CAN ANYONE TELL ME.-.

Page 2 / 2
rainrain1, Jun 14, 11:19am
How can anyone not get silver beet clean lol that is the post of the year

sarahb5, Jun 14, 11:38am
I wash and wash and wash but it still tastes gritty, muddy or sandy to me - I'll stick to kale

rainrain1, Jun 14, 11:42am
'Curiouser and curiouser! . 'You ought to be ashamed of yourself,' said Alice,

kay141, Jun 14, 7:51pm
That doesn't make my statement inaccurate.

Why are you calling me kay? Is your name fish? I know it's not.

sarahb5, Jun 14, 9:30pm
Another odd statement from fish face - I cook for taste/flavour not according to what nutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc are in my food don't you?

kay141, Jun 14, 9:58pm
I do but I understand the comment. It appears a poster, who shall remain nameless but has always tries to pick an argument when I post, is now posting under another name. I hope it makes them feel better about themselves.

Even more factual is that while we have been eating silver beet, in all it's guises for many years but until recently, when some guru decided to make more money by telling everyone what to eat, kale was mainly animal food. It is surprising the number who, because something has been published whether digital or hard copy, believe it as fact. It is well known that anyone can publish on the net and doesn't need qualifications or to check their facts.

davidt4, Jun 14, 10:13pm
I don't know why people get so agitated about poor old kale. It has been grown for human food for at least two thousand years and is particularly useful in cold climates because it is impervious to frost.

I do not understand how anyone makes money from encouraging people to eat kale (or any other green leafy vegetable for that matter) unless it is the commercial growers, who surely welcome the chance to grow such a trouble-free food plant.

kay141, Jun 14, 10:46pm
That is a particularly naive statement, when nearly every week, there is publicity about some new "superfood". Often it is from someone who says this food has cured whatever and we should all buy their book. Some of those books are touted on here as fact and a marvellous cure. There is seldom any science to back up these claims and, very often, it is food which has been part of the diet for many for most of their lives. It is also a fad, kale is last years. This year it is oat porridge. I have no doubt it will be something else soon.

I can usually tell what is or was fashionable by what is for sale at my local market. Kale has only been there for a couple of years but so has celariac and kohl-rabi. Fennel is a fairly recent addition as well.

hezwez, Jun 15, 12:10am
I make a huge winter soup with sauteed garlic and onion, and cook on low heat until the bunch of kale, stripped from the stems and chopped, has wilted. Add 8 cups water, some vegie stock cubes, 2 cans of drained cannellini beans, a tin of chopped tomatoes and 6 diced potatoes. Simmer covered for 20 mins. It's scrummy.
ETA I use any other seasoning I like, finely chopped chilli, moroccan. whatever.

sarahb5, Jun 15, 1:08am
I grew up in urban England - had no idea what animals ate but we often had kale because it was easy to grow, had never seen silver beet until I came here

kay141, Jun 15, 1:21am
It was the other way round here, certainly down south. Silver beet grew all year round in everybody's garden.

buzzybee1, Jun 15, 5:52am
I am a not so new (50+ years) immigrant from Holland (AKA The Netherlands) and have a cook book I still occasionally refer to with (fading) memories of foods I used to love/hate. One of them is kale, for the longest time you could not buy kale here in Auckland, because it is a cold climate veg, suddenly it seems to be all the rage, I don't know why. In my memory it was a mid-winter vegetable that needed a frost to go over it to get the proper 'taste'. From memory, In Dutch 'cuisine' kale was used mainly in a hearty midwinter potato mash, with a rich meat gravy and smoked sausage.
I can give a recipe if wanted . lol?

samanya, Jun 17, 4:32am
Do you know the type, davidt4?
I grow Cavolo Nero but it's certainly not tender or mild but it does make wonderful crisps . that's the only way I like it.
I'm wondering if yours is tender because in your climate it grows faster?

davidt4, Jun 17, 4:39am
I just know it as Curly Kale . There's a photo of it here. I strip the leaves away from the tough stems, then blanch the leaves for about five minutes. It is a wonderful vehicle for good butter.

It is much more tender than Cavolo Nero, which we've given up on because it was so tough.

rainrain1, Jun 17, 9:32pm
We have kale growing, and I didn't even know :-) Husband is going to bring home a nice tender looking one for me to try, I haven't eaten it for years, but I'm willing to give it a try to see what all the fuss is about, hope is not gritty, or muddy, or sandy after I have washed it sarahb5 ;)

rainrain1, Jun 17, 9:38pm
Yes please, I would like your recipe buzzybee1

rainrain1, Jun 18, 6:58pm
Must have gone on holiday :)

fishplants, Jun 19, 5:39am
Nothing to do with fashionable, but all to do that NZlanders now catching up with old European veges. Kale, fennel, kohlrabi and celeriac have been grown for hundreds of years in the Mediterranean, France and other European countries. Just never made it across the Channel to England :)

rainrain1, Jun 19, 5:56am
Kale and fennel and celeriac have been around forever,

samanya, Jun 19, 6:05am
Maybe they have uli, but they haven't always been available to grow in NZ.

kay141, Jun 19, 7:10am
I agree but there are posters who must comment on and disagree with my posts. As you do, I also suspect a banned poster using another account is on these boards. Some people can not resist having their say not can they turn down the chance to argue.

sarahb5, Jun 19, 8:28am
And I still can't find kohlrabi in New Plymouth - another vegetable my dad used to grow - loved it

fishplants, Jun 19, 8:55am
Try Kings seeds and grow it yourself.
Even without garden you can cram 3 or 4 into a 15 or 20 liter pot.
Lots of water and fast growth is essential.

hezwez, Jun 19, 9:39am
All those European vegetables must lead to the development of a VERY thick skin, uli, for you not to be shamed into silence instead of hiding behind your husband's apron.