Pig's Head

Page 2 / 2
vintagekitty, Apr 2, 3:34am
with a apple in its mouth, of course.

beaker59, Apr 2, 3:55am
Heaps of meat on a head I haven't made brawn for years but google for a recipe I seem to recall adding lots of gravy beef to mine other wise it comes out a bit fatty but a head will give about 4 to 6 Kg of brawn so you have to like it EH!

I buy heads to mince up for the fat content when making sausages from Wild goats. I have roasted the cheeks they are delicious much like pork belly. The tonge is a tasty meal too. They are well worth the $4 if you can get over the yuk factor which doesn't worry me but some turn thier nose up at the drop of a hat.

elliehen, Apr 2, 4:20am
I've had a beautiful friendship with a kune kune named Matilda and she would certainly turn her nose up, even before the hat dropped ;)

pericles, Apr 2, 4:51am
BIL was horrified to find that his head (that my son had got for him) had no eyes.
my son is abutcher, and some ramdon guy walked into the shop and ask for just eyes

what the HELL would he do with just eyes!

elliehen, Apr 2, 4:57am
Dissect them!Dissecting sheeps' eyes always used to be part of laboratory work in high school Biology.and dogfish and frogs and worms.

jag5, Apr 2, 5:54am
The cheeks on pigs.are the best meat anywhere on the pig.Sweet, tender (no muscles to contract) beautiful meat.

When we have our home kills done, we always ask for the cheeks back.They are a special treat.

Boil the heads up for brawn.Not hard to do, and heaps of recipes out there.One thing.I do find you can't freeze it .with the gelatine, just falls apart when defrosted.Would freeze in smaller quantites before adding gelatine, then make up batches as needed.

motorbo, Apr 2, 6:44am
well i think eww but thruth be said we need to get into liking these different parts if we wanna eat meat

cheapmike, Apr 2, 12:47pm
my father was a freezing worker and barbequed lambs cheeks were a real special treat (like what jag5 said). my partner is a pacific islander and roasted is always the way we go. You never know until you go.

skippie1, Apr 3, 3:03am
I have cooked up the heads and made sort of black pudding, I have my Oma's recipe to make that, the meat is delicious, I also add the pig's liver, when all is cooked I then proceed to make the pudding. It just isn't black as I have no pigs blood to add to make it black, taste is just the same.

uli, Mar 3, 7:52am
bump for post #20 :)

beaker59, Mar 3, 8:10am
SSSSSSSSSSShhhh if everyone got to like them they will turn expensive and unaffordable like lamb shanks and ox tail.

moviebug, Mar 3, 8:34am
So true!

uli, Mar 3, 8:41am
Yep - lamb shanks were dog food when I first arrived in NZ - you could get a huge bag full for $5 LOL :)

beaker59, Mar 3, 9:08am
I can remember when Mum got ox tail for free the butcher couldn't sell them so gave to customers who asked.

Even offal is creeping up in price these days. Sheeps kidneys were 10 dollars Kg the other day.

masina6, Mar 31, 8:38am
Here is the link for the pig head on Good Morning:
http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/s2011-e051211-martinbosley-video-4590180

Enjoy : )

masina6, Mar 31, 8:38am
Here is the link for the pig head on Good Morning:
http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/s2011-e051211-martinbosley-video-4590180

Enjoy : )