Help Moths!

calista, Feb 8, 8:54pm
I am getting a new bed.and while clearing out the bedroom I found that moths have attacked the carpet under the existing bed and have infested some clothes I had stored,I've thrown the clothes in the rubbish and vaccuumed the carpet but I think I probably need a commercial pest killer to come on and treat the house. Has anyone in Chrisychurch used one they can recconnend?

I'm asking the shop to hold on to the new Mattress as it has wool in it and ai don't want a holey mattress/

calista, Feb 8, 8:56pm
Damn, can't edit the title . which should have a comma.I don't want to help the little blighters!

valentino, Feb 8, 10:37pm
calista, just had a wee giggle, (just a wee bit of not quite what you thinking of) but recently, a fellow cat breeder attract moths for their cats to feast upon, yep, cats loves moths and is recomended as part of their diet.

greerg, Feb 8, 11:17pm
There is one of those Kiwicare products (yellow plastic container at Mitre 10) that is supposed to do moths as well as other crawling insect but a pest control firm might be a more permanent solution.It's odd that you should mention this today as the Press had a small article about mothballs being bad for babies and I thought that you never hear about moths damaging wollen things now but when I was young blankets and things were always stored carefully to prevent moths.I thought something must have changed to make them less of a problem but maybe not!

monkey_room, Feb 8, 11:34pm
When I was a child my Mum and her Mum always stored soaps in the drawers and wardrobe. They were opened and it was to deter moths and keep the clothes smelling fresh. We rarely had moths in our house and I still do it to this day. A cake of cheap soap lasts about 18 months then it loses its potency.

elliehen, Feb 9, 12:27am
Puts lots of lavender among your clothes - that will be where they're breeding too.Hang sachets of dried lavender on your hangers and replenish them with drops of lavender essential oil.Moths hate lavender and it's not a nasty chemical.

beaker59, Feb 9, 3:52am
Just be thankful its not bedbugs apparently they are spreading through NZ quite quickly right now.

calista, Feb 10, 5:53am
Hey thanks everyone.I think these were imported into my house with a lovely sheepskin rug my brother gave me before he moved overseas.He had lived in a rather grotty flat.

Elliehen I wonder about that lavendar carpet powder that you vaccuum up as a follow up to the Kiwicare product greerg mentioned (which I am going to investigate tomorrow).Actually if that stuff works on spiders too I will be a very happy camper.

Beaker, bedbugs sound really foul,I though I had picked up one on my suitcase when I last flew domestically, but it was just one of the cat's fellow travellers, quickly discouraged bya visit to the vet for the necessary stuff.

greerg, Feb 10, 6:23am
Calista I'm pretty sure the spider one is separate which is a nuisance.I'm getting the spider one tomorrow - 3 huge whitetails have appeared in the last 3 days.One of them was in son's bed and dead because he'd been lying on it.

calista, Apr 7, 7:07pm
Damn, maybe Georgie Porgy fat'n'fluffy and I need to go out for the day while our house is made pest free.I don't want to risk her near any poisons - she's a delicate little flower.