Nutty things

paynta1, Jan 23, 10:45pm
Went for lunch yesterday and they had these nut tasting round things in the salad, they were a beigey colour,I think I have seen them before but not sure what they are called, maybe they are chickpeas..

cap, Jan 23, 11:06pm
I think I know what you mean but I'm not sure what they are.Too small to be a chickpea I think.

bananna15, Jan 24, 1:03am
were they pinenuts???

paynta1, Jan 24, 4:01am
no not pine nuts, the wear not hard hard, think they had a little sprout thing on them too.

davidt4, Jan 24, 5:03am
Partly grown bean sprouts?

elliehen, Jan 24, 5:40am
Lentil sprouts?

winnie231, Jan 24, 5:47am

paynta1, Jan 24, 9:18am
Ah sprouted chick peas is what they look like,have a nutty taste, where in the supermarket do I find them, are they on the shelf or fridge..yummy

elliehen, Jan 24, 10:04am
Sprouted things are usually shelved with vegetable items like bagged lettuce.

calista, Jan 24, 10:16am
Some dried chickpeas can be sprouted.I've done it accidently by soaking them too long.

juliewn, Jan 24, 10:17am
Hi.. some will be available in punnets or similar at a supermarket - usually in the vege section where the speciality items are..

However if you buy a packet of chickpeas - from a supermarket, Bin Inn, Asian food store, etc., then do the following, you can grow your own chickpeas in just a few days - and they'll be fresh:

For Mung beans, chickpeas, etc.

You'll need - a glass jar, a lid with holes in the top (put holes through a plastic lid that fits the jar - or lids with mesh are also available at health stores), water.

Soak the beans/chickpeas in a jar of water overnight.
Drain the water & leave the jar upside down to drain well.
Rinse the beans 2x daily with clean water, for 3-4 days - drain the water out well after you've rinsed them each time.
In a few days you’ll be eating your own bean sprouts!

As they're larger, chickpeas sometimes take a day or so longer - keep rinsing 2 x daily till they're sprouting.

Some info about sprouts..
http://www.naturopath.org.nz/sprouts.html

pogram0, Feb 28, 10:50am
I was just reading in a Cuisine magazine (a 2007 issue) that a lot of chickpeas are now put through a process (probably something like irradiation) and as a result they will not sprout.They suggest if you want to sprout chickpeas you should purchase them from a health food shop.