Pig's Head

Page 1 / 2
uli, Mar 31, 8:14am
bump for me - some pigs heads coming up soon.

antoniab, Mar 31, 8:19am
My husband made brawn for the first time a couple of months ago just from a recipe we found online - turned out lovely!

masina6, Mar 31, 8:27am
Try look on the Good Morning Show website on December recipes as they had roasted a pigs head and turned out really well.

pisces47, Mar 31, 9:42pm
How much meat is in one.What is the best way of cooking.$4 seems cheap for one but have no idea, it could all be bone and skin. Thanks

petal1955, Mar 31, 10:18pm
Makes excellent brawn.........my dad used to make years ago....unfortunately he never passed on his recipe.

pericles, Mar 31, 10:19pm
there is quite alot of meat, partner usually roasts them

elliehen, Mar 31, 10:23pm
I have the start of a brawn recipe from an old recipe book burned into my brain..."Take one pig's head, singe all over, cut off snout, clean out ears..."

I can remember no more - I shut the book at that point ;)

farmers, Apr 1, 12:16am
I boil in a pot, wait for it to cool and throw it out to the lab!

muffycaz, Apr 1, 12:43am
Brawn, brawn, brawnyum yum

vintagekitty, Apr 1, 12:56am
Ive always wanted to cook one and serve it on a platter for dinner - just for the novelty reaction of the family.

micky_1, Apr 1, 2:32am
pmsl what a brilliant idea next time we have a pot luck dinner...

vintagekitty, Apr 1, 2:34am
with a apple in its mouth, of course.....

micky_1, Apr 1, 2:47am
naturally

micky_1, Apr 1, 2:48am
in fact Ill rouse up the family for next weekend...I cant wait to see their faces..mwahahaha

beaker59, Apr 1, 2:55am
Heaps of meat on a head I haven't made brawn for years but google for a recipe I seem to recall adding lots of gravy beef to mine other wise it comes out a bit fatty but a head will give about 4 to 6 Kg of brawn so you have to like it EH!

I buy heads to mince up for the fat content when making sausages from Wild goats. I have roasted the cheeks they are delicious much like pork belly. The tonge is a tasty meal too. They are well worth the $4 if you can get over the yuk factor which doesn't worry me but some turn thier nose up at the drop of a hat.

elliehen, Apr 1, 3:20am
I've had a beautiful friendship with a kune kune named Matilda and she would certainly turn her nose up, even before the hat dropped ;)

pericles, Apr 1, 3:51am
BIL was horrified to find that his head (that my son had got for him) had no eyes.
my son is abutcher, and some ramdon guy walked into the shop and ask for just eyes

what the HELL would he do with just eyes?

elliehen, Apr 1, 3:57am
Dissect them?Dissecting sheeps' eyes always used to be part of laboratory work in high school Biology....and dogfish and frogs and worms.

jag5, Apr 1, 4:54am
The cheeks on pigs.....are the best meat anywhere on the pig.Sweet, tender (no muscles to contract) beautiful meat.

When we have our home kills done, we always ask for the cheeks back.

Boil the heads up for brawn.Not hard to do, and heaps of recipes out there.One thing...I do find you can't freeze it ...with the gelatine, just falls apart when defrosted.Would freeze in smaller quantites before adding gelatine, then make up batches as needed.

beaker59, Apr 1, 5:25am
What I found with freezing is that it breaks up when it thaws (something to do with ice crystals forming in the gel structure). Its not ruined though all that you need to do is heat until liquid then reset it in the fridge comes out good as new.

Yep who ever said it above the cheeks are awesome so much so that some butchers cut them off.

cheapmike, Apr 1, 11:47am
my father was a freezing worker and barbequed lambs cheeks were a real special treat (like what jag5 said). my partner is a pacific islander and roasted is always the way we go. You never know until you go.....

petal1955, Apr 1, 11:18pm
Makes excellent brawn.my dad used to make years ago.unfortunately he never passed on his recipe.

elliehen, Apr 1, 11:23pm
I have the start of a brawn recipe from an old recipe book burned into my brain."Take one pig's head, singe all over, cut off snout, clean out ears."

I can remember no more - I shut the book at that point ;)

skippie1, Apr 2, 2:03am
I have cooked up the heads and made sort of black pudding, I have my Oma's recipe to make that, the meat is delicious, I also add the pig's liver, when all is cooked I then proceed to make the pudding. It just isn't black as I have no pigs blood to add to make it black, taste is just the same.

cgvl, Apr 2, 3:24am
Brawn
½ pigs head
750g lean beef
1 onion chooped
1 carrot chopped
mixed herbs, all spice, salt ( darn aunty never gave me the quantities sorry)
3 whole cloves
12 peppercorns
½ an ox tongue or pigs or lambs tongues
Method:
Put all ingredients into a large pot and bring to the boil, cook for 4 hours.
Remove tongue and skin, remove rst of meat and cut up small.
Place in a mold and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Put a plate and weights on top to press.
Love this cold.