Cooked chicken, ideas for using...

4crittersnmee, Mar 6, 6:54pm
...we have 1 and a half cold cooked chickens (small) and I want some way to use them up today. I am really paranoid about reheating chicken, so tips on that would be good too.

We usually have cold chicken and salad (and that won't hurt us again) but other ideas would be great!

cartooncath, Mar 6, 6:59pm
I know the feeling about reheating chicken but as long as it is hot it's ok....I am paranoid about chicken anyway and tend to over cook which is why I have used cold cooked chicken in stew like dish, the liquid make sure it is super hot and cooked and gives it some moisture back.

I have used what every is around and being a tomatoe fan, it is always cans of tomatoes or chopped mexican ones.You can microwave some diced potatoes and kumera (what ever you fancy), what ever vegtables are around and throw it all in a pot with the chicken (don't make too small pieces or it will disappear as it heats) and slow heat on element or slow cooker until piping hot.I like to throw a few chilli's or spices in as we love hot food.If you have too much sauce you can throw on rice or just have as a gumpo or boil down until it reduces.

corgi731, Mar 6, 7:19pm
This is my family fav for left over cooked chicken, its from a century old maggi cookbook.
2 C Soft breadcrumbs
3 tsp mix herbs or thyme or sage
1 spring onion, chopped
4 tbsp butter melted
S & P
2 Cups cooked Chicken, chopped
1 pkt Maggi mushroom soup
1 C Water
1/2 Cup of Milk
1 egg, Beaten
Combined the breadcrumbs, herbs, spring onion, melted butter and s and p to make stuffing mixture and spread on the base of a buttered ovenware dish.On top of this lay the chicken pieces.Combine the maggi mushroom soup and water, bring to the boil and simmer 5 mins.Combined the beaten egg and the milk and add to the soup simmering a further 2 mins.Pour over the chicken, allow to seep through and bake at 180 C for 30 mins or until set.

nik12, Mar 6, 8:05pm
I vote for the above - yum! I sometimes add a wee bit of bacon as well.
If I've got left over gravey, I just layer chicken, seasoned bread crumbs, gravey in a casserole, finish with breadcrumbs.

ant_sonja, Mar 6, 8:37pm
How about chicken quesadillas? You'll need tortillas, shredded,cooked chicken, finely sliced capsicums, onion & grated cheese. Salt & Pepper, a little cumin & herbs such as cilantro and/or oregano (if available) - Season the shredded chicken and layer it in between two tortillas with the cheese and veggies. Heat oil or butter in a pan large enough to fit the tortilla and cook on both sides until golden brown and the filling has heated through. Slice into 'pizza' wedges and enjoy served with spicy salsa, guacamole and fresh green salad.

smileeah, Mar 6, 10:01pm
Chicken Burgers? I like to finely shred the chicken and add 1-2c fresh breadcrumbs, 1 egg, garlic, s+p, parsley and enough mayonaisse needed to be able to mould into patties. I then dip the patties in dry breadcrumbs and shallow fry until piping hot and golden.
Or warm burritos and make chicken and salad wraps.
Also chicken soup. Pizza.

seniorbones, Mar 6, 10:23pm
slice potatoe in the bottom of a greased dish cook in microwave until soften, sprinkle over spring onions and finely chopped red pepers, cooked chicken then made a cheese sauce not too cheesy add a tabs of mayo and 1/2 cup of wine makes it nice but not necessary, sprinkle with cheese and heat in oven until heated through,...serve with veges or salad.

pp11, Mar 7, 2:45am
Risotto, quiche, frittata, curry, fried rice spring to mind.

kinna54, Mar 7, 3:10am
Chicken chow mein.
Just add your broken up chicken meat to cosrsely chopped cabbage,(or bok choy) spring onion, celery (optional* my family hate it) and capsicum,.Stir fry , and addcooked egg noodles. I cook my noodles in chicken stock, or boiling water with chicken salt added if no stock to hand.)

antnrob, Apr 5, 4:13am
croquettes:add your chicken with mashed spud and wot ever vege,and herbs, then flour,egg and breadcrumb and deep fry......waaa laaa

crsdbl, Apr 5, 6:41am
i would probably make chicken sammies, YUM!! then a chicken pie and finaly chicken and vegetable soup.
yummy yummy.

janny3, Apr 17, 7:14am
Butter chicken pizza.Marinate sliced chicken breast in a few TB butter chicken sauce.Meanwhile spread butter chicken gravy over pizza base, then cheese &repeat layers of sliced red onions, cpl of hand fulls of spinach, halved cherry tomatoes & finally marinated sliced cooked chicken. You only need to slice the equivalent of one chicken breast to scatter over pizza.http://cook-eat-love.com/2009/10/butter-chicken-pizza/Really is yummy.

goldengirl7, Apr 17, 7:37am
Just tonight I made a pizza with cooked strips of chicken, banana, and little greek yoghurt in small spoonfuls on it.Tomato paste, and some tomatoes, peppers, corgettes, with a sprinkling of cheese.