Sauerkraut

Page 10 / 11
buzzy110, Sep 12, 3:20am
That's OK uli. I never use that particular bath anyway so it is good that it is being used for my fermentation experiments. Makes cleaning up easier as well.

vmax2, Sep 13, 3:49am
Bump for those wanting to improve their health with sauerkraut.

cat_sandcastle, Sep 13, 4:45am
Hi Uli, if you want an on-going source of raw milk I can pads along my suppliers details. she is based in Drury

cat_sandcastle, Sep 14, 2:36am
Huh! pads = pass LOL

buzzy110, Sep 14, 5:53am
Well I weakened. I just couldn't face months without some handy sauerkraut. Funny how something I have only just learned to make has become an absolute neccessity. Anyway, I pulled out my crock and half filled it with organic cabbage and carrots. I realised that it was easier to use the crock than to fiddle around with a whole lot of jars. If there is still some left (which I doubt) at the end of summer I'll put it in the fridge in jars and make a full crock to get me through winter and spring. I'm happy now.

uli, Sep 19, 9:51pm
I tought you would buzzy :) I have to make some more stuff today too - I am getting low. Have you made the orange/carrot mix yet! That sounded so good.

buzzy110, Sep 20, 7:13am
No uli. I haven't made the orange/carrot mix. I seemed to have missed that recipe. Where do I find it! Or was it some idea I was toying with! There are so many ideas going around in my head that I just can't seem to remember and now I have a Compact juicer, dehydrator and a book on sprouts and they all have fantastic recipes using sprouts and stuff. I am busy sprouting all sorts of grains and seeds as well as planting my veg and tiny flower garden.

uli, Sep 26, 7:36am
It was in Nourishing Traditions I think they also do a "jam" with fermented oranges - now that didn't sound too appealing to me .

buzzy110, Sep 26, 11:07pm
I looked in the NT book but didn't see it there. I will have to look harder. There is just so much in that book and getting my head around where it all is is a mission in itself as I am reading two other books at the same time and doing none justice.

uli, Sep 30, 5:28am
I cannot find it either . hmmm maybe it was on the net!

uli, Oct 1, 5:28am
for those that need pictures here is a nice link to making sauerkraut: http://www.satyacenter.com/health-health_articles-fermented-vegetables!page=2

spot20, Oct 7, 8:00pm
Health benefits of fermented foods please! A lot os so called experts say cabbage is hard on the gut but I guess fermenting changes the composition!

spot20, Oct 8, 2:19am
Thanks guys - sounds like the ticket! Will defintiely give it a go as I was only yesterday in hospital with a camera down my throat! Talk about digestion!

buzzy110, Oct 8, 3:03am
Ooooh. Poor you. What is your problem with digestion! I can offer some good advice but perhaps it would be better if you started another thread.

spot20, Oct 8, 6:56am
Yeah I know but it sure feels like it!

buzzy110, Oct 8, 9:59am
I have just looked up gastritis. As someone who suffers from rude good health I never know what any illness is even though I hear about people with all sorts of illnesses all the time. Anyway, gastritis looks absolutely horrible and the picture I saw makes me glad I haven't got gastritis. What course of action are you planning on taking to relieve or cure your illness spot!

spot20, Oct 8, 8:10pm
I truly envy you Buzzy! At the moment I am taking Slippery Elm powder two or three times a day along with aloe vera juice playing around with some dietry changes .

buzzy110, Oct 10, 2:09am
It is fantastic isn't it rachee. Glad to see another convert.

uli, Oct 24, 4:36am
bump for mllawn

elliehen, Oct 31, 4:02am
Bumped for uli who thought it was lost.

buzzy110, Dec 24, 10:11pm
Well it is that time of the year again. I have grown the most successful garden ever this year and I now have excess cauliflower, broccoli and broccoflower. So I am going to lacto ferment the cauliflower. I don't know if broccoli can be done this way yet but I will find out after Christmas.

uli, Dec 25, 4:19am
buzzy the cauli should be very good, broccoli is a bit hit and miss -because it really depends on the ripeness and consistency of the broccoli.

While cauli is about the same consistency in stem and flower bud - broccoli can be very soft in the flowers and much harder in the stem. So I would recommend to try and harvest the broccoli pretty early on so the flowers are more solid rather than later, otherwise you will get very soft mushy tops and wonderful crunchy stems.

Personally I eat the broccoli as it becomes available, rather than trying to preserve it - often instead of rice or pasta, just as a base to put my (pasta)meat sauce over or instead of rice to eat with my curry.

Once you have finetumed the recipe would you mind putting it into the "wild fermentation" thread so we have it available to use!

buzzy110, Dec 26, 9:32pm
Thanks for the advice uli. I was thinking along those lines with regards broccoli. I probably can eat it and I certainly have people who have been appreciating gifts of broccoli up to now so I'll just stick to the cauliflower.

uli, Jan 16, 3:42am
bump for melly16

245sam, Aug 11, 8:36pm
racheee, have a look at http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic.php!f=23&t=526 - in particular look for recipes/info' from donald6, uli, and katalin2.:-))