Gerry64 - a thread for you ;)

unknowndisorder, Feb 2, 9:11am
Hi there, just reading where you're enquiring what makes a crappy supermarket.
To me, they're all much of a muchness, but smaller ones do seem yuckier (any brand). 4 Squares always seem pokey and thereby last resort.

Anyway, the one supermarket I've found that I enjoy going into, is New World Hastings. My husband did not understand my fascination with the place (it's just a supermarket), but sort of does now he's been there.

They have the deli with bottles of oils & stuff (who knows, it looks pretty, but you can't actually see what they contain) behind the cabinet, it's a spacious area. The cabinet food looks appetising, the bakery and deli have stuff you can just take home (home-made looking pies, pizza, salad, sandwiches, rolls). The deli also has a range of individual chocolates (possibly from the local chocolate factory). It is a spacious store and well set out.

Most items have an electronic tag to say what price they are (on the shelf, not individually), it also has the self-checkouts (first ones I'd seen).

The rolls are expensive (wouldn't bother again, but they look really good, but I didn't find them worth the extra coin).

Funny, I don't bother going to other supermarkets when we're down there, but do need to find somewhere else to buy lunches.

korbo, Feb 2, 9:14am
#1, doyou mean in Hastings, or Napier.??
there are a lot of cafes, that have yummy rolls, I guess you mean a bread rolled with salad meat etc.

unknowndisorder, Feb 2, 9:17am
I think Hastings, but do mix the two towns up (we drive through and I just assume Hastings - by the Top 10 holiday park with the aviaries).

We see a lot of the country, but not much of the towns/cities we go to. I worked out that after heading to Raglan umpteen times, we should actually go look at Raglan (Wellington was the same, we just avoided it).

nzhel, Mar 17, 5:54pm
There are two great New Worlds in Hamilton too that seem to have just about everything and more! They seem expensive tho but a pleasure to go into.