How to clean my stovetop?

phil.lyn, Mar 24, 9:17am
I have a regular gas stove top - white enamel (?) base and the plate I use most always has a brown stain all around white from pots overflowing etc.I resisted using Jiff for ages, but in the end I needed to, but of course that leaves scratch marks that are now ingrained with brown.Help??

phil.lyn, Mar 24, 7:47pm
Can anybody help me please?

lilyfield, Mar 24, 8:04pm
pour a little straight janola on it.

phil.lyn, Mar 25, 9:17am
I have a regular gas stove top - white enamel (!) base and the plate I use most always has a brown stain all around white from pots overflowing etc.I resisted using Jiff for ages, but in the end I needed to, but of course that leaves scratch marks that are now ingrained with brown.Help!

phil.lyn, Mar 25, 7:47pm
Can anybody help me please!

phil.lyn, Mar 28, 7:09pm
Thanks for suggestion - am I the only one who has trouble with my oven top???What am I doing wrong??

lilyfield, Mar 28, 7:11pm
Use a bigger pot that does not overflow?

lx4000, Mar 28, 7:15pm
you will find it easier to remove while it still hot/warm!

camper18, Mar 28, 9:20pm
Buy pots with good vented lids and they wont boil over. I had this same problem but on a ceramic top and was fed up with cleaning every day .Dont have a problem now with new pots from Farmers.

beaker59, Mar 28, 9:30pm
Its unlikely to be enamel if Jif sratched it enough to leave brown marks I would have thought! Unless you used a steel wool or similar. Mine is a stainless steel surface and I just use a normal household cleaner although I have had to resort to jif around the biggest gas ring where it gets really hot sometimes on the surface if using my biggest pot (its massive 15L I think). Not able to help sorry if scratched you may have to live with it.

falcon-hell, Mar 29, 12:24am
agree with beaker,a previous post suggests pouring janola on i,i personally wouldnt,maybe bam or something similar.

fifie, Mar 29, 1:29am
Is it enamel, or more of a porcelain top? ingrained scratches maybe hard to move have you tried rubbing along the scratch with some baking soda made up to a paste and soft cloth nothing to harsh then wipe over with a hot clean soapy cloth, to get brown off. As someone else said invest in good heavy based pot with lid that has a steam vent hole in it.One element on mine gets a hammering always had to clean it while warm now its great with new big pot, no spills at all.

phil.lyn, Mar 29, 7:09pm
Thanks for suggestion - am I the only one who has trouble with my oven top!What am I doing wrong!

lilyfield, Mar 29, 7:11pm
Use a bigger pot that does not overflow!

fifie, Mar 30, 1:29am
Is it enamel, or more of a porcelain top! ingrained scratches maybe hard to move have you tried rubbing along the scratch with some baking soda made up to a paste and soft cloth nothing to harsh then wipe over with a hot clean soapy cloth, to get brown off. As someone else said invest in good heavy based pot with lid that has a steam vent hole in it.One element on mine gets a hammering always had to clean it while warm now its great with new big pot, no spills at all.