Please don't blow up, please don't blow up.

Page 2 / 2
robman7, Mar 27, 8:23pm
Love mine , own three of them, First purchase 37 years ago and having acquired the 2 smaller ones in the last 2 years . Great for stews, soups curries, rice etc.

seat1, Apr 4, 4:07am
Ha Ha just had a good laugh after reading these my mother-in-law gave me her old one many years ago I used it a couple of times but was scared stiff off it.

schnauzer11, Apr 7, 10:43am
That's it, tessie! I realy don't know why people are so scared of them. I was brought-up with one doing our meals most nights, and could take charge of one at age 10! I still use an old-school one, in fact I have two. I find them so simple. Your technique is the one I grew up with, and, apart from turning the heat down when it starts whistling, I can't see any need for fear. They have (even the old ones) valves that will blow if pressure is too much, but I've never heard of this.I've never eaten corned beef, lamb-shanks, pork-strips or stew so beautiful as that from my pressure-cooker!

raloki, Apr 7, 7:22pm
I bought a Breveille Fast Slow cooker yesterday. Have wanted one for a while and took advantage of the Briscoe's Easter sale to get it at 40% off which was a good saving. Reading through the instruction book I can see it will be used a lot by me. Mum had an old school pressure cooker, but really only cooked vege in it, and for far too long, which put me off vege for years. This seems so much easier than her old school one though.

samanya, Apr 7, 11:54pm
raioki, I'm sure you'll get to like it a lot. I have to keep referring to the manual as I seem to have a mental block as to which way the damned pressure valve should face *d'uh*

sampa, Oct 27, 6:16pm
I think that's common samanya. I haven't used mine for a bit now (must dig it out now the cooler weather seems to be arriving) but I recall always having a head scratching moment and I think it was over the valve thingie too. One tip I'll pass on to folks new to cooking with this model is that when a recipe says maybe 20 minutes remember that that means 20 minutes from full steam so allow a bit of extra time in your head for the length of cooking from start to finish.

~ enjoy, really nice machine. :)