Am doing a liver cleanse but need help

Page 2 / 2
debudder, Oct 13, 7:14am
Hey thanks guys, yes what Uli has said, so is very limited with what is allowed, I have done the 3 day pre cleanse and started the cleanse this morning, I did have a head ache last night but it didn't last so fingers crossed. Thank you for the recipe ideas will check them out later

beaker59, Oct 13, 5:36pm
I had the same idea and also tossed the idea around for quite a while then as a trial I started buying Pams soda water at 89c for a 1.25L bottle it works so well we haven't bothered with the Soda Stream. This Soda is just well filtered water carbonated it has nothing else in it. To that I usually add a few drops of lemon juice, lots of others in the house use it too, so we get through a carton a week nearly Grandchildren love half orange juice and half "Papa's bubbles".

uli, Oct 14, 12:31am
I love "papa's bubbles" - so sweet :)

Rather than buying orange juice - we have a big cook up day in winter on a rainy day when we make citrus syrup.

We thinly peel about 12 buckets of mixed citrus (oranges, tangelos, grapefruit, lemons, limes and whatever else lurks around), cook the peel and let it cool down.

Then we juice all the citrus, add the water from the rinds and boil it for a few hours to reduce. Then we weigh and add the same amount of sugar and let cool slightly. Then fill in glass bottles with plastic screw tops as the acid kills any other tops.

We usually end up with about 20 liters and are all set for summer - with or without bubbles. We use about 1 tablespoonful to a half liter glass of water - so the sugar content is most likely the same (or maybe less) than fresh orange juice.

The rind then gets boiled again with sugar and cooled and packed into small ziplock bags and frozen - enough "mixed peel" for the rest of the year :)

wendalls, Oct 14, 6:35am
Haha reminds me of my kids who would drink 'Grandads Juice' at his place. Some awful diet drink from a concentrate. And we called all fizzy drinks ' bubbly juice'. Was a treat drink.

wendalls, Oct 14, 6:42am
My kids did over my lemonade tree one year and made their own lemonade. Didn't get much for all the fruit they used though. Still the lemonades are largely untouched on the tree now and my limes have started falling off as it was hot while I was away a week and being in pots they were very sad looking when I returned. Meaning to make key lime pie when I get a chance. Unless anyone has a favourite Thai style dish they can recommend as my coriander is also abundant?

fantail8, Oct 15, 8:42am
". So butter beans might be nice but that is not part of that cleanse".

no but even adding something like crushed garlic adds variety to the flavour of steamed beans. As someone else said lemon juice is an awesome flavourer

fantail8, Oct 15, 8:44am
I had my kids drinking "tap juice" for a long time when younger and didn't want water

debudder, Oct 15, 11:06am
Well have survived the 3 day prep and am on my 2nd day of the herbs from the kit. So have gone 5 days with out meat, living on vegetables and fruits. I no 5 days isn't long in the big scheme but I have really surprised myself. I am lucky that my partner does the cooking so I am not tempted to pick. My grand daughter and him are teasing a bit with lovely foods like chops (my favourite) and mint sauce and so far I am ignoring them. I feel good though, so guess that helps, slight head ache but not as bad as I had thought it would be.

uli, Oct 15, 7:52pm
Make sure you get enough yoghurt though debudder. Good on you for doing it.

debudder, Oct 16, 8:25am
I haven't been eating yoghurt, so may have to put some in my smoothies

wendalls, Oct 17, 7:18am
Lol. Clever you!

schnauzer11, Oct 17, 1:00pm
I couldn't agree more! Trying to 'cleanse' your cleaning-organs is so silly.Makes about as much sense as trying to clean a bar of pure soap.The agonies people put themselves through in this pursuit is ridiculous. Yes, food, good, fresh, wholesome food is what your organs need to support your body's functions.Partial-starving does nothing but distress the body's natural and efficient mechanisms.

twindizzy, Oct 17, 11:30pm
^^ this. Your body is perfectly capable of 'de-toxing' itself

buzzy110, Oct 18, 12:13am
Not quite. Humans evolved on periods of starvation making it both natural and efficient. There are many, many people from the second world war who not only spent long periods eating very little but who are now only just reaching the end of their lives. Most are still reasonably mentally with it and physically able and reasonably healthy for their years. And let us not ignore the other cultures. The Island in Italy where everyone lives to extreme and healthy old age all spend at least 150 days of each year fasting. And the group of Japanese who live long, healthy, productive lives who eat just enough to stave of starvation.

One of the worst things we are doing to ourselves in this day of plentiful food is to keep eating 3 meals a day with snacks every day of our lives.

So OP if you want to have the odd period with low food intake then know that you are doing your body the absolute world of good, not the other way round.

sampa, Oct 18, 1:38am
Yes but - don't eat an entire pineapple by yourself in one sitting. the consequences of doing so are enlightening. Figuratively and literally.

debudder, Oct 20, 9:07am
Am on day 11 of fruit and veges, and I promise I am not starving myself. A work mate made a natural square and gave me a piece, was so good, to be honest I am not missing meat too much, only when the rest of the family are eating foods I like. They had a roast mutton last night and it did smell devine, but I had roast vegetables. Tonight I walked in and they were having fried potatoes cold meat and salad, I had salad and the remaining roast vegies. Had the day off so spend a good deal of it slicing and bagging fruit to put in the freezer for my breakfast smoothie.

mk1_jaguar, Aug 22, 9:55am
Your liver loves food, so be careful doing any type of fasting, better just to flush more.

Warm cabbage juice is wicked .