I NEED HELP FROM YOU CLEVER PEOPLE ...

sinclairsouth, Mar 8, 7:06am
Can anyone help me with a recipe for a pickle which contains cucumber, capsicum, whole kernel corn and onion?Fabulous pickle but I have lost the recipe and cannot remember what else is in it.Thanks in anticipation - this message board has saved me on numerous occasions so I am hoping that I am lucky this time.

korbo, Mar 8, 7:11am
Do you have the red alison holst book. i am sure it is in there

sinclairsouth, Mar 8, 7:30am
Unfortunately the answer is "no I don't"

cgvl, Mar 8, 7:52am
sounds similar to one my mum makes. its a digby law one, unfortunately I dont have the recipe. But I do know that Digby Laws cookbooks are available at our local library. Think it might be a corn relish.

lizab, Mar 8, 8:38am
Are you sure it was cucumber and not cabbage??? This is the only Digby Law one I can find that nearly fits your request.

Corn and Cabbage Relish

Pleasantly hot and deliciously corny.

9 cups whole kernel corn (either fresh, frozen or canned)
2 cups finely chopped cabbage
1 ½ cups finely chopped onion
2 cups finely chopped green pepper
½ cup finely chopped red pepper
1 tsp crushed, dried red chillies
2 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp turmeric
2 ½ tbsp salt
1 cup sugar
2 cups cider vinegar

Bring the vegetables, spices, salt, sugar and vinegar to the boil in a large saucepan. Cook, uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the relish is thickened.
Ladle into hot, clean jars and seal at once. Let stand for six weeks before using.
Makes about 3 litres.

lizab, Mar 8, 8:42am
or this one and it was celery instead of cucumber lol ...

Corn Relish

Bright and colourful and the perfect accompaniment to cold meats, grills and barbecues.

5 cups whole kernel corn
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped red pepper
1 cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup sugar
3 ¼ cups cider vinegar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp celery seed
2 tsp dry mustard
½ tsp turmeric
¼ cup flour
½ cup water

Place corn, peppers, celery, onion, sugar, vinegar, salt and celery seed in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
Mix the mustard, turmeric, flour and water together. Stir into the saucepan, bring back to the boil and simmer for a further 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
Pour into hot, clean jars and seal.
Makes about 2 litres.

cottagerose, Mar 8, 8:45am
8 cups diced cucumber
1/4 cup salt
4 onions diced
2-3 red capsicums, diced
1-2 green or gold capsicums
1 cup drained corn kernals
3 cups sugar
1 tsp celery seed 1 tsp mustard seed
2 cups wine vinegar
2-3 tbsp cornflour

This is out of Alison holsts red cook book

lizab, Mar 8, 8:53am
well done cottagerose - sounds like the one sinclairsouth's after to me!!

sinclairsouth, Mar 8, 10:01am
I will reiterate what lizab said - "Well done cottagerose" and thank you so very much for going to all that trouble.It has just been proven to me that fantastic and helpful people can always be found on this message board so thank you all,your help is really appreciated.

elliehen, Mar 8, 10:05am
cottagerose, could you please post the method too?I'm guessing the salt is for overnight drawing of water from the cucumber and onions.

sinclairsouth, Mar 9, 7:06am
Can anyone help me with a recipe for a pickle which contains cucumber, capsicum, whole kernel corn and onion!Fabulous pickle but I have lost the recipe and cannot remember what else is in it.Thanks in anticipation - this message board has saved me on numerous occasions so I am hoping that I am lucky this time.

sinclairsouth, Mar 9, 7:30am
Unfortunately the answer is "no I don't"

lizab, Mar 9, 8:38am
Are you sure it was cucumber and not cabbage! This is the only Digby Law one I can find that nearly fits your request.

Corn and Cabbage Relish

Pleasantly hot and deliciously corny.

9 cups whole kernel corn (either fresh, frozen or canned)
2 cups finely chopped cabbage
1 ½ cups finely chopped onion
2 cups finely chopped green pepper
½ cup finely chopped red pepper
1 tsp crushed, dried red chillies
2 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp turmeric
2 ½ tbsp salt
1 cup sugar
2 cups cider vinegar

Bring the vegetables, spices, salt, sugar and vinegar to the boil in a large saucepan. Cook, uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the relish is thickened.
Ladle into hot, clean jars and seal at once. Let stand for six weeks before using.
Makes about 3 litres.

lizab, Mar 9, 8:42am
or this one and it was celery instead of cucumber lol .

Corn Relish

Bright and colourful and the perfect accompaniment to cold meats, grills and barbecues.

5 cups whole kernel corn
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped red pepper
1 cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup sugar
3 ¼ cups cider vinegar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp celery seed
2 tsp dry mustard
½ tsp turmeric
¼ cup flour
½ cup water

Place corn, peppers, celery, onion, sugar, vinegar, salt and celery seed in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
Mix the mustard, turmeric, flour and water together. Stir into the saucepan, bring back to the boil and simmer for a further 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
Pour into hot, clean jars and seal.
Makes about 2 litres.

lizab, Mar 9, 8:53am
well done cottagerose - sounds like the one sinclairsouth's after to me!

elliehen, Mar 9, 10:05am
cottagerose, could you please post the method too!I'm guessing the salt is for overnight drawing of water from the cucumber and onions.