Thermomix - is it as good as it sounds?

eba1, Feb 9, 11:26pm
wondering about buying a theromix - anyone got one?? are they good??

prawn_whiskas, Feb 9, 11:36pm
I had to google

HolyMOLY at the price!

buzzy110, Feb 10, 12:02am
Thought about buying one last year but then I thought -

I don't need a breadmaker because I can make better bread by hand.
How often do I require crushed ice - never
I already have 2 sets of the most fantastic pots ever
I have 2 food processors - 1 small and 1 large for different sized jobs
I have a stick blender or two hanging around
I have a fully optioned kenwood
I have a fully optioned slow juicer
I have a separate high speed juicer, and one on my Kenwood, so that makes two
I have a hand held mixer and a manual egg beater
My very clever mandolin does all the fiddly chopping jobs to produce whatever sized cut and shape finish I want
And a whole lot of other things.

Did I really need another gadget? The answer was, no.

But if I were just starting out, I'd buy one like a shot.

245sam, Feb 10, 12:03am
Sorry eba1, I can't help you but I, like prawn_whiskas, had to google too and then goggle at the price!:-))

245sam, Feb 10, 12:08am
I could possibly agree with that buzzy110 - like you I'm already well equipped BUT the one big reservation I have re any appliance that is a too all-in-one type of appliance is that if it malfunctions / has a breakdown doing just one of its many functions what would I have to use then, either until it was repaired or until a replacement could be found - back to basics?:-))

cookessentials, Feb 10, 1:03am
Have not seen it in action. I have, however seen the demo and tasted the heated products from the Vitamix machine which is put out through Peter McInnes. I saw the machine at the August gift fair in Melbourne and was impressed. I dont think it is available in NZ yet, but it is commercial quality and very good.
http://www.petermcinnes.com.au/productinfo.php?id=65212&TL1=Vitamix

buzzy110, Feb 10, 1:45am
Yes. They are available in NZ.

uli, Feb 10, 3:51am
Yes they are good.

BUT - you have to change your way of cooking. So it will take some time to adjust all your recipes.

AND - it is only worth it IF you are actually cooking. If you buy frozen pizzas, simmer sauces and flavour sachets - then you won't need it at all.

If you cook from scratch, pick most veges from the garden, grind your own flour and make bread from it and make sauces etc yourself then it is a worthwhile investion.

lx4000, Feb 10, 7:59pm
oks, whats the price? looked on the site but saod all but the price!!

Its friday, "mondayitise"!!

prawn_whiskas, Feb 10, 8:16pm
Just over 2k

*promptly faints*

cookessentials, Feb 10, 8:50pm
simmer sauces still have to be heated!

lilyfield, Feb 11, 12:38am
WOW-wow-WOW
WISH i WERE YOUNG AND HAD A REASON TO BUY IT.
what a wonderful machine

cloudberry, Feb 11, 12:53am
Yes - the Thermomix is as good as it sounds, and then some! And it's worth the dosh because it really does just about everything. I have a friend who has one and I lust after it alarmingly. But as I have been cooking for 40 years and have all the tools I need I simply can't justify getting one. But as Buzzy says, for someone just starting out --- and as Uli says, someone who is serious about cooking --- I would say, go for it. No-one ever regretted buying quality.

buzzy110, Feb 11, 1:57am
In a $2000 gadget?!!!

marcs, Feb 11, 4:48pm
I don't see the point in buying something so expensive especially when you have collected all the bits and pieces over the years.

cookessentials, Feb 11, 7:50pm
what does the price of it have to do with it? if you have one and you happen to have a simmer sauce that needs heating, why wouldnt you use it? Seems daft to pay all that for it and then oly use it for your home grown "made from scratch" sauces...why not use it for everything...whether it is a packeted simmer sauce or a made from scratch is irrelevant.

cookessentials, Feb 11, 7:54pm

liamjosh, Feb 11, 10:09pm
Have a friend with one and she absolutely loves, makes all sorts with it and they taste fantastic which is great for her cause normally she can't cook very well at all.However, if I bought one it would be a waste of money as it would probably sit on the bench and collect dust.If you do a lot of cooking/baking and enjoy gadgets then I think it would be well used.

lindylambchops1, Feb 12, 1:01am
Wow the Thermomix looks awesome!I have been looking at demos on YouTube.

uli, Apr 20, 11:14pm
Depends on your lifestyle. If you have a small kitchen then this is the only thing that is ever sitting on the bench - and does everything. No more mixers, mincers, liquidizers, food processors etc etc. One machine does it all.