Weeveles

kiwipossum, Mar 11, 12:33am
just got my flour out to make the yummy sounding coca cola fudge cake someone posted the recipe to and there weeveles in my flour grr luckily i had just brought a new pack id not added to my tub! where should i now keep my flour was it the fridge or the freezer its going to mean ill not be able to keep as much as i used to due to needing the space in my fridge and freezer for food

vintagekitty, Mar 11, 12:44am
I read on here about keeping it in the freezer. It does not get hot enough usually here, so have not tried it. Mind you, years ago when they had the flour bins, they would have just sifted them out and used the flour!

kiwipossum, Mar 11, 12:49am
really haha i thought about it but then threw it out,im on the gold coast now so i guess i should have thought about it sooner!! kind of annoyed about the wasting of money but lesson learned into the freezer it goes!! in a container im guessing?

vintagekitty, Mar 11, 12:54am
lol, I havent checked mine closely, but I wonder if i'd just use it as well, and I think I prob would. Really whats some tiny cooked weevils going to do in the great scheme of things

elliehen, Mar 11, 12:59am
They say that many diners get extra protein from the critters in their food.I know that I routinely fed my children steamed green caterpillars tucked up underneath broccoli florets ;)

vintagekitty, Mar 11, 1:01am
haha, I was just thinking about the "special" thing small children eat. I remember the dirt pies and worms, bugs and dust covered toys that went into small mouths

ant_sonja, Mar 11, 1:09am
they take on the flavour of whatever they've been living off - our son didn't realize he was eating quite a few green caterpillars as well when chomping down on a handful's of curly parsley from the garden! I'd been picking them off the plants and feeding them to the chooks for some time until I gave up as we had plenty of parsley to go around but noticed the squished caterpillars smelling very strongly of parsley - Probably a healthy addition to the diet :-)

vintagekitty, Mar 11, 1:14am
mmm, I firmly believe, if in doubt, feed it to the family. If they are ok, its fine for me...........

kinna54, Mar 11, 5:02am
Ick aren't they revolting litle critters! sometimes it's not the way you are storing your flour but how it is has been stored in bulk. I know people who have stored it in the airing cupboard! Justgood ol tupperware storage does me. And as for eating your peck of dirt..... well from someone who regularly rescued kids from eating slaters........Lol.

wasala, Mar 11, 5:51am
Wendyl suggests freezing everything but i did it with some macaroni, and two weeks later the weevils were still active. Now I'm really stumped!

seaturtle, Mar 11, 9:07pm
Have you tried placing fresh bay leaves in your flour bin?
I replace them every few months when I wash out the flour bin. I freeze rice in 5kg bags for up to a month+
this seems to keep the little blighters out of the pantry stocks
but keep a close look out for the tell tail signs of thise little grey moths hanging around inside the pantry especially in the warmer months

kiwipossum, Mar 12, 12:49am
really haha i thought about it but then threw it out,im on the gold coast now so i guess i should have thought about it sooner! kind of annoyed about the wasting of money but lesson learned into the freezer it goes! in a container im guessing!

vintagekitty, Mar 12, 12:54am
lol, I havent checked mine closely, but I wonder if i'd just use it as well, and I think I prob would. Really whats some tiny cooked weevils going to do in the great scheme of things

ant_sonja, Mar 12, 1:09am
they take on the flavour of whatever they've been living off - our son didn't realize he was eating quite a few green caterpillars as well when chomping down on a handful's of curly parsley from the garden! I'd been picking them off the plants and feeding them to the chooks for some time until I gave up as we had plenty of parsley to go around but noticed the squished caterpillars smelling very strongly of parsley - Probably a healthy addition to the diet :-)

vintagekitty, Mar 12, 1:14am
mmm, I firmly believe, if in doubt, feed it to the family. If they are ok, its fine for me.

kinna54, Mar 12, 5:02am
Ick aren't they revolting litle critters! sometimes it's not the way you are storing your flour but how it is has been stored in bulk. I know people who have stored it in the airing cupboard! Justgood ol tupperware storage does me. And as for eating your peck of dirt. well from someone who regularly rescued kids from eating slaters.Lol.

wasala, Mar 12, 5:51am
Wendyl suggests freezing everything but i did it with some macaroni, and two weeks later the weevils were still active. Now I'm really stumped!

seaturtle, Mar 12, 9:07pm
Have you tried placing fresh bay leaves in your flour bin!
I replace them every few months when I wash out the flour bin. I freeze rice in 5kg bags for up to a month+
this seems to keep the little blighters out of the pantry stocks
but keep a close look out for the tell tail signs of thise little grey moths hanging around inside the pantry especially in the warmer months