Feeding extra people

michelle313, Feb 24, 3:00am
Hi,can you toss out some ideas for family meals that will feed 12 people fairly cheap?Tonight we have family arriving that have left Christchurch and I desperately need some ideas that will feed an army for a few weeks.Thanks!

vintagekitty, Feb 24, 3:03am
what about a large roasting pan size B & E pie, cottage pie, spag bol, corn on the cob, baked potatoes, salad sort of meal

cookessentials, Feb 24, 3:13am
yes, I was about to say the same thing, a large cottage pie/shepherds pie things like rice pudding you can do in large amounts.

ant_sonja, Feb 24, 3:19am
How about big pot of vegetable soup? Seasonal veggies are cheap and plentiful right now - serve with buns - egg fried rice or noodles served with stir fried veggies and beef/chicken or pork strips - Cottage pie or fish pie using tinned tuna or salmon or a combination of any fish/seafood you want. Home made pizza - make a simple yeast dough and roll out to fit large oven tray - toppings can be whatever you have available and you can bake 2 or 3 trays at a time if you rotate them around during cooking - some ideas for now anyhow - good luck and how fab of you to help out where needed :-)

gerry64, Feb 24, 3:21am
there are some really good ideas on a budget thread - I will bump it for you

cookessentials, Feb 24, 3:43am
There are a couple of great threads worth bumping. The Pasta one and the potato one will give you some different ideas.

norton, Feb 24, 8:19am
Lasange, pasta dishes, casseroles. hamburgers, BBQs

kinna54, Feb 25, 1:35am
good ole bangers and mash, curried sausages,lasagna, chicken chow mein, (an inexpensive chicken goes a long way with cabbage and noodles) macaroni cheese and pasta bakes, fish pie. good on you for assisting and helping with food, accommodationand support, all the best to your family.

pickles7, Feb 25, 1:46am
I have not looked at everything in this site, but it looks interesting.

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/

michelle313, Feb 25, 10:19am
Thank you for the ideas!It's very helpful.I was just starting to feel a bit overwhelmed at the thought of cooking for that many every night.We'll make it work!:-)

juliewn, Feb 25, 11:14am
Hi Michelle.. good for you for sharing your home with family who are from Christchurch.. just awful what's happening there, and they'll treasure whatever you make for you all.. enjoy your time together..