Why do date loaves always rise high in the middle?

korbo, Feb 15, 12:55am
just made a delicious date loaf, found the recipe in an old one of my grandma's, and it rose really high in the middle. didnt sink.
so yummy

lilyfield, Feb 15, 1:23am
so do mine- always. Must be the soda

elliehen, Feb 15, 4:05am
korbo, could you please post it?I love dates but still haven't found the ulitmate date loaf...I would trust a 'grandma' one :)

petal1955, Feb 15, 7:36am
Date & Walnut loaf

Ingredients
240g (1 1/2 cups) pitted dried dates, halved
310mls (1 1/4 cups) water
100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) dark brown sugar
80g butter, cubed
Melted butter, for greasing
300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1 x 100g pkt walnut pieces
Method
Place the dates, water, brown sugar and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and pour into a heat-resistant bowl. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 170°C. Brush a 9.5cm x 19.5cm (base measurement) loaf pan with the melted butter to grease.
Sift the flour and mixed spice into a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs to the date mixture and stir to combine. Pour the date mixture into the flour mixture and use a wooden spoon to combine. Add the walnuts and stir to combine.
Spoon the mixture into the greased pan and bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.

elliehen, Feb 15, 10:03am
Thanks, petal1955, will give that a go when I need the next date fix :)

245sam, Feb 15, 10:30am
korbo, IMO my date loaves don't rise "really high" in the middle and that is because I learnt many years ago, from experience and not by being taught by anyone, to slightly hollow out the centre of the loaf mixture (not make a deep 'trench') i.e. from one end of the loaf to the other just very slightly move the mixture evenly to each side and it always seems to work for me - I do this also with the banana loaf recipe that I use.

Hope that helps.:-))

dbab, Apr 20, 11:49pm
Oooh petal,
I've just made your date loaf again. The house smells delicious. It's a super recipe.

knowsley, Apr 21, 12:06am
Mmmm, sticky date pudding - roll on winter!

dbab, Apr 21, 3:57am
pickles,
petal's loaf does have eggs in it. It has no baking powder but is still really tasty. Grandkids eating it as I type