espresso coffee machine, Ice cream maker, bread machine (I bake my own hand-made Sourdough bread every weekend now though).

Best-used: Kitchenaid mixer (every other day at least) and, surprisingly, our Breville waffle-maker gets a weekly airing - has become a Sunday morning routine. Also, get a fair bit of use from our deep-fryer.

carolyn20, Apr 15, 1:38am
A juice extractor. Prob only gets used once a year (for the childrens amusement) and the cleaning up takes forever.

davidt4, Apr 15, 2:06am
Pasta machine.

sandra25, Apr 15, 2:33am
Hotdog maker, Waffle maker, Popcorn maker, Ice cream maker, Bench top oven, Food processor, Pie maker, Blender... I have them all. They all start on the bench and are now relegated to the pantry floor. Not too sure what else is lurking down there. I do use my breadmaker 2-3 times a week and my rice cooker once a week - couldn't live without either. The Bamix has supersceded the food processor and blender.

charlieb2, Apr 15, 2:52am
popcorn maker.... I use everything else.. but NOTHING hogs bench space as all appliances are put away in cupboards....

maynard9, Apr 15, 2:59am
I'm with you Charlie2.I have no appliances at all on my bench - despite having heaps available.I just prefer them all away, hence my gratefulness at having lots of cupboards.Not even my electric jug is out as I don't have hot drinks and hubby only has 1 coffee a day so just heats in microwave.Whenever he comes home and finds the jug on the bench he says "Had visitors"?

The only real appliance that I consider a lemon is the juice extractor.I thought I would use it heaps but nope.Everything else I thrash and am dreading them going bang as I know I am going to struggle to replace such good quality.All my major appliances I bought 30 years ago when I got married and are still going strong (like my marriage - haha - and hubby - even more haha).I was looking at mixers and processors recently in Farmers and cringed at their flimsiness.

buzzy110, Apr 15, 3:06am
Crock pot. More like a crock-o-shite. Takes moist, juicy meat and turns it into dried out, lukewarm dog tucker. I'm hoping I can put it to good use to make intensely sweet fermented grains. Fingers crossed.

kay141, Apr 15, 3:11am
I don't have any appliances I don't use. I have a blender, food processor, 2 crockpots and the usual toaster etc. Reading these lists I feel very deprived.

cookessentials, Apr 15, 3:16am
I dont have anything that i would throw out..i dont have a heap of gadgets. i LOVE my crockpot and have never had dried out anything...must be the operator rather than the machine??
Was given a George Foreman grill that I never used which i sold on Trademe and alos a bread maker that never came out of it's box. i prefer to make my bread by hand....I love kneading bread.

buzzy110, Apr 15, 4:16am
Pity you can't follow your own advice eh cooks.

goldgurl, Apr 15, 4:24am
actually I was going to say the same thing sorry buzzy...I LOVE my crock pot - have never had anything go dry in it...has anyone else??Seriously...if anything it turns the toughest meat into MELT-in-ya-mouth!!

and what's with the 'quote' from another thread...that's sooo spookily stalkerish!! lol.

jessie981, Apr 15, 4:27am
Electric jug is the only appliance I leave out. Soda Stream has takenup residence in the garage. Probably only been used a handful of times.

kay141, Apr 15, 4:33am
Mine is too but crockpots and yoghurt maker live in top of the fridge, I'm a bit short of cupboard space and they are handy to get at.

cookessentials, Apr 15, 4:33am
It would have to be a first hearing that something from a crockpot is dry...never had a problem and apart from my cast iron casserole is the only way i would do one.

cookessentials, Apr 15, 4:34am
that's normal behaviour.

kay141, Apr 15, 4:39am
I've never had anything go dry either, I have 2 and use them frequently, often both at the same time. As there is only me, it is a good way to fill up the freezer with quick meals in the winter.