Gypsy Creams??

jules36, Jan 26, 6:45am
does anyone make these and do you use rolled oats or cornflakes?

greerg, Jan 26, 7:34am
I do make gypsy creams but they don't have either.I can post but I suspect you want the cereal-based one?

angie461, Jan 26, 7:39am
I like the name of them could you post for me?

gardie, Jan 26, 7:53am
These sound interesting - would love to know more!

martine5, Jan 26, 8:56am
me four

gerry64, Jan 26, 9:44am
me five -just got back into baking teaching my granddaughter and looking for new recipies

greerg, Jan 26, 6:58pm
Sorry will put this up tonight.Just typed it in last night and Firefox crashed before I posted.

jules36, Jan 26, 7:35pm
any recipe would be great thanks! They are so yummo:)

eastie3, Jan 26, 8:57pm
I did a quick google search and found this:

90g margarine
4 level tsp. golden syrup
270g self raising or plain flour
90g sugar
2tbs cocoa
2oz rolled oats
Preparation Melt the margarine and syrup in a pan, stir in the sifted dry ingredients and the rolled oats.

Place walnut sized pieces on greased baking trays, flattening them with a fork dipped in hot water.

Bake for 20-25 minutes in a gas mark 3 oven, 325 F / 160 C.

Allow to cool before removing from trays and when cold serve plain or sandwiched together with chocolate butter cream.

Makes 16-18.

gerry64, Jan 26, 9:33pm
thanks eastie - baking tomorrow will give these a go

ferita, Jan 26, 9:46pm
gypsy is a racist term

elliehen, Jan 26, 9:50pm
Maybe offer suggestions for a renaming?Chocolate Kisses were once Maori Kisses in Aunt Daisy's book and Chinese Chews are no longer called that.

'Eskimos' stay doggedly in NZ confectionery, despite Inuit protestations.

gerry64, Jan 27, 5:04am
I didnt have any golden syrup so tried this recipe and they are yum
Oven 160 - two trays lined with baking paper
125g dairy soft - I just softened normal butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
2tbsp icing sugar
1/2cup plain flour
1/2cup rolled oats
1/2cup shreddded coconut
1/2cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4teasp bicarb soda
Filling
mix half butter with 3 teasp syrup and icing sugar until smooth- set aside
Combine flour oats coconut sugar in med bowl
Stirremaining butter and syrup in small saucepan over med heat until butter melts - stir in soda - add to oat mixture
Mix well
roll slightly rounded tsp and place on trays - makes about 36
Cook 25-30 mins - set aside for 5mins before taking off tray
spread cookies with prepared filling and sandwich together
I actually wouldnt fill them next time - they are really yummy just as a biscuit

jimminette, Jan 27, 5:13am
cripes, we'll be too scared to open our mouth soon.Seems no-one has problem calling people from england Poms.But then of course they're white so they don't count do they.

greerg, Jan 27, 7:47am
Was astonished the other day to hear someone at work, a Scot, having an absolute diatribe about gypsies.I knew there was still huge discrimination in Romania but in the UK in the 2000s?

elliehen, Jan 27, 10:33am
Have a family member who has just finished a short work contract in Romania, and he said that Romanians were quick to tell him to stay away from the gypsies and that gypsies have given Romania a bad name in the EEC countries...

Many of the petty crimes that befall tourists in France and Italy are blamed on 'the gypsies'.

elliehen, Mar 4, 1:03am
'Poms' is something else - I'm sure Wattie's Potato Pom Poms have nothing to do with the English ;)