The industry-wide secret butchers

Page 1 / 2
flaxy1, Mar 31, 12:27am
don't want you to know about: The special product called Meat Glue sticking your steak together.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens here in NZ too.

As always the Australian consumer gets a rough deal compared to other OECD countries. The Australia-New Zealand Food Authority asleep at the wheel again.

This fact has been hidden from the public – fortunately Channel 7 has brought it out in the public domain.

The best way to avoid suchmanufactured meat is to look for organic and discuss the issue with your butcher.Only informed customers can make informed choices.

Veronica Griffin, M.Sc.Ph.D.

Interesting andalarming Today Tonight on blood products in Aussie... 'meat glue'...-

Channel 7's, Today/Tonight show did a story on an additive made with beef and pigs blood that is used in some meats here in Australia..You can still read or hear the story on the net if you don't leave it too long. This products is banned in other countries but not here !

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/article/8989315/consumer/meat-glue

kay141, Mar 31, 1:56am
Won't happen if you go to a butcher and watch the steak being sliced off for you.

terachaos, Mar 31, 2:31am
Thanks for posting that. I for one, appreciate being informed. It seems even the experts are fooled into thinking the steak is the real thing. Just wondering though, one comment is about some steak having yellow fat, indicates a Jersey or Jersey cross??? I don't eat meat but family members do, and I have passed that info on, and the furkids get fresh meat on occasion. Wonder if 'Farming' has seen the clip?

lythande1, Mar 31, 4:16am
And? Doesn't bother me, I don't like steak anyway but apart from perhaps being charged more for something that should be cheaper, the "glue" doesn't bother me. Natural ingredient.
And if you can't tell - as they say, who cares? If it was rubbish meat, it would be tougher. But seems not.

kay141, Mar 31, 6:54am
The yellow fat comment could be true. I was always told yellow fat was old dairy cow.

dezzie, Mar 31, 7:23am
lol even young jerseys have yellow fat, I guess its a bit like brown and white egg shells depending on the breed of chook that lays them.
Jersey meat is the nicest of all, but sadly its hard to get commercially.
With reference to the meat glue, as far as I know its a natural product that has been around in various applications for years, how do you think they stick fish fingers and crab sticks together? I think its used in tofu as well.

ponyboy, Mar 31, 7:52am
My brother lives in China and he says they are making artificial food there now...he said i wouldnot want to know the sort of stuff that goes into them

flaxy1, Apr 1, 12:27am
don't want you to know about: The special product called Meat Glue sticking your steak together.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens here in NZ too.

As always the Australian consumer gets a rough deal compared to other OECD countries. The Australia-New Zealand Food Authority asleep at the wheel again.

This fact has been hidden from the public – fortunately Channel 7 has brought it out in the public domain.

The best way to avoid suchmanufactured meat is to look for organic and discuss the issue with your butcher.Only informed customers can make informed choices.

Veronica Griffin, M.Sc.Ph.D.

Interesting andalarming Today Tonight on blood products in Aussie. 'meat glue'.-

Channel 7's, Today/Tonight show did a story on an additive made with beef and pigs blood that is used in some meats here in Australia.You can still read or hear the story on the net if you don't leave it too long. This products is banned in other countries but not here !

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/article/8989315/consumer/meat-glue

uli, Apr 1, 12:39am
There is a lovely video on you-tube about artificial eggs :)

vintagekitty, Apr 1, 12:55am
it says its made from meat byproducts, so whats the issue?

gerry64, Apr 1, 12:58am
more of channel 7s scaremongering - surprised that after the Tony Abbott rubbish in Afghanistan anybody even watches this channel - been around for years and is a natural product

vintagekitty, Apr 1, 1:02am
Artificial food is the least of China's problems

ant_sonja, Apr 1, 1:05am
For me, the main issue would be that it's meat sold as steak as the video link shows, when in fact it's off cuts of meat glued together - the glue product may or may not be harmless but the consumer has a right to know what he/she is putting into their body..

gerry64, Apr 1, 1:16am
I am astonished that it is news to anybody that cheap stuff is not whole steak - same as the chicken in a lot of prepared chicken goods - my family call it regurgitated chicken -

kay141, Apr 1, 1:26am
One of my granddaughters used to call a certain fastfood chicken nuggets as pre-chewed. I notice she eats them now.

buzzy110, Apr 1, 1:52am
I have to admit I thought this was some sort of April Fools joke (though it was a bit early for that, but you never can underestimate Aussies) so I asked my butcher. He said it has been around for ages and that it is an extremely expensive product so the meat wouldn't be any cheaper.

He didn't think it contributed to food poisoning in beef because beef can be aged for months and still be safe to eat.

My only concern would be that it is a blood clotting agent. While that may be fine if it is found in 'intact' meat, once it is separated from the meat and processed, it then becomes a potentially harmful product.

Apparently it has been used in restaurants for as long as the product has been around!!!

kay141, Apr 1, 1:56am
Won't happen if you go to a butcher and watch the steak being sliced off for you.

terachaos, Apr 1, 2:31am
Thanks for posting that. I for one, appreciate being informed. It seems even the experts are fooled into thinking the steak is the real thing. Just wondering though, one comment is about some steak having yellow fat, indicates a Jersey or Jersey cross! I don't eat meat but family members do, and I have passed that info on, and the furkids get fresh meat on occasion. Wonder if 'Farming' has seen the clip!

lythande1, Apr 1, 4:16am
And! Doesn't bother me, I don't like steak anyway but apart from perhaps being charged more for something that should be cheaper, the "glue" doesn't bother me. Natural ingredient.
And if you can't tell - as they say, who cares! If it was rubbish meat, it would be tougher. But seems not.

dezzie, Apr 1, 7:23am
lol even young jerseys have yellow fat, I guess its a bit like brown and white egg shells depending on the breed of chook that lays them.
Jersey meat is the nicest of all, but sadly its hard to get commercially.
With reference to the meat glue, as far as I know its a natural product that has been around in various applications for years, how do you think they stick fish fingers and crab sticks together! I think its used in tofu as well.

ponyboy, Apr 1, 7:52am
My brother lives in China and he says they are making artificial food there now.he said i wouldnot want to know the sort of stuff that goes into them

vintagekitty, Apr 2, 1:55am
it says its made from meat byproducts, so whats the issue!

vintagekitty, Apr 2, 2:02am
Artificial food is the least of China's problems

ant_sonja, Apr 2, 2:05am
For me, the main issue would be that it's meat sold as steak as the video link shows, when in fact it's off cuts of meat glued together - the glue product may or may not be harmless but the consumer has a right to know what he/she is putting into their body.

buzzy110, Apr 2, 2:52am
I have to admit I thought this was some sort of April Fools joke (though it was a bit early for that, but you never can underestimate Aussies) so I asked my butcher. He said it has been around for ages and that it is an extremely expensive product so the meat wouldn't be any cheaper.

He didn't think it contributed to food poisoning in beef because beef can be aged for months and still be safe to eat.

My only concern would be that it is a blood clotting agent. While that may be fine if it is found in 'intact' meat, once it is separated from the meat and processed, it then becomes a potentially harmful product.

Apparently it has been used in restaurants for as long as the product has been around!