Please don't blow up, please don't blow up.

Page 1 / 2
about-time, Mar 23, 1:08am
Pressure cooking a chicken casserole and absolutely freaking myself out, lol. First time using one in my 27 year lifetime and I'm wondering why I started now. Should be alright, I've done it by the book. but man, scary alright!.

Any pressure cooker cooks here with advice and/or recipes?

sampa, Mar 23, 1:43am
Is this a modern pressure cooker or an old school one? One simple rule to bear in mind is not taking the lid of in a rush. lot of very hot pressurised steam lurking in there and steam burns are horrible. You should be fine though and, once you get your confidence, will find a lot of uses for it.

biggles45, Mar 23, 2:26am
I use mine a lot, and have done for many years. Mine is an old school one. I always let it depressure itself so I turn it off a few minutes before recipes say it will be cooked.Never had one blow up yet.

buzzy110, Mar 23, 2:36am
RFLMAO. Seriously, I stopped using mine because it invoked the same terror you are experiencing. I used them to cook the dogs tucker and when the dog died the pressure cooker was metaphorically buried with her. I was never happy and wished I had one of those neat plug in hot plates you can buy now to cook outside so that if it blew then nothing much would be destroyed.

In the meantime, what sampa said is good advice. I always ran mine under cold water with the vent open until all the steam had stopped, before trying to take the lid off. Don't do it unless it slips off easily or you will get seriously burned and possibly have an unpleasant clean up job to do as well.

about-time, Mar 23, 2:39am
Hi Sampa, it's a modern brand new cooker (Breville Fast Slow cooker), so I know I should trust the technology and safety somewhat. Just didn't help when I had bad old school cooker stories in my head when using it, haha. All of that steam gave me quite a fright when released, but other than that - piece of cake. Was a beauty of a meal too (barring all the liquid, haha - way to much stock).

You're totally right - confidence and practice is the key. Looking forward to my next go at using it.

about-time, Mar 23, 2:56am
Hope I'll be bossing this appliance like you one day. the modern one though, haha. I had my Aunty's ". I went to unlock the lid and it just flew up to the roof! “ old school cooker story in my head when using mine. One of many scary stories I've heard. must be the useless operators huh, lol.

Will keep your tip in mind though, thanks for that.

illusion_, Mar 23, 3:45am
Trust the technology and enjoy. Read the manual and (carefully first time) hold the steam release button down until all the pressure is released before trying to open it.
I have one of these and they are brilliant.

rainrain1, Mar 23, 4:27am
I'm too afraid to even try one

samanya, Mar 23, 4:31am
I got one of these (FluyBuys) because my mother's old one wouldn't go on my induction hob & I totally agree with illusion. release the steam & couldn't be easier. I was always a bit scared of the old version & only once had an explosion/splatter to the ceiling episode & it was my own fault for trying to rush things.
OP, you'll get to know & love it, I'm sure.

sampa, Mar 25, 9:10am
Yep, have the exact same model - fast slow cooker and I remember the fear and dancing around it (at a perceived safe distance) the first few times I used it. it was like, really, you can make that much (condensed high pressure) steam and that amount of noise and not expect me to piddle myself in anticipation of The Huge Explosion that's gonna happen any second now?

LOL, all good, they're a a great appliance that you'll get heaps of use out of.

tessie2, Mar 25, 9:12am
Put pressure cooker in sink and run cold water over the lid for a couple of minutes to quickly reduce pressure. Then gently start to release pressure valve. If steam still starts to come out run cold water a little longer. Been doing this in my old Prestige cooker for many years. Wonderful item to have when you want to make a casserole or curry in a hurry.

illusion_, Mar 25, 10:07am
uhhhhh

somehow I doubt they want to ruin their lovely new electrical appliance

nfh1, Mar 25, 10:37pm
Gosh, me too! Someone bought me one for a wedding present many (many) years ago - it lived in the cupboard for around 12 years!

sampa, Mar 25, 11:10pm
An elderly gent of our acquaintance used to make homebrew wine. One day he thought he'd have a go with his wifes pressure cooker while she was out. No guesses as to what happened next. one dripping red kitchen. Knowing his wife would have a fit he quickly and thoroughly cleaned and she never suspected a thing. Until a day several months later when she decided to check for dust behind the oven. talk about 'caught red handed'.

tessie2, Mar 26, 7:06am
Huh? So how would you clean it then - if not with water?

samanya, Mar 26, 7:29am
You're talking about the old style pressure cookers that used a hob. some of the new ones are electric & can't be immersed in water (see #6)

griffo4, Mar 26, 8:40pm
We used the old one years ago it was great for cooking dinner after coming in from the farm with young kids to feed, never had a problem and now have an electric one and that is great as well

It is a confidence thing once you get used to it you will be fine
My mum had one so l grew up with them

illusion_, Mar 26, 9:18pm
Simple. You take out the centre piece that contains the food (just like in a crockpot) and you wash it. You can also wash the lid. You can NOT wash the outside bit that locks it all down and contains all the electrics. Pretty basic stuff all that.

sampa, Mar 26, 11:01pm
A visual for anyone trying to figure out the newer electric style of pressure cookers -

http://cdn.outblush.com/women/images/2013/01/fast-slow-l.jpg

nfh1, Mar 26, 11:06pm
The thought of a giant hissing pressure cooker actually plugged into the mains sounds worse than one just hissing on the hob.

samanya, Mar 26, 11:09pm
Mine barely hisses at all, not like the old style ones.

nfh1, Mar 26, 11:12pm
Ah - I see - perhaps not as scary as I think.

samanya, Mar 26, 11:46pm
Probably not. I sometime press the 'release' valve a little, just to see if it's working. I haven't had it long, so still getting used to it.

sarahb5, Mar 27, 5:47am
Ours blew up the first time we used it (30 years ago) and splattered Christmas pudding all over the kitchen!

rainrain1, Mar 27, 7:02pm
The title of this thread makes me chuckle every time I read it :-)