What do I do with semolina?

cushla28, Feb 18, 11:11pm
Hi.My baby really like the watties peach apricot and semolina in a can so I bought some semolina today (it says 'fine' on the pack) to try and make some myself.The problem is it doesn't say how to prepare it on the packaging.I just want to make something plain that I can add fruit to.Any ideas?Maybe just with milk and semolina?Thanks

onekiwigirl, Feb 18, 11:31pm
We love semolina, but we prefer the coarse semolina which is only available from Indian shops now. The coarse semolina just gives a better texture to the finished product.

Anyway, heat some milk in a pan, we actually heat half water and half milk in a pan, add a pinch salt and some sugar to sweeten (depends on personal taste) , maybe a tablespoon or so, depends on the volume you are making also, then when it is nearly boiling slowing add some semolina and always keep whisking. Do not add too much semolina at first because when it starts to thicken it thickens real quick.If you have over added semolina you can always add a bit more milk. When you have it at the correct consistency pour into dishes. Its a bit like making custard!

Note that you must stir/whisk constantly once you start adding semolina or it will burn on the bottom.

You can eat hot or cold.We love to eat it hot, especially in the winter as a dessert, by sprinkling Cinnamon sugar over the top. Crated apple and Cinnamon sugar over the top is also a favorite. Runny jam can also be poured over the top of the semolina in the bowl to flavour it.

It is also nice cold the next day, its just trial and error to see what you might like.

245sam, Feb 19, 12:12am
cushla28, here are some hot and cold semolina dessert options.....

SEMOLINA CUSTARD - recipe from a Semolina packet
600ml milk
4 tbsp semolina
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup sultanas, optional
Sorry I didn't keep the instructions but this is what I do.....
In a saucepan mix the semolina and sugar together, then gradually mix in the milk. Cook, with constant stirring, until the mixture thickens and boils. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla essence, and sultanas if using them. Serve hot or cold.

CEREAL PUDDING.
1-2 tbsp sugar (raw, white or brown)
pinch salt
1/4 cup rice, sago, semolina or tapioca
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Mix all together in an ovenproof dish and allow to soak in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Bake at 160ºC for 2-2&1/2 hours.
NOTE: Semolina will cook in about 1/2 hour.

SEMOLINA JELLY - recipe from a Semolina packet
2 dssp each of sugar and semolina
2½ cups boiling water
1 x 85g packet jelly crystals of choice

Cook the sugar, semolina and water together for 5 minutes. Add the hot semolina mixture to the jelly crystals and stir until dissolved. When cool beat until light and fluffy.

SEMOLINA SNOW - my Mum's recipe
600ml (1 pint) water
2 heaped tbsp sugar
4 heaped tbsp semolina
½ tsp lemon essence or juice of ½ lemon

Cook the water, sugar and semolina together until thick. Remove from the heat and add the essence or juice. Cool, then beat until thick and white. Chill in the refrigerator until set then serve with fruit, icecream, cream, yoghurt.

Hint:I remember that when our DD, now 30, was a baby I used to make porridge, etc. and for her with anything that was too gritty/had too much texture I used to make sure that it was thin enough to put through a sieve, so if at first you find that your little one doesn't like the texture of the home-cooked semolina, maybe sieving it would be an option for you too.

Hope the above helps.:-))

geldof, Feb 19, 12:26am
if you get sick of the puddings, you can use the rest in baking. lemon semolina syrup cake etc.
I have also found it makes a passable substitute for ground almonds in some recipes if you add some almond essence.

cushla28, Feb 19, 5:54am
Great.Thanks everyone :)

elliehen, Feb 19, 5:59am
That's a good hint, geldof.What sort of recipes have you used it in?

dilligaf_dah, 2 days, 11 hours
I buy my coarse semolina in the BinIn shops
and use it in baking as well but my favourite is as custard like making it thick in the summer then putting into pyrex dish and refridgerate and cut into slices and eat cold like a cake.