Has anyone made Falafels

free-h-oldies, Mar 8, 6:21am
I was given a recipe but when I tried to make them today they fell to bits What am I doing wrong.....has anyone got another recipe I could try also I used canned chickpeas and not fresh ones

rosathemad, Mar 8, 6:26am
I find it works best if you dry the tinned chickpeas first - we had trouble getting ours to stick together the first time round too. I blitz them for a few minutes in the microwave to evaporate most of the moisture then rub gently in a clean teatowel quickly. My recipe is here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/11/felafel-and-homemade-souvlakikebabs.html

Edited to say you could try adding a little extra flour to the mixture you have, as that may also help, and is easier than starting from scratch. :-)

Good luck!

free-h-oldies, Mar 8, 6:50am
Thankyou for that I will try them again this week and will let you know how I get on

danjoboys, Mar 8, 7:04am
Deleted above message as the link I put in no longer works. Recipe as follows:

2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp chopped parsley
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chilli powder (optional)
1/4 tsp salt

Combine all above ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Using wetted hands roll tbsps of mixture into balls, flatten slightly to form patties and shallow fry in hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper.

Serve in pita with salad and following dressing:
Combine 1 cup natural yoghurt, 1-2 tbsps sweet chilli sauce and 1 tbsp finely chopped mint or coriander.

Made these for dinner last night and they stayed together well and were yummy!

free-h-oldies, Mar 9, 12:24am
danjoboys thankyou for that I am going try both recipes, they sound easypeasy to do Not like my first attempt

free-h-oldies, Mar 9, 6:21am
I was given a recipe but when I tried to make them today they fell to bits What am I doing wrong.has anyone got another recipe I could try also I used canned chickpeas and not fresh ones

free-h-oldies, Mar 11, 6:17am
thankyou for all your help I made them lastnight and they were great yum

jcprotea, Mar 11, 8:21am
if you make your own hummus and add to the falafel, it tastes even better. Put them with some greens and tomato in a burger bun for falafel burgers.

free-h-oldies, Mar 13, 1:47am
thanks jcprotea I am new to this kind of food and I find I just love it

jcprotea, Mar 13, 3:01am
I will type you the recipe I use once I have finished making pear crumble.