Chickpea... do you need to peel?

Page 1 / 2
tomodew, Feb 21, 7:29am
ok sounds like a dum question but soaking chickpeas to make felafel for first time... do i need to peel them or can i wizz them unpeeled?

lilyfield, Feb 21, 7:51am
they don't even have peel.

tomodew, Feb 21, 7:53am
yeah... they have like a skin on them...

prawn_whiskas, Feb 21, 7:54am
Pop one in your mouth and try it... you must be a chick pea virgin.

No you don't 'peal' them.

tomodew, Feb 21, 7:57am
yes i am... usually just buy the felafel mix but thought id give it a go from scratch... thanks... where did i say "peal"?

prawn_whiskas, Feb 21, 7:58am
Wait.. you pick on my spelling and you're here asking if you peel a chickpea!?

tomodew, Feb 21, 8:00am
i wasnt picking... since you put it in ' ' i thought id mispelt it!! god sorry i did say it sounded like a dum question i was asking.... wont ask on here again sorry

prawn_whiskas, Feb 21, 8:02am
aw now don't be precious... I did answer, I did use ' ..' because I just.. do.

I hope your chickpea patties come out nice.

nfh1, Feb 21, 8:04am
No don't apologise - there are no dumb questions - only questions you do not know the answers to.Someone on here posted that for me, I ask lots of odd questions!Honestly people are really helpful on here - don't be put off.

Actually - you are right they do have a skin on.

lilyfield, Feb 21, 8:04am
if you have a couple of hours to spare- I suppose you could "peel" them,LOL

prawn_whiskas, Feb 21, 8:06am
Lines up my green baby peas to do next please!

Look oooooooooooooooooooooooo <~ there they are! Hop to it.

babytears, Feb 21, 8:15am
Once making hummus, the recipe said to soak, cook then rub the skins off - SO... in a way YES you could peel them if you wanted to

elliehen, Feb 21, 8:16am
'to come the raw prawn'
Definition:
verb, Australian
'to try to take advantage of or deceive someone. This colourful expression probably originated in the 1940s and is still heard. The precise connection between the uncooked crustacean and deceitfulness is not clear, but the suggestion is of cadging by feigning innocence or naïvety.'

juliewn, Feb 21, 10:22am
Hi Tomodew - a warm welcome to Trademe Recipes.. :-)

Ignore the comments - and ask anything you like here - most of us are happy to help.

Some of the outer parts of the chickpeas come off during cooking - it's fine to include those.. and whizz the lot.

Would you like to share your recipe.. have tried a few falafel recipes and haven't found one I really like.. thanks..

malcovy, Feb 21, 7:48pm
For Hummus I would take the skins off, a tedious job but the resulting smoothness is worth it.For Falafel I would leave the skins on but really its personal preference.A case of trial and error.
No question is dumb if you do not know the answer.We all have to learn sometime, no matter the age.
Edited too add that raw soaked chickpeas would be a curse to peel anyway.

purplegoanna, Feb 21, 9:49pm
some do have skins on them...it was an innocent question...take your negativity elsewhere moron....

jcprotea, Feb 21, 9:57pm
I leave the skin on for hummus maybe because I am lazy hehe. I have a simple hummus recipe that is in the circle of fiends recipe thread.

cookessentials, Feb 21, 10:29pm
chickpeas do indeed have skins and when cooking them, you will often see them floating to the top of the pan. An easy way to remove them is to take the pan off the heat and add a few cups of cold water to the pan. The skins will loosen and float to the top of the pan. You just continue stirring, using a slotted spoon and remove them as they float to the surface. For any odd ones still attached, just rub them gently between your fingers to remove excess skin. You dont necessarily need to remove the skins, especially if you are using a food processor. it is entirely up to you. If you cannot be bothered cooking the chickpeas, you can still make the felafels using canned chickpeas.

greerg, Feb 22, 4:52am
Really jcprotea circle of FIENDS.I thought the point was not to be fiendish there.

elliehen, Feb 22, 6:32am
Love it!jcprotea and greerg - both fiendishly protective of that friendlythread where anyone can ask a question and not be rubbished.

Typos can be such fun!

Edited to add:Had to go back and correct one myself ;)

jcprotea, Feb 22, 8:41am
yeah ok so I made a typo...sorry there are more pressing matters with Chch at the moment.

elliehen, Feb 22, 10:18am
greerg is in Christchurch too, jcprotea, and I'm absolutely sure the comment was lighthearted.Sometimes in tense situations, a little flippancy helps deal with that tension.

jcprotea, Feb 22, 8:37pm
Sorry I didn't mean to be insensitive. I think best I leave the boards for a while anyway, I have uni to deal with as well.

elliehen, Feb 23, 3:21am
The boards seem trivial alongside the news from Christchurch, but they do provide one more way for some people to keep in touch and get news of friends.

All the best with your Uni study,jcprotea :)

mike1364, Feb 23, 7:08am
HEY,
Tomodew good on you for asking,I was taught if you don,t ask you don,t learn.So to all these other negative people up you.