A Muffin recipe please

autumnwinds, Jun 12, 11:28am
Some good info here, so **bump**

spencer26, Jun 12, 9:43pm
My muffins end up rather like stale scones rather than the light, well risen ones in coffee shops.
I would be grateful for any comments and/or recipes that would help me achieve my goal!
This is me current recipe.
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon-baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons raw sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
50 gr melted butter
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup sultanas
Where am I goin wrong?
Thanks
Spencer

kaddiew, Jun 12, 10:56pm
That's pretty much a standard recipe, although mine have twice that amount of butter. You could try frozen berries or fresh or canned fruit to add moisture - and whatever you do, fold the dry and wet mixes together GENTLY, and don't over cook them.

245sam, Jun 12, 10:58pm
spencer26, I suggest that you try using yoghurt instead of the milk in your recipe - in almost any muffin recipe yoghurt can replace the milk however I have found, as can be seen in the following recipe, that to get the same consistency it is best to add some extra milk as well as the yoghurt (used in the recipe's stated milk quantity).
Another thing that you may be doing is overmixing your muffins - they should only be mixed until the dry ingredients are just moistened remembering that by the time the mixture is divided into the muffin pan, it will have been stirred/mixed more. If you are a chocolate fan try the following recipe which makes the yummiest of chocolate muffins and is a relatively 'forgiving' mixture in that it doesn't seem to matter so much if the mixture has that extra stir or two which is usually a no-no for the best quality muffins.
TRIPLE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
3 cups plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp cocoa
1½ cups brown sugar
½ cup each of dark chocolate dots and white chocolate dots – or chocolate buttons, quartered
120g butter, melted
1¼ cups milk or 1 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt + ½ cup milk
2 x 60g eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 5cm muffin pan.
Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a bowl. Add the brown sugar and dark and white chocolate dots. Mix, then add the melted butter, milk (or yoghurt and milk) and eggs and mix well. Three-quarters fill each of the muffin moulds.
Bake at 180°C for approximately 20 minutes.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before turning out.

Hope that helps. :-))

petal1955, Jun 12, 11:45pm
The secret to muffins is keep the wet and dry ingredients separate then mix Don t over mix otherwise they will be tough

spencer26, Jun 13, 3:09am
Thanks. I think I may have been over mixing. The chocol;ate muffins sound great. I will try them

marcs, Jun 13, 9:34am
The recipe looks right. Try using butter milk instead of milk. you can make your own by add 1/2 tsp vinegar to the milk. The tricks to muffin making are. You mix all your dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix together all your wet ingredients in another. You then add wet to the dry and using a spatchular mix only till just combined. If it is lumpy, leave it be. Tough muffins happen if you over mix it. Heat should be about 180c for fan forced ovens. There is a bit less sugar so muffins may not so moist but if it is a good recipe that works then wonderful. Try substituting for brown sugar.

cookiebarrel, Aug 31, 2:18am
Over beating Muffin mix was were I went wrong also. Once the lovely ladies :-) here put me right I have been able to make lovely muffins and keep everyone happy. Cupcakes are a different matter and I am pretty good with them also!