What to do with topside

Page 1 / 2
bratbarbie, Apr 11, 7:48am
Had a beast done and have a bit of topside. Tried to cook it in th crock pot but didnt turn out very well. Is there anything you can do with it other than feed it to the cats lol. Have been told you could get it made into sausages. But can they do this when its already been frozen???

winnie231, Apr 11, 7:57am
Thaw, mince, make your fav meatball recipe ... cook then refreeze spread out on a tray. Bag them once frozen ... that way you can get out only what you need for a meal :)

kay141, Apr 11, 8:00am
I potroast pieces of topside. I always use a pot, brown it first, remove, brown onions, add meat and stock. Bring to boil, then low simmer. I have never tried the crockpot as I like it browned all over first.

kmole, Apr 11, 8:05am
I turn mine into snitzel.So take a roast out, then when its still a bit frozen slice it, then crumb it.
steak sammies.
Or I cut it into chunks and use it for stroganoff, or stir fry or casserole.
Or you could cook it down and make it into a pie (cut into chunks again)etc etc etc..
What type of beast?I find if its a nice beef breed, I can do anything with topside really, friesian is a bit tougher, but you just cut it smaller and cook slower...

kmole, Apr 11, 8:07am
Nah, wouldn't get it made into sausages, you normally have to have a heap, before they start up the sausage machine, plus I don't think it would be that nice thawed then frozen again??

kuaka, Apr 11, 8:28am
If it's a topside roast, then roast it.That's the only cut of beef I've ever roasted.Hot oven and hot fat to brown it, then turn it down a bit, but not too much, serve it slightly under-done, so it is still juicy and pink.Yum.

esther-anne, Apr 11, 8:33am
I'm a bit surprised that topside seems to be so under-rated!I slow roast in the oven and it's delicious, the drippings make lovely gravy!!

We can't afford more expensive roasts and even topside is getting expensive when supermarkets seem to put huge pieces on sale that are just too big for small families - or just two as we are now!!!

nfh1, Apr 11, 8:42am
Yep me too.

bratbarbie, Apr 11, 8:48am
The last packet i took out of the freezer was big over sized stake looking thing. It all just fell apart in the crock pot into a mush of meat. Was kinda gross. Um its from a fr.

kmole, Apr 11, 8:51am
Don't get me wrong I love topside!

ridgeline, Apr 11, 9:07am
With topside we tend to slice thinly and use as ws, crumbed as kmole suggests or often we use for Chinese style cooking where there is an ample number of recipes which use thinly sliced beef. Topside has good flavour

kuaka, Apr 11, 9:19am
It would fall apart if cooked in the crockpot, as it doesn't need cooking "that" slowly!Roast it.It's delicious.Just make sure when you carve it, you cut across the grain, not with it, or it will be stringy.

lilyfield, Apr 11, 9:23am
makes wonderful goulash

kinna54, Apr 11, 9:31am
If it's a topside roast: then I suggest these recipes:
Flour the meat and cut a pocket in the roast and stuff it with a good old fashioned seasoning , lots of herbs and a bit of seed mustard,touch of garlic, and cook slowly in an oven bag.
#2rub the meat with a packet of "French Onion soup" all over to coat generously, and slowly roastin an oven bag, with maybe a touch of seed mustard and horseradish. (if you haven't got those herbs just use the soup). This was recommended to me by a butcher years ago, and is lovely and does tenderise and flavour the meat. * I used that often in my catering days*. When cutting or carvingtopside roast it is important to "go with the grain" otherwise meat will be coarse and tough. When roasting keep it pink, overcooking will make the meat dry.
#3.Slice into steak size pieces, coat in flour and sear quickly to brown, then slowly casserole with onions, layered sliced veges, and some good liquid beef stock or red wine,bay leaves, herbs.

wasgonna, Apr 11, 10:08am
When carving "go with the grain" ... wrong!!! ... Always cut across the grain.

seniorbones, Apr 11, 10:19am
we too have 1/2 a beast in the freezer and lots of topside roasts (this is the 3rd time so have a few left over from the last one) I usually cube it for casseroles or stuff it and roast, does make lovely dark gravy as someone else mentioned. But I like the idea of rubbing it with the onion soup. i will try that next time.

beaker59, Apr 11, 10:45am
I do agree that it is great roasted a tad pink though I do also like it in the Slow cooker as a convienient meal I set it up at lunchtime then go back to work and its a nice meal when we all get home. I brown well first in a cast iron pan then into the slow cooker saute some onions in the pan then a 1/2 cup of red wine to deglaze which is all tipped over the roast lid on and left til dinner time then its a simple matter of boiling a few spuds and some broccolli make a gravy from the juices and you have a nice meal. sure it falls apart a bit and is different to a pink roast but its great winter meal after a hard day at the office.

lythande1, Apr 11, 6:57pm
Topside is good as pot roast, needs the moisture.

dezzie, Apr 11, 7:58pm
lol, and next time you get a beast done, tell the guy you want shcnitzel instead of topside roasts, them and corned beef used to be the last things left floating around the bottom of the freezer when we got beasts done, before I started telling my homekill guy that.
On the subject, but not really, does anyone know if you could roast rolled brisket..without it being corned of course, I don't really see why it wouldn't work. I'm thinking you don't see many corned rolled briskets in the supermarket etc, maybe they just get called rolled roast..I must remember to ask me homekill mannie.

bratbarbie, Apr 12, 1:36am
I agree it was a very dry dish. Meat went dry after taken out of the crock pot.

kinna54, Apr 12, 2:18am
sorry wasgonna. So glad there are people like you out there to correct old buggers like me!! oops my typos were bad yesterday,and you were so right to correct me,another post I should have checked and edited. and I do know how to cut and cook meat. (cooked the way I suggested it should just about place itself on the plate anyway.) Head still works (some days,) hands and typing are shit.

farmers, Apr 12, 4:01am
we kill our own...I have never sucessfuly coked a topside roast, so not we use it as steaks, depending in the age its beautiful for stew!If a young beast the steak is a great bbq meat

cookessentials, Apr 12, 4:13am
I would NEVER do a topside roast again...even cooked pink, it can be very dry. I prefer to use a filet now for roasting and although expensive, for the odd time we have it, Iprefer to have something I really enjoy

lythande1, Apr 12, 4:31am
You cook it wrong:
1 1/4 kg topside
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 red onions , peeled and quartered
1/2 a celeriac , peeled and cut into chunks (optional)
12 carrots , peeled and halved lengthways
4 garlic cloves
400ml beef stock
100 ml red wine
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried herbs
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Instructions
1. Preheat slow cooker.
2. Heat oil in a large pan , and carefully brown beef on all sides, turning with two wooden spoons. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Add the vegetables and garlic to the pan and, stirring regularly, cook for 5 mins until the onions are beginning to go soft.
4. Transfer the vegetables to warmed crock pot and place the beef on top, push the beef down so it nestles among the vegetables.
5. Pour over stock, add the wine, oregano, mixed herbs and pepper.
6. Pour over the beef, add the bay leaf and cover. Cook on auto for 8-10 hours or low for 10-12 hours.
7. Once the beef is cooked, carefully remove from the crock pot and place on a warmed serving platter. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and arrange around the beef. Cover and keep warm.
8. For the gravy, ladle the liquid left in the crock pot into a saucepan, stir in the gravy granules and bring to the boil, simmer for 2 minutes.

cookessentials, Apr 12, 4:33am
I am talking roasted.