Can you make gems without gem irons?

2boysmum, Mar 12, 12:12am
What can you use other than gem irons?

cookessentials, Mar 12, 12:29am
Yes you can, however, the result is not quite the same. A cafe' we visit in Eastbourne uses the mini loaf pans which come in a tray of eight.

kinna54, Mar 12, 12:37am
yes I believe you could. Maybe in a muffin pan?As in using gem irons whatever cooking utensilyou use would need to be able to heated at high temp, before you put in the batter.I still have my nana's cast iron ones, which I won't part with.

elliehen, Mar 12, 1:30am
You can pick up gem irons at charity shops - here on the Mainland there seem to be quite a few old ones around that were made in a Christchurch foundry.

gr8stuf4me, Mar 12, 2:05am
Hi There, I made them in muffin pans once to see if you could, and in my opinion - so not the same.Have since treated myself to an old second hand cast iron one in great conditon off trade me.I couldnt find one in a second hand shop here - the people I asked - laughed and said I had to be joking - they are as scarce as hens teeth.I love mine - well worth hanging out on here looking for a good cast iron one in my opinion.Hope this helps.

kay141, Mar 12, 2:29am
I have seen new cast iron ones. I think it was in Stevens. As I have 2 sets, I never took any notice of the price.

gr8stuf4me, Mar 12, 8:12am
Yes they dont come cheap new which is why second hand in great condition was my chosen option.

macandrosie, Mar 12, 8:31am
Wondering where you live? I've seen them in E Hayes & Sons in Invercargill. Not cheap though, & try & get cast iron ones & not some sheap alumnium ones. Scour the second hand shops they turn up ocasionally!

cookessentials, Mar 12, 9:00am
You will not be able to heat muffin pans enough to get the "sizzle" that is required for good gems. New gem irons ( depending on quality) can be anything from around $60-$80...some rusty old second hand ones can be about the same, so shop around.

elliehen, Mar 12, 9:25am
There are some listed currently on Trade Me, but the prices are steep - except for the rusty ones.

2boysmum, Mar 13, 12:12am
What can you use other than gem irons!

cookessentials, Mar 13, 12:29am
Yes you can, however, the result is not quite the same. A cafe' we visit in Eastbourne uses the mini loaf pans which come in a tray of eight.

kinna54, Mar 13, 12:37am
yes I believe you could. Maybe in a muffin pan!As in using gem irons whatever cooking utensilyou use would need to be able to heated at high temp, before you put in the batter.I still have my nana's cast iron ones, which I won't part with.

macandrosie, Mar 13, 8:31am
Wondering where you live! I've seen them in E Hayes & Sons in Invercargill. Not cheap though, & try & get cast iron ones & not some sheap alumnium ones. Scour the second hand shops they turn up ocasionally!

cookessentials, Mar 13, 9:00am
You will not be able to heat muffin pans enough to get the "sizzle" that is required for good gems. New gem irons ( depending on quality) can be anything from around $60-$80.some rusty old second hand ones can be about the same, so shop around.