New Towels - treatment before use

calista, Feb 2, 8:22am
Hi everyone.I have bought a friend sone new towels for his birthday (yeah I know it might sound like a boring present ,but he needs them and isn't particularly flush at the moment).I know my mother used to soak them overhight in something so they fluffed up nicely - but I can't remember what it was - maybe salt or vinegar?

Does anyone do this?

Thanks for your help.

abbied, Feb 2, 8:24am
1/2 cup of salt and cold water in a bucket. I then usually wash them with cuddly etc. They make them soft and smell lovely.

lyl_guy, Feb 2, 8:26am
I soak them in the machine for at least an hour or two in cold, salted water (half to one cup salt), then wash... with white vinegar in the 'fabric softener' cup in the machine.It seems to remove the 'dressing' and also make them colour fast.
(and makes you hungry for salt&vinegar chips, lol!)

uli, Feb 2, 8:29am
I simply give them a 60 degree wash in my washing machine and then hang onto the line to dry. The wind will fluff them nicely.

herself, Feb 2, 8:59am
Place towels in cold water with a handful of Epsom Salts and leave for a couple of hours. Then wash as normal and they should be lovely and fluffy and absorbent.

korbo, Feb 2, 9:27am
when I worked in a big dept store in the manchester dept, we were told by one of the towel manufacturers, not to use cuddly etc, as it makes the towels (yes nice and soft) but strips the absorbency on them. My hubby can always tell if our towels have been washed and Ive put cuddly in with other items.
I could be wrong, but that is what we were told.

lindylambchops1, Feb 3, 4:05am
I agree with the Epsom salts method!I recently bought new towels & soaked them in machine.I never need to use fabric softner for them.

uli, Feb 3, 5:36am
I never use fabric softener - I hang the washing on the line and the wind does all the work :)

calista, Feb 3, 5:57am
Oh good - a use for the epsom salts I had over from something - thanks everyone.

And definitely line-dried for me as I don't have any other way and the smell is lovely.

prawn_whiskas, Mar 19, 6:15am
+1

I also put a tablespoon into each towel wash