Lanels on bottles

Page 1 / 2
seniorbones, Mar 6, 10:24pm
how is the easiest way to remove them, I usually cover with a wet cloth and they just peel off but its seems to be getting harder to remove them, I have made sauce and barkers bottles are lovely so want to reuse.

elliehen, Mar 7, 12:08am
Sounds odd, but peanut butter will remove some sticky glue/goo :)

smileeah, Mar 7, 12:38am
Eucalyptus oil will remove it.

seniorbones, Mar 7, 2:21am
sorry it was meant to be 'labels'...thanks - dont have any Eucalyptus oil but just thought hubby has solvent so might try that or meths!

susieq9, Mar 7, 2:23am
Recommend Eucalyptus oil which you can get from the supermarket or the chemist.

kinna54, Mar 7, 3:14am
My husband came up with a good way of removing sticky labels. He blew hot air on them with my hair dryer and they just peeled away. Silly but it worked! Otherwise try a bit of meths on a rag.

smileeah, Mar 7, 3:45am
Yes meths works too, that's what my grandparents always used to use to get sticky residue off the books they sold.

pickles7, Mar 7, 5:02am
I have had this problem with wine bottles. Some labels need petrol.
Dove triple moisturising, body wash, took some labels off using a pot mitt. I have it beside my sink, and in desperation squirted some on, gave it a scrub and all the glue disappeared.

pickles7, Mar 7, 5:08am
well worth a try,..elliehen... I have had to clean 32 wine bottles, two darned labels on each. Usually 1 label will come off easily but the other can be very stubborn.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 7, 9:36pm
Soak in really hot water until the labels either lift off or can be scrubbed off. Any glue or label remnants are easily removed if you scrub them with a goldilocks and a bit of that pink kitchen cleaner paste in the small tub (forgot the name sorry) For really stubborn ones if you smear butter or margarine on them and leave overnight, it will come off easily the next day - same principle as the peanut butter I guess!

elliehen, Mar 7, 11:18pm
Pink paste in tub - 'Chemico'.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 8, 12:23am
Yup that's the one :)

buzzy110, Mar 8, 12:23am
Chemico is not effective. I am still laughing at pickles suggestion of Dove body wash but I bet it works. I'm going to try that next time. In the meantime I get off everything that comes off easily then spray on De-solv-it, clean over with handy paper towel, then wash in soapy water.As another poster suggested, eucalyptus works.

But try the dishwasher first.

kinna54, Mar 8, 1:39am
Ouch; do not put them in the dishwasher if you have a lot to clean. Can really stuff up the dishwasher drain.
Taht heat treatment really worked on those tough really sticky labels, they peeled off in one hit.

seniorbones, Mar 8, 2:21am
sorry it was meant to be 'labels'.thanks - dont have any Eucalyptus oil but just thought hubby has solvent so might try that or meths!

smileeah, Mar 8, 3:45am
Yes meths works too, that's what my grandparents always used to use to get sticky residue off the books they sold.

gazza1234, Mar 8, 4:12am
Once you have the most part of the stickers off, Isopropanol (IPA) will remove the left over adhesive. You can get small amounts from any pharmacy, but tell them what you want it for as it has other uses that are illegal. I use IPA every day to clean the sticky residue of labels off my label printers and it works a treat.

pickles7, Mar 8, 4:25am
Sounds silly ah, but in desperation I reached for the nearest concoction lol.
Some labels I near give up on. Then when I relabel I use a paste, the labels float off when you put the bottles in water. Not the best if you get them wet though. eucalyptus is reported to be a great stain remover.

pickles7, Mar 8, 5:08am
well worth a try,.elliehen. I have had to clean 32 wine bottles, two darned labels on each. Usually 1 label will come off easily but the other can be very stubborn.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 8, 7:35am
Sorry but actually I DO find chemico effective and I am quite prolific with my preserving so have had an awful lot of practice. The dishwasher is hopeless at getting the labels off. Very good for sterilizing them.

bernice1, Mar 8, 8:38am
Fill the jar or bottle with boiling water, leave for ten seconds, pour the water off into the next jar to save wasting water, then peel off the label. Easy.

buzzy110, Mar 8, 12:10pm
That's OK. My experience has been very different to yours. I have given up on using chemico as it takes forever and leaves a lot of sticky residue behind. I find that the dishwasher just helps to loosen those parts of the labels that are very stubborn after I have done a pre-remove, then I wet and spray with de-solv-it and they are then easily cleaned and come up like new.

But I am sure pickles has cracked it.

persioux, Mar 8, 9:38pm
Nothing beats Tea Tree Oil.It is very good. All that stickiness wipes off easily.

elliehen, Mar 8, 11:18pm
Pink paste in tub - 'Chemico'.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 9, 12:23am
Yup that's the one :)