Home-made crumpets

amelda, Feb 17, 6:39am
Anyone ever made these? Any good recpies and tips out there!?Keen to give them a whirl

olwen, Feb 17, 6:57am
There's a recipe in a Cordon Bleu cookbook that came out as a part-works in the 1970'sBaking 1 if anyone has it.Mine is packed up at present

sqiff, Feb 17, 8:31am
I have made this recipe out of my 100 Bread Machine Recipes book and although they are called Pikelets they come out and taste like crumpets.

1/2 cup tepid water
1/2 cup tepid milk
1egg, beaten
1 tcaster sugar
1/2 t salt
1 1/4 cups white bread flour
1 t yeast

Place all ingredients in the baking pan in order in which they are listed above. Set the programme to "Dough". When cycle has been completed, remove the baking pan. Heat a heavy-based frying pan over moderatelyhigh heat. When the pan is hot , pour a tablespoon of the runny mixture into the pan so that it forms a small pancake. Cook until the top is set, then turn it over using a palette knife and cook it for a further 1 or 2 minutes, until golden spots start to appear.Repeat the process until all the mixture has been used up. Butter the pikelets and serve them warm. Alternatively, you could leave them to cool and reheat them under the grill.
I have a large frying pan and managed to do three at once. They were yummy.

bigcous, Feb 17, 8:52am
I found this somewhere, not sure where now, prob tm.Have not made tham yet.

CRUMPETS
4 cups plain flour
tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
3 cups lukewarm water
15g compressed yeast (1 tsp dry yeast - sift in with dry ingredients)
Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into large bowl. Dissolve yeast in warm water add to dry ingredients, beat till smooth.
Crumpets can be cooked in a lightly greased frying pan or electric frying pan. If using electric fry pan, heat to 260F Lightly grease muffin rings,put them in the pan to heat through. When hot, 3/4 fill with rings with batter. Allow to cook over a low heat for approx 10 mins or until surface is covered with holes. Remove rings. Cover pan and cook a further 2 - 3 mins. or until surface has set. Remove from pan ,cool on a wire rack. When cold, toast and serve hot with butter.

nauru, Feb 17, 8:52am
Crumpets are known as Pikelets in certain areas of England.I always knew them as Pikelets when I was growing up in NE England.

sqiff, Feb 17, 8:25pm
Thanks nauru, that explains why they are called Pikelets and the picture shows them as what we call crumpets. The book was published in England.

cookessentials, Apr 28, 1:43am
Have been making these for some 20 years. makes 24. I use proper crumpet rings.

4cups plain flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp sugar
3 cups lukewarm water
15g compressed yeast.

Sift flour and baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Dissolve yeast in water, add to dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Crumpets can be cooked in a lightly greased frying pan or electric frypan ( preheated to 130C) Lightly grease egg rings or crumpet moulds and pop them in the pan to heat through. When hot, 3/4 fill the rings with batter. Allow to cook over a low heat for approx 10 minutes or until surface is covered with holes, remove rings and cover pan and cook a further 2 -3 mins or until surface ha sset. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. When cold, toast and serve with butter. ( these are just like the bought ones butsofter and MUCH nicer. You can substitute thr fresh yeast with dry if you dont have it. 1 tsp dried is the substitute. You can also freeze these.