Courettes

feebee10, Feb 14, 3:29am
i have some many i cant keep up with them, how do you use yours i make quiche, but need other ideas

beaker59, Feb 14, 3:34am
did you mean corgettes by chance, if so my fav is to just slice thinly and fry in butter with a little crushed garlic.

sjordan, Feb 14, 3:34am
I love them sliced and sprinkled with pepper and then pan fried in a little butter. YUM

tarshlove, Feb 14, 3:36am
x1
Throw them all out they are awful things lol the one and only veg I can't eat

dorothy_vdh, Feb 14, 3:36am
grate them and add to mince dishes,use them in vegetable stack,cook them with some bacon,tomatoes and mushrooms,fritters

feebee10, Feb 14, 3:36am
LOL yes oppps!!

feebee10, Feb 14, 3:37am
LOL ohhhh nooooo, i really like them just need new ideas!!

lx4000, Feb 14, 4:38am
chop courgettes, onion and add a tin of tomatoes, tomatoe paste, salt pepper, mushrooms and water. Simmer for 45 mins. mmMmm You can add frozen corn, mushrooms and peas at the end. Add anything you like, Great with mashed spud or pasta with grated cheese over the top when you serve up!

lookingfor, Feb 14, 8:50am
You can also chop and freeze them for future use

geldof, Feb 14, 9:15am
slice length ways thinly and grill or bbq, sprinkle with vinegarette.
jp seagers chocolate courgette cake.
courgette jam off<<<<< sounds weird, but is nice. makes nice tart filling.
roast with other veges for salad.
i grate,squeeze excess moisture out and freeze for cakes and quiches.
into savoury muffins.
ratatouille

beaker59, Feb 14, 9:58am
Grate 2 or 3 med sized corgettes add an egg salt pepper a couple of tablespoons of flour and 1.4tsp of baking powder stir well then fry as small patties great for lunch.

lilyfield, Feb 14, 10:15am
I make soup and freeze from all the overgrown ones.just boil with shin,add garlic, stock or not, heaps of oreganum or fresh basil, liquidize. Or add any other vegie to the concoction. Nice low calorie filler.

gardie, Feb 14, 5:14pm
Slice lengthways and use a layer (or 2) in lasagne.

tigerlilly16, Feb 14, 9:16pm
I'm sorry, but when I read the title I immediately thought of a courgette with Tourette's syndrome lol - barking and swearing at the other courgettes :D

BTW It took me a long time to be able to eat a courgette after leaving home as dad grew them and when they were in season we had to have courgettes with EVERY meal, Even now I don't like them if they have a strong 'courgetty' taste like home grown ones do.

smileeah, Feb 14, 9:36pm
This is my favourite way to use them at the moment too.
I have been using fresh (skinned) tomatoes as they are plentiful right now. I use red onion and garlic and add capsicum also (not green though cause I can't stand green capsicum) and the secret is to add 1/2 - 1 tsp of sugar.
I usually serve it as a side dish and it is also nice warmed on toast with grated cheese the next day.

prawn_whiskas, Feb 14, 9:42pm
Stuff them with a spicy mince and cheese mix, bake until golden and zucchini are soft.

Thats tea tonight!

tich50, Feb 16, 6:27am
Justmadethefollowing:1 diced onion; gratedcourgette;cornoftwocobssteamedinmicrowave;2eggs;saltandpepper;selfraisingflour (abouthalfacup);tspbakingpowder.mixalltogetherandimadequiteafewpatties.
iwouldnormallyusespringonionbutdidn'thaveany.

cookessentials, Feb 16, 6:31am
Courgette Chocolate Cake

125g butter
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 c yogurt
1/2 c cocoa
2 t baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 t salt
1 t vanilla essence
3 cups (350g) grated zucchini/or courgette
1/2-1 c chocolate pieces (optional)

Line 25 cm square tin.
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time with a spoonful of flour mixture. Add vanilla and yogurt and stir well. Sift in dry ingredients and stir in zucchini.
Pour into tin, and sprinkle with chocolate pieces if desired.
Bake at 170C for 45 minutes

cookessentials, Feb 16, 6:39am
Zucchini Slice

5 eggs
150g (1 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
375g zucchini, grated
1 large onion, finely chopped
200g rindless bacon, chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line a 30 x 20cm lamington pan.
Beat the eggs in a large bowl until combined. Add the flour and beat until smooth, then add zucchini, onion, bacon, cheese and oil and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through.

seniorbones, Feb 16, 8:56am
This has been a favourite this summer I make one on a sunday and hubby takes a slice for lunch most days, I also make them in the texas muffin tins for visitors and serve with salad and relish...I actually found the old australian womens weekly cookbook for the 80's or 90's and the recipe was in there - but was given this years ago and have passed on to lots of people, worth a try. Sadly my beans and zuchinnis are coming to an end.

cookessentials, Feb 16, 5:57pm
I have not made it at all this summer! I usually do. It is such a simple and easy one to do. I usually just serve it with salad. Our beans and zucchinis are also slowing down now. Our scallopinis are still producing well.

daleaway, Feb 16, 11:46pm
God bless Martha Stewart - this recipe from her website is delicious:

Zucchini Fritters

1 pound (about 2 medium) zucchini
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest (1 lemon) plus
1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges (optional)
10 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, stems removed and leaves finely chopped, plus more sprigs for garnish (optional)
1 medium clove garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
Directions
1.Using the large holes of a box grater, grate zucchini into a medium bowl. Add the salt, lemon zest, chopped parsley, garlic, pepper, and eggs. Mix well to combine. Slowly add flour, stirring so no lumps form.
2.Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until the oil sizzles when you drop a small amount of zucchini mixture into the pan. Carefully drop about 2 tablespoons zucchini mixture into pan; repeat, spacing fritters a few inches apart.
3.Cook fritters until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium. Turn fritters, and continue cooking until golden, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer fritters to a plate; set aside in a warm place. Cook remaining zucchini mixture, adding more oil to pan if necessary. Garnish with parsley sprigs and lemon wedges, if desired; serve.

happygabi, Apr 8, 3:54am
can the choc cake be cooked as muffins instead?