Sweetcorn friters-how do you make them ?

Page 1 / 2
korbo, Mar 31, 9:44am
Been making these for 40plus years, but just lately they dont seem to cook right. havent changed my method but they seem doughy and seem to burn quickly.
How do you cook/make yours.??????????

elliehen, Mar 31, 10:25am
Fritter mixtures are best left to rest for 5 – 10 minutes to allow the flour to combine fully with the wet ingredients.Then heat a little oil in fry pan. Spoon fritter mixture into pan and cook slowly over medium heat until golden on each side and cooked through.

kinna54, Mar 31, 10:26am
This is my one, but I think the corn blends have changed. I notice some brands are quite oily, so that could have an effect. What do you cook them in i.e butter, oil, chefade? I just use a bit of light oil.

Corn Fritters
1 +1/2 cups corn kernels (can be frozen kernels or a 425g whole kernel corn.)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1 cup self raising flour
Chopped parsley or chives to taste.
1/2 cup roasted peppers .(optional)
1/2 cup chopped bacon or ham(optional)

Using a fork, beat the eggs, salt and milk in a mediumsized mixing bowl.
Stir in the drained corn, bacon or ham, peppers.

Sprinkle the flour on top of the corn mixture, then stir it through the mix only until there are no pockets of dry flour.
Do not mix until smooth as over mixing will make the fritters tough.
Cook teaspoonfuls (for cocktail size, heaped dessertspoonfuls for larger fritters) of mixture in canola or light oil at least 1 cm deep, turning with tongs until the crust is golden brown.
To test if the centre is cooked, pierce the fritter with a pointed knife. (Uncooked batter will leave a smear on the blade.)

Serve cocktail fritters on a toothpick with a chilli dip on the side, orserve larger fritters topped with salsa and accompanied witha green salad.

perle, Mar 31, 10:41am
I made awesome ones tonight!!
3/4 cup flour
1tsp baking powder
1 egg
1tsp sugar or runny honey
1 tin creamed corn
(i added chopped bacon)

Now its really easy.. put dry ingredients in bowl. add corn and egg (add honey now if using) mix all together, should be quite a thick mixture.
Cook in spoonfuls, oiled pan, medium heat..

These lil beauties puff up quite nicely.

Nice and crispy on outside, fluffy and light on inside :) yum. even better served with sweet chilli sauce or some kind of relish or salsa.. or i think made into a stack with bacon in between.. yum

nzl99, Mar 31, 6:56pm
I've finally been making some really tasty ones!Despite what my recipe says, I now only use fresh cooked corn off the cobb. :-)Makes beautiful fritters with a nice texture with the corn so fresh... much sweeter than creamed/canned corn.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2108981&id=1225939081&l=547fe7b885

korbo, Mar 31, 7:00pm
thanks peeps, recipes seem basically all the same.
I think kinna is right, the texture of creamed corn seems to vary from brand to brand. I used budget last night, normally only use oak or watties.
They just seemed quite doughy.
Do you use self raising or is plain flour and bp better.

ruby19, Mar 31, 7:05pm
I have also read chefs only cook fritters until coloured on both sides then pop into oven to finish cooking.

nzl99, Mar 31, 7:55pm
Never needed soda water.Fresh corn off the cobb really does make the POD I think.

Heat the oil in your pan over a LOW temp... don't crank it up... you will only burn the fritters on the outside and leave them raw in the middle.I've found this works well for pikelets etc too.The outside will go golden and crisp and the middle will cook light and fluffy.Takes about 4 mins either side.Only turn once.About 1T of oil per pan lot of fritters, too much and they will go soggy, not enough and they are dry.Don't over crowd your pan, the temp will drop and it makes turning them tricky.Hehe I think that's all I've learnt about fritters!

maysept, Mar 31, 8:49pm
No but I've recently started using beer in mine, and they are so light and tasty.

miss-skyline, Apr 1, 1:41am
no fail corn fritters

1 can of kernal corn& its juice
1 egg/beaten
1 spring onion or finely chopped onion
1 c selfraising flour
s&p
in a bowl empty tin of corn and its juice,add beaten egg and add chopped spring onion/onion then slowly stir in the flour mix until batter is lumpfree.then let mixture sit for at least 3 mins.
heat oil in your pan over a medium heat and cook until bubbles appear on top then turn,these should turn out really crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside,everytime i make these there gone in a flash..
enjoy.

dalkemade, Apr 1, 2:24am
miss-skyline- I use the same recipe and its very good.

happy-me, Apr 1, 3:02am
MMMM they sound good might make them for lunch tomorrow!

cookessentials, Apr 1, 3:07am
I use my Mum's recipe which would be over 40 years old. I use creamed corn an egg and ( I think) a tbsp flour and baking powder...i cant remember those two amounts as recipe is at home.

korbo, Apr 1, 3:28am
thanks for all the input....skyline and cookes...same recipe i have been using. In fact the leftovers were much nicer cold eaten today.

eastie3, Apr 1, 3:48am
korbo wrote:
thanks peeps, recipes seem basically all the same.
I think kinna is right, the texture of creamed corn seems to vary from brand to brand. I used budget last night, normally only use oak or watties.
They just seemed quite doughy.

I agree with the above comment re budget brand creamed corn.My fritter recipe which separates the eggs and beats the whites is normally failsafe but I also got oily,doughy fritters.Very disappointing.With corn it does pay to spend a little bit extra and buy branded cream corn,or use kernals instead.

korbo, Apr 1, 8:56pm
agrre eastie3.

litedelites, Apr 1, 9:27pm
What i add to mine to give a kick is some feta cheese - yum :)

kcc55a, Apr 1, 9:31pm
How do you get the mixture"lump free" if its got the corn kernels in it?Isnt it better to make the fritter paste first then add the corn???

denshon, Apr 2, 2:02am
Hi
The sodawater recipe is from Annablle Langbeins book, I only use sodawater in all fritters, eggs , SR flour, sodawater and had whatever, corn, spinach, courgettes, small pieces roast veges, bacon,I mix 1cup flour to 1 egg and just add sodawater until the thickness you want, also add any herbs I have around

purplegoanna, Apr 2, 10:55pm
add some finley grated pumpkin and a smidgen of curry poweder and serve with mango chutney....its yummy...we had them served this way by some tibetan monks years ago, ill neva forget how devine they were.

harrislucinda, Apr 3, 1:10am
justmadethemforlunchbutwithfreshcornyumm

juliewn, Apr 3, 11:42am
I made corn fritters for lunch too.. used a cup of flour, 2 tsp baking powder, a can of whole kernel corn, a large grated scallopini, chopped parsley and several heaped tablespoons of delicious chow-chow-like pickle with a little chilli included that a friend gave me.. and added seasonings.. the flavour was amazing. I used two eggs instead of the usual one.

I saw someone making sweetcorn fritters on TV recently - the person used an extra egg and said that can be the answer to having light fritters - tried it this time and I think it made a difference - there are none left anyhow!

elliehen, Apr 3, 11:52am
I agree, juliewn.More eggs, less flour makes a better fritter.Your chow chow and chilli is a good idea.I like a little jalapeno relish in mine.

kstar21, Apr 3, 1:07pm
my mum has made (in my book) the best ever corn fritters i have taken on the skill all as above but my mum and nana swear by OAK CREAMED CORN it is the best in a yellow tin

nzl99, Apr 3, 7:11pm
I can't eat Oak cc after finding a spring in a tin, years ago. haha