CAN ANYONE TELL ME.-.

Page 1 / 2
westward1, Jun 13, 9:20pm
what kale tastes like please?

rainrain1, Jun 13, 9:51pm
Like the old tough outside leaves of a curly cabbage, that has been sitting out in the garden all Winter, only 10 times more bitter . we hate it eeeeew!

Now waiting for the reaction from the kale lovers :)

kateley, Jun 13, 10:05pm
I agree with rainrain! it's nowhere near as nice as spinach or silverbeet

harrislucinda, Jun 13, 10:07pm
there is animal kale and then veg kale to different kinds veg kale is smaller leaf never tried but seen before cooked leaves are soft so don't understand rain rain saying tough

brian675, Jun 13, 10:14pm
Shit

joybells2, Jun 13, 10:27pm
Only good when leaves are young, used to grow it for pigs,

westward1, Jun 13, 10:52pm
Is it cooked, or used in salads?

pickles7, Jun 13, 11:42pm
smoke it

jan2242, Jun 14, 12:49am
I love it. Baby leaves are yum in a salad. Love it cooked as well. I describe it as across between cabbage and broccoli in flavour. I have never bought it - grow my own so no idea if that makes a difference.

ritebuy, Jun 14, 1:56am
wash it dry it and place it in the oven drizzled with olive oil these kale chips are wonderful

nauru, Jun 14, 2:34am
We like it steamed or added to stirfried veges. Also sometimes add it to my curries just before end of cooking and add it to my juices.

lythande1, Jun 14, 3:14am
+1

This is a popular winter cattle feed. Then the trendy food freaks got hold of the idea and claimed miracle cures and benefits for everything so all of us should now rush out and make like the cows.

westward1, Jun 14, 3:35am
I am a silly old MOO so why not :-) :-)

kay141, Jun 14, 3:50am
It has a very strong flavour when mature. It is not a superfood and for each of the marvellous nutrients it contains, it has been proven that silver beet and Chinese cabbage have more of each.

davidt4, Jun 14, 5:45am
The curly kale that we grow is tender and mild tasting.

eastie3, Jun 14, 5:47am
Yes, quite different to gnarly cattle fodder kale.

rainrain1, Jun 14, 5:55am
We don't grow it for the cattle here. I remember tasting it a long time ago, and once was enough, neither of us want to go there again. The other half grows curly cabbage sometimes, and I hate that as well.

fishplants, Jun 14, 8:03am
Silverbeet has lots of oxalic acid which kale has not.
Back to the research kay :)

Both have their place in everyday cooking but are not interchangeable.

skye7, Jun 14, 10:28am
Its great mixed with silverbeet and steamed with garlic.
Its great in smoothies
You can make very nice kale chips, using olive oil and salt.
My advice, give it a try and keep an open mind

rainrain1, Jun 14, 10:58am
Never!

sarahb5, Jun 14, 10:58am
I love it made into kale chips - I don't like silver beet (never seem to be able to get it clean) but I do like kale particularly the purple/green one and don't find it tough at all

rainrain1, Jun 14, 10:59am
You wash silver beet to get it clean

sarahb5, Jun 14, 11:00am
If you have it try it with Japanese chilli pepper sprinkled on it before roasting - delicious

sarahb5, Jun 14, 11:00am
No? Really? I would never have known - thank you so much .

rainrain1, Jun 14, 11:01am
Try it