What is the reason for soaking

macs01, Jan 30, 9:59pm
cucumbers in salt before cooking

alewis, Jan 30, 10:06pm
I do not know!! I know that putting salt onto eggplant before cooking draws out the bitterness or so I have been told, sorry

olwen, Jan 30, 10:18pm
Removing some of the liquid from the cucumber

davidt4, Jan 30, 10:45pm
Salting draws liquid out by osmosis.It is important to do this before you make pickled cucumbesr - if you don't then the pickle will not keep well.

campmum, Jan 31, 1:57am
it also stops them from going mushy

uli, Jan 31, 4:55am
Why would you cook cucumbers?

buzzy110, Jan 31, 5:35am
My first thought too but I see someone mentioned pickled cucumbers. Probably some sort of relish or something. Presume it has plenty of sugar and vinegar as well. Yummo if you like that sort of stuff.

creeky1, Jan 31, 5:38am
removes the excess moisture. I do that when making bread and butter pickles with zucchini. You rinse the salt off then drain really well.

hestia, Jan 31, 7:21am
Stir fried beef and cucumbers.

maryteatowel1, Jan 31, 7:41am
...baked cucumbers and cream...pickles, relishes and other condiments...persian food also use cooked cucumbers, as well as a lot of asian foods...

jessie981, Jan 31, 7:58am
New one for me. Didn't know you cooked cucumbers. Relishes etc, would never have thought to precook before making.

korbo, Feb 1, 1:34am
opps, at my daughters,(macs1) and i am making cucumber/onion pickle for her.
I am NOT cooking the cucumber as such........but preserving them into a pickle.

actually, cant see why you can cook them as in a stirfry anyway.....

korbo, Feb 1, 1:37am
creeky100, I didnt rinse off the salt, just drained the liquid. Is it normal to rinse the vegs for pickle after soaking overnight. some recipes i have dont mention rinsing, just draining off the liquid.
I do get a little confused.

gardie, Feb 1, 5:30pm
Yep - good idea to drain and then rinse or else you have very salty pickle - don't ask me how I know that.

elliehen, Feb 1, 7:52pm
I don't think it matters either way.I usually run the tap over mine in the colander very briefly.

elliehen, Feb 1, 7:54pm
A teenager son of a friend cooked himself up a tomato & onion mix recently and added cucumber because he couldn't find any zucchini.Apparently it was very palatable :)

crystalmoon, Feb 3, 3:41am
definately rinse after drain salted veg otherwise a very very salty product,yuk!!!!

elliehen, Feb 3, 8:04am
korbo, how did your pickle turn out?Was it too salty?

tehenga288, Mar 21, 3:54pm
I hadcucumber cooked in a Vietnamese dish today & it was very tasty