I bought some vermicelli but i could not

lynja, Jan 30, 7:24am
separate it. i tried scissors, a knife, even tried to pry it open as I didnt want to use the whole bundle. i ended up with pieces all over the kitchen. I finally managed to retrieve enough to use. surely there is an easier way. can anyone help.

darlingmole, Jan 30, 7:28am
well I tend to use my whole lot up (a lot of us here to feed) however I imagine that you could split the vermicilli up length wise as it's in a kind of birds nest bundle ... and perhaps by jamming a long knife through the centre of it?

winnie231, Jan 30, 9:38am
lynja - I've had exactly this problem when cooking for one and the solution I found is to hold the bundle in a large plastic bag (supermarket bag), let the bag rest loosely shut and cut through the bundle with a pair of sizzors in the other hand. By doing the surgery inside the bag - the pieces can't fly everywhere. Hope you can picture what I mean!!!

motorbo, Jan 30, 9:41am
oh gosh i know what you mean!! i tend to use rice stick noodles now instead they can be broken up easily

lynja, Jan 30, 6:39pm
great suggestion winnie231. couldnt believe the mess. if it wasnt a busy time getting tea ready it would have actually been amusing!! it went everywhere!! yes i think the rice stick noodles may be a better idea. i wanted to add the vermicelli to a stir fry. it was great once i got it sorted though!

davidt4, Jan 30, 9:20pm
I take it that you mean bean thread noodles, also called glass noodles, the thin translucent wiry ones that are called vermicelli in the Pacific Islands.Next time you buy them look for the ones that come in little bundles tied with string, about 8 bundles to the bag.Each bundle is a two person serving.Any Asian food market will have them

Otherwise the scissors-in-bag technique is the only way to deal with them.

lynja, Jan 31, 8:40am
thanks davidt4 i havent seen the smaller serve packs but will look out for them next time.

perle, Mar 13, 4:18pm
soak them in water first, thats how we do it when making stirfrys/chop suey etc.. just soak on a big bowl, (about 15mins) the noodles will go clear... then they r really easy to cut/chop... :)