Early Ernest Adams shops ChCh

Page 2 / 2
bedazzledjewels, Mar 25, 3:58am
I remember the Ernest Adams shops well. Not in Chch though, I lived elsewhere.
As a child, when we went into 'town', we had an icecream sundae at Ernest Adams. I can remember their delicious lemon icecream and my Mum used to buy some of those slabs of cake sometimes. Their madeira cake used to have a really strong flavour, but I bet it wasn't real madeira!

elliehen, Mar 25, 4:10am
Was it the Ernest Adams shops that sold individual Queen Anne chocolates!

toadfish, Mar 25, 4:47am
http://www.goodmanfielder.com.au/index.php!q=node/50

I thought Ernest Adams were now run by Goodman Fielder.

pogram0, Mar 25, 5:32am
Oh, was it the Queen Anne shop that had those ice cream sundaes with divine caramel sauce!They had long narrow dishes with two or three scoops of ice cream and you could have your choice of a lot of different flavours of lovely thick sauces.

jessie981, Mar 25, 5:35am
Can't remember the caramel suace, but did have the raspberry & don't forget the pink wafer cut in half & stuck in the ice cream. Not sure but think tick whipped cream was 'extra'.

elliehen, Mar 25, 5:44am
Maybe, as a qualified baker and confectioner, you can post some of your favourite recipes, pge :)

jessie981, Mar 25, 6:24am
They baked yummy Raspberry Sponge RollsOthers I remember are Seed Cake, Marble Cake, 3 layer cake like Rainbow! chocolate, pink then plain & had a mock cream filing in between each layer, Unfilled Sponge, Madeira, Sultana & their Fruit Cake was a great fav for Wedding Cakes.
Any more! Shop in ChCh was on the Colombo St crn of the Square.

elliehen, Mar 25, 6:27am
Stop!Now!.before I remember the 'turtles'.

kay141, Mar 25, 6:31am
I remember the Queen Anne shop in Dunedin. Scrumptious marshmallow Easter Eggs and individual chocolates if I was very good. I don't remember ice-cream, which is surprising because I never went out with my Nana without getting an ice-cream. But I only liked proper cone ones and still do.

willman, Mar 25, 10:16pm
I well remember their shop in New Brighton,lovely ' butter gold '! Madera Cake.Also the beaut Easter Eggs.( marshmellow ).

bedazzledjewels, Mar 26, 2:04am
There's a book - "A Baker's Tale; a Life & Times of Ernest Adams" by Hugh Adams.

Might try to hunt it down.

elliehen, Mar 26, 2:24am
I guess anything like 'milkshake' with a 'shake' in it might be off the menu for a while in Christchurch ;)

pge, Mar 26, 2:30am
I left school (Riccarton High) in Dec1961, and my first fulltime job was at Caroline Cake Kitchen, in Armagh St.
January 1962, I started work at Ernest Adams, in Tuam St, Chch, and worked there till Jan1966, when I went to London, to the Borough Polytechnic (now South Bank Uni), to qualify as a Baker and Confectioner.

Ernest was still alive, and was often seen in the bakehouse.

If I remember correctly, Adams Bruce was a partnership in the North Island, but Ernest went to Chch and started-up on his own.

The staff was very large and varied, we had a great time.

E.A. were great employers, and the staff-facilities were lavish.
If you started at 6:00-6:30am, you got a subsidised breakfast.
Morning tea, lunch and a/noon tea were all heavilysubsidised, and I still have a picture of a Xmas lunch in the factory.
Hugh Adams was the general Manager, Laurie Beardsley was the Production Manager, Charlie Deibert was the foreman.

There were four girls either side of the "sponge bench", where the sheets of sponge was spread with respberry-jam, (artificial)creamed, dusted and cut, then put into the E.A. cartons.

My profile quote says it all:
"Memories beat the shit out of Wishes"

pt117, Jan 5, 11:14pm
Those Queen Anne shop caramel sundaes were heaven.Has anyone got a recipe that comes close to copying it??