Ploughmans Lunch?

july10, Mar 23, 7:00pm
Am having a Ploughmans Lunch tomorrow night for tea with some English folk - any ideas where do I start??

sossie1, Mar 23, 7:06pm
A Ploughmans Lunch for Tea??

A ploughmans lunch is a traditional lunchtime meal, not so much of a meal as a recharge to carry on working the afternoon

bread, cheese, pickles, cold meats essentially, but you can add a slice of pie or something

personally if I them for tea i would make sausage mash and mushy peas.

millna, Mar 23, 7:36pm
ploughman lunch for tea..... yum, i also love eggs benedict for tea

july10, Mar 23, 8:07pm
haha thanks sossie1 me too. Every Friday night we normally have a fish and chip night with them but we are all done with fish and chips at the moment! Last Fri we had mince pies, peas and mash. They suggested the Ploughmans Lunch and I like them to know I know what i'm talking about lol. Plus our children like to try something dfferent too.

charlieb2, Mar 23, 8:09pm
Great idea... What not have a change around...and yep, what sossie said is pretty much the ploughmans we served at the pub I worked in, in London!

davidt4, Mar 23, 8:22pm
"Ploughman's Lunch"actually only dates back to the 1960s, when it was invented by an ad agency to encourage sales of British cheese.

cookessentials, Mar 23, 8:22pm
Traditional ploughmans lunch consists of thick, crusty bread, a mature cheddar cheese, or you can use Chesire, or Stilton cheese.
Pickled onions, a good pickle ( Branston would be the best)
some big beefy type tomatoes.
Nothing wrong with ploughmans in the evening, so long as it's warm outside.

kuaka, Mar 23, 8:32pm
You could add a baked potato in it's jacket with it I guess to fill you up a bit more!

nfh1, Mar 24, 8:40am
LOL - I would be devastated if someone gave me sausage, mash and mushy peas for dinner - especially if they were those dreadful pre-cooked things!

Ploughmans Lunch is usually something you would have at a Pub in England with regional cheese, dependant upon where you are, pickles, crusty bread and salad together witha pint of beer - never had it at home!

purplegoanna, Mar 24, 8:45pm
yum one of my favs..we mix it up abit though....have both brown grainy bread and white loaf on offer (must be loaves that you slice at the table not presliced bread!), butter in a crock, plenty of sliced ham and corned beef, tomatos, sliced red onion, cheeses, boiled eggs, maybe a pork pie (or slices of bacon & egg pie), pickled onions, gerkins, and tomato relish and piccalilli. And lashings of cold beer and ginerbeer for the kids...

duckmoon, Mar 24, 9:43pm
and a hard boiled egg...

duckmoon, Mar 24, 9:43pm
yum, I am getting hungry just reading this

elliehen, Mar 24, 9:52pm
Mention of a Ploughman's Lunch always makes me think of Beatrix Potter's Pigling Bland, running away, with his little stick over his shoulder and the knotted red and white checkered cloth at the end of it containing his bread and cheese :)

july10, Mar 24, 11:21pm
Thank you purplegoanna sounds good and sounds easy to do!

sarahb5, Mar 24, 11:30pm
Add some apple as well - whenever we had them for pub lunches it was always crusty bread, decent cheese, pickled onions, relish/pickle and maybe some crisps (chippies to you NZers) and an apple to finish with

sarahb5, Mar 24, 11:31pm
And there are plenty of other traditional English dinners other than just fish & chips or ploughmans lunch - what about toad in the hole?Welsh rarebit (OK so that's Welsh)?Roast beef and yorkshire pudding?

lindylambchops1, Apr 6, 7:47am
Don't forget the beer to go with it!

cookessentials, Apr 6, 8:13am
No, cider for me.There is controvercy about it's origins, however, as far as I am aware it has been around for a long time and was often the fare eaten out in the fields by farm hands/worker who were ploughing the fields.

nauru, Apr 8, 6:06am
It may have been popularized in the 60's by the cheese board but I'm sure that it has been around a lot longer than that. Farm workers took bread, cheese & pickled onions wrapped in a neckerchief to the fields with them in the 1800's.

uli, Apr 8, 6:07am
Nothing wrong with eating it by a nice roaring fire either :)

cookessentials, Apr 8, 7:30am
Yes, you are quite correct

kuaka, Apr 8, 7:50am
so - how did the ploughman's lunch for tea turn out?