Am doing a liver cleanse but need help

Page 1 / 2
debudder, Oct 10, 9:00am
It is 21 days and am only supposed to eat fruit and veggies, no white bread so if you have anything in the way of recipes that would be awesome.

sampa, Oct 10, 9:10am
Does the diet/detox/cleanse you're intending to do have a name? If so that would be helpful in offering suggestions or, even better, do you have a link to it?

debudder, Oct 10, 9:11am
The ultimate Cleanse by health house

sampa, Oct 10, 9:37am
Will you also be taking supplements of any kind during this? If so what?

Always best to know when offering dietary suggestions, there are times when too much of something is as bad as too little.

daarhn, Oct 10, 9:43am
You do realize there are no health benefits to a detox diet, you're just wasting your time and money? Toxins don't build up in any part of your body. Your liver and kidneys ARE your detox system.

I went through many 'detoxes' and just as many fad diets until I spent the same amount of energy into researching if detox diets work. They don't! In fact they can be harmful for some folk.

The best approach is a 'clean eating' diet that limits high fat, sugary salty processed foods replacing with more fruit and veggies and increase your physical activity. I'm currently on a 12 week challenge incorporating a clean eating diet and physical activity. 7 weeks in and I've dropped 15kg and 18 cm of my waist and feel 'Alive'.

There are many great recipes here for a 'clean eating diet'.

Good luck with your detox. Perhaps report in every now and then so we can follow your progress?

debudder, Oct 10, 9:47am
Will do that daarhn if I can still manage to survive without meat, and sugar.

sampa, Oct 10, 9:55am
daarhn what you've achieved is fantastic! But, just like you did, others have to find their own path to that place and right now debudder is attempting to find theirs. So let's be supportive and try to help and, if it doesn't work out long term, perhaps he/she will come back for more advice and insight from others that have been down the same road such as yourself.

daarhn, Oct 10, 10:03am
Exactly! Hence the support and advice I've shared and offered from my 'own' experience, wishing them luck and encouraging to report back during their 21 day detox their experience.

daarhn, Oct 10, 10:05am
You can do it. its a mind set!

When it gets hard think of that fabulous sense of achievement you're working towards and that big double grilled cheese burger waiting for you on the other side hehe

sampa, Oct 10, 10:18am
A Biblical quote, love it.

lythande1, Oct 10, 6:37pm
Your liver filters toxins from the body all by itself.
If you think it needs help, stop drinking, avoid other drugs.

debudder, Oct 10, 7:56pm
Judge much, I do not do drugs other than panadol for head aches and a would be lucky to fdrink 12 glasses of alcohol a year. So before you bleat off my dear maybe stand back and think or ask rather than assuming because it just makes an ass out of you.

davidt4, Oct 10, 11:21pm

debudder, Oct 12, 10:17am
Thanks David but if doing this helps me change my eating for the better really there isn't a problem. although I would love suggestions on foods. Having a smoothie for brekkie, a tomatoe and cucumber sandwich for lunch but the evening meal is what I am needing help with. Steamed Veggies are rather bland.

malcovy, Oct 12, 4:55pm
Debudder, I used the product from Healthhouse over 9 years ago and it led me on a wonderful journey. What I remember most was the mind chatter stopped and I became calm. My body stopped aching and I lost weight. I finished the cleanse and made the mistake of eating a bran muffin and within 30 minutes one of my shoulders started to ache, and for that I am truly grateful. This product worked so well for me and was worth it.

buzzy110, Oct 12, 9:57pm
Well that is pleasant - not. No Chocolate? No tea? No coffee? No caffeine containing soft drinks? These substances all contain an addictive drug - caffeine. And if you take panadol then you are taking a drug, whichever way you excuse it.

I am often amazed at people who will say "I don't (insert whatever food or drug etc) except for. ". The reality is, of course, they are taking whatever it is they say they are not.

If you have to give up any of these caffeine containing substances for your cleanse then be aware that you MAY come down with an awesome, light sensitive, all over the head, headache that can last for up to 3 days. It will not have anything to do with cleansing your liver, it will just be a withdrawal headache.

Good luck with the cleanse and I hope others can give you some recipes, however, if you are just eating fruit and vegetables then most can be eaten as-is or lightly steamed. No further interference is needed. You could use your grater or a really sharp knife and make mixed salads along with a juicer or one of these gadgets that turns fruit and veg into juice without loss of roughage to add some sort of variety.

What sort of dressings are you allowed? Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice are probably best.

buzzy110, Oct 12, 11:24pm
One other really great food for what you want to do is sauerkraut. It can be made and ready to eat in 3 days. It is all vegetables and after 3 days of fermentation it will be full of the sorts of healthy bacteria that help your body to cleanse itself as well as the full complement of the vitamin B range of vitamins, minus vitamin B12.

Just like to reinforce one issue. Rewarding yourself for doing a good job. This is a great idea but highly processed, fat, salt and carbohydrate rich food is definitely not the best reward.

Two days ago, even though I do not need to lose weight, I rewarded myself for not being diagnosed with diabetes this year, with a lovely new soda stream. I put a small dash of apple cider vinegar into the cold water and carbonate it. It is so refreshing and makes water more desirable than just plain flat water. Water is quite filling. A large glass before meals means I eat less than I did two days ago. So cool.

uli, Oct 12, 11:59pm
OP wanted help with recipes for a detox diet. After buying a product from Health House OP is not sure how to survive without meat, white bread and sugar. So this is where the help part comes in.

If I remember correctly you have a yoghurt shake for breakfast together with the herbs? Then lunch and dinner is salads and veges with the odd fruit added. Is that still the case? Are you allowed any grains except rice?

sampa, Oct 13, 12:01am
I really like that idea and have been tossing the thought of purchasing a soda stream around recently. Will have to keep that in mind if I decide to go ahead.

buzzy110, Oct 13, 12:13am
Me too. I tossed the idea around for a whole year, discarding it as stupid over and over again but in the end, care of True Rewards of which I have thousands, the device cost me nothing and I needed a reward for another year of not becoming diabetic and maintaining my weight and good health. Water is a neutral food and carbonating it makes it "nicer".

Of course it doesn't match a Johanneshof Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer or any other wine from that particular stable but it will do for refreshing drinks over summer.

awoftam, Oct 13, 1:03am
Not sure whether you would eat this however what about felafel with a sauce made of some thick Greek yogurt that has had garlic, lemon juice and mint added? I eat this with a salad and its yummo. Will also help you get some protein to help you feel full and give you some energy.

Can you eat nuts? If so the carrot salad in this link is a yum salad that I use as a side dish or for dinner on its own:

http://www.meatfreemonday.org.nz/revive-cafe-recipes

The beetroot one is awesome too, I am making that for tonight.

sampa, Oct 13, 1:24am
I so want that - right now - ! I adore mint and miss it when it goes on strike in the garden. I bought some bulghur wheat with last weeks shopping - time for tabbouleh. :)

And koftas grilled on the BBQ. :):):)

With a huge tomato salad drizzled with great olive oil and fresh lemon juice, sprinkled with mint and tucked up with a few basil leaves.

and. hungry!

Sign reads - Gone Gardening - back in 5. ;-)

sampa, Oct 13, 1:27am
I have no intention of missing out on any of the above. I'll just correct the balance by sipping my cider and water while waiting for the vino to cool.

awoftam, Oct 13, 2:32am
sampa my mint is on strike too so ripped it apart to repot and need to get onto that this week. I use it a lot in salads and other things.

This looks blimmin stunning too - will try this week. Started to dribble just reading about it - the sage will make this dish stunning.

http://www.meatfreemonday.org.nz/recipe/sage-and-lemon-butter-beans-dressed-with-garlic-infused-extra-virgin-olive-oil

uli, Oct 13, 5:51am
OK since OP didn't come back yet - this is what can be eaten:
Foods allowed are most vegetables and fruits, plain yoghurt, avocados, olive oil, brown rice, herbal teas, natural flavourings and herbs.

OP you should also have gotten this booklet with tips and recipes with the kit:
http://www.healthhouse.co.nz/pamphlets/the%20ultimate%20cleanse%20booklet.pdf

So butter beans might be nice but that is not part of that cleanse - no pulses and no grains except rice (I thought I remembered that from way back).

Good luck with your cleanse!