Selfcrusting quiche-is it like a frittata or.....

kiwigoldie, Feb 5, 10:15pm
does it end up having a seperate type base like a quiche with pastry.....my husband doesnt like frittatas and i am thinking of trying this selfcrusting quiche....any thoughts....

davidt4, Feb 5, 10:24pm
A frittata is not the same as a self-crusting quiche.A frittata has no flour in it and is a fairly thin and delicate, with parmesan mixed with the eggs before pouring over the filling.

A self-crusting quiche has flour in it and the end result is a thick, rather stodgy egg cake.

uli, Feb 5, 10:35pm
Or if you are lucky and add enough milk to thin it a bit then the flour will settle at the bottom and make some sort of "base" while the top is like an egg custard with veges...

I have given up on the flour some years ago and make a quiche like a frittata, but much thicker - my fry pan can hold about 6cm.

I start with frying onions and bacon, add pre-cooked and very well squeezed silverbeet or spinach (or leeks in winter) and any other other veges I want to include.

Then top with 12 beaten eggs which have lots of chopped herbs, salt and pepper or chilli incorporated.

While this cooks away on the stove top I top it with sliced tomatoes and then sprinkle with grated cheese. Then switch it off.

After I am done with that I put the pan into the pre-heated oven to finish cooking and melting the cheese on top.

Nobody has ever noticed that there is no flour in it any more LOL :) all the cheese and bacon makes well up for omitting it.

Serve with a mixed green salad or tomato salad or cucumber salad - or all 3 of them - and everybody will be happy!

P.S.: If you don't havenice fry pan that can also go into the oven then fry onions and bacon and transfer to a pyrex dish or other oven dish and then carry on from there! It might take longer to bake though, as you didn't have that initial baking from the bottom. I would think maybe 40 to 60 minutes in that case at about 170 degrees C.

jessie981, Feb 5, 10:36pm
This Quiche isn't stodgy - Self Crusting

3 eggs
100gr melted butter or margarine
1/4c flour
1c milk
100gr diced meat
3 chopped spring onions
1c tasty grated cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 160. Grease a large pie dish. Place eggs, butter or margarine, flour & milk in a bowl & beat well.
Stir in other ingredeints & pour into pie dish.
Bake 1 hour until set & golden brown

uli, Feb 5, 10:38pm
Well they are very stodgy if I may say so - I have tried umpteen recipes when I first came to NZ and I hated them all LOL - but I guess if you grow up with it it may be different.
Most likely you wouldn't like sauerkraut topped with blood sausage, bacon, fatty smoked pork, and liver sausage accompanied with sourdough bread either ... :)

elliehen, Feb 5, 10:48pm
OP, I think you'll find that the posters who say 'stodgy' are anti-flour and grains, so you're getting a somewhat biased view there.

The frittata is certainly lighter than the self-crusting quiche.

Both have their place - but you'll have difficulty regularly making a 12-egg frittata to feed a family unless you have a chook farm ;)

patsy3, Feb 5, 10:48pm
Made it once, never again. Nice pastry, blind baked, and use a metal dish, not ceramic so pastry goes crisp.

uli, Feb 5, 10:59pm
Not sure what you mean to say here ellie - 12 eggs are between 3 and 5 dollars. That is surely cheap to feed a family of four. Try using meat or fish for 5 dollars and see how much that amounts to.

http://www.woolworths.co.nz/Shop/SearchProducts?search=eggs

elliehen, Feb 5, 11:16pm
kiwigoldie, if you put 'self-crusting quiche' into the search bar at top left and click the arrow in Date Posted to Anytime, you will find lots of threads with many recipes, ideas and opinions.

nanasee1, Feb 5, 11:18pm
Another tip is to put a very light sprinkling of uncooked couscous in the base of the tin you are cooking the crustless quiche in. It helps to give a crunchy base.

jessie981, Feb 5, 11:41pm
Nope!

ry5, Feb 5, 11:54pm
Another tip is to preheat your quiche dish before pouring in the mixture, it helps the crust separate from the filling I'm told.

buzzy110, Feb 6, 2:27am
Oh this is an excellent description of "self-crusting' quiche. And it is true, you add flour to the mix and it is called self-crusting but it just makes it a gluggy frittata.

monkey_room, Feb 6, 2:50am
The trick with a self crusting quiche is not to overmix when adding the flour. It may have little patches of flour visible..still. If you overmix it becomes gluggy.

elliehen, Feb 6, 3:58am
As monkey_room says...over-mixed.

uli, Feb 6, 6:34am
Or as I say
All cr@p LOL :)

lyl_guy, Feb 6, 9:09am
Have never tried it, but I have to say, the thought of flour mixed in with eggs and baked like that is not very appealing!

elliehen, Feb 6, 9:25am
Is that your email address?

Naughty...it's against TM's terms and condition to give out contact details ;)

janny3, Mar 30, 7:51am
Thanks for this idea.I can't spend time making pastry & blind baking fuss.We have to take shared lunches on our Saturday course, so I'll try that next time too.

Cool.