Maxims for Dedicated Cooks

Page 1 / 3
indy95, Feb 11, 10:01pm
I should think everyone knows the one which goes " Never trust a skinny cook " but how many others have you heard of ? I like this one from Alexa Johnston's " A Second Helping ":-

" No mean cook can cook well ; it calls for a generous spirit, a light hand and a large heart ".

uli, Feb 11, 10:45pm
Hmmm - I always thought it was "... . lots and lots of butter ... " LOL :)

andrea1978, Feb 11, 10:46pm
haha my friend is training to be a chef and is topping the class, but she says she likes my cooking as "I cook with love" lol - so I like that indy95! She is one of these fast and efficient people and I am the slowest cook on earth!

fruitluva2, Feb 11, 10:50pm
Hmmm I was skinnysize 10 cook till last year or so and everyone went crazy for my cooking lol especially when the plates heaped with variety haha

davidt4, Feb 11, 10:57pm
That's my theory too...

indy95, Feb 11, 10:59pm
Well, who would have guessed that ?

bedazzledjewels, Feb 11, 11:18pm
All the top chefs praise butter as it carries flavour perfectly.
Plenty of it used in French cuisine too. And duck fat, which I must start using as it's the most beautiful stuff ever - soft and silky!

sukhita, Feb 11, 11:26pm
Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing!

valentino, Feb 11, 11:34pm
Yep, love butter ... Butter brings out the real flavour and gets the taste buds going... though having said that, do use oil for most cooking but if something special and needing that nice finishing taste then butter is used... Only problem with butter is I got too watch my colesteral (sp) levels, lol.

mwood, Feb 12, 12:40am
a skinny chef will beat a fat cook any day lol

fruitluva2, Feb 12, 1:34am
I mean I was a skinny cook at the time they were crazy for my cooking/ baking, lol. Good cooks come in all sizes.

cookessentials, Feb 12, 2:30am
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
Harriet Van Horne

cookessentials, Feb 12, 2:32am
Fervet olla, vivit amicitia: While the pot boils, friendship endures. (Meaning the man who gives good dinners has plenty of friends).
Latin Proverb

cookessentials, Feb 12, 2:41am
“The biggest seller is cookbooks and the second is diet books — how not to eat what you've just learned how to cook. ”
Andy Rooney

pam.delilah, Feb 12, 2:49am
Julia Child loved to use butter as well, as she said;

“Many aspects of my method are based on my feeling and experience. For instance, I always give my bird a generous butter massage before I put it in the oven. Why? Because I think the chicken likes it—and, more important, I like to give it”.

So be like her and Boutez en Avant! (Charge ahead)

nicolejack, Feb 12, 2:56am
The ultimate food quote from Miss Piggy "Never eat more than you can lift"

cookessentials, Feb 12, 3:04am
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers?

cookessentials, Feb 12, 3:05am
Welcome to the Church of the Holy Cabbage. Lettuce pray.

cookessentials, Feb 12, 3:06am
After all the trouble you go to, you get about as much actual "food" out of eating an artichoke as you would from licking 30 or 40 postage stamps. -Miss Piggy

cookessentials, Feb 12, 3:09am
A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch. -James Beard

cookessentials, Feb 12, 3:11am
Condensed milk is wonderful. I don't see how they can get a cow to sit down on those little cans. - Fred Allen

indy95, Feb 12, 3:24am
" It is worth remembering that in it's purest form a recipe was simply a cook's receipt written in a ledger to show where the housekeeping money had gone " :- Nigel Slater

fmgirl, Feb 12, 3:43am
I'm from the Nigella Lawson school of cookery - I love to eat therefore I cook.

elliehen, Feb 12, 3:54am
Old Amish saying for new brides: "Cookin' lasts, Kissin' don't. "

hezwez, Feb 12, 4:15am
Shouldn't it be a lard heart? ;-)