Kaffir limes

mkbooks, Jan 14, 11:37pm
1. Can you use the juice from these like ordinary lime juice? Know that they are grown for the leaves but there are fruit on the tree so we wondered?
2. Any recipes for using please?

buzzy110, Jan 14, 11:51pm
Of course. Some people do but personally, I can't stand the flavour. The juice tastes exactly like the leaves and whilst the leaves go well in Thai style sauces, I have found the fruit don't really match the fresh clean taste of proper limes.

However, each person is different and you may like it. Just cut one open give it a smell, based on the principal that we taste with our noses and you can decide if you like it.

davidt4, Jan 15, 12:30am
The juice doesn't have many culinary uses - it is very sour and rather bitter.It's the zest that is useful - it is a vital component of many Thai curry pastes.

The fruit freeze well.They lose their bright green colour but the flavour is unchanged.

geldof, Jan 15, 12:35am
agree with #2 & 3. Also there is minimal juice in the limes.

uli, Jan 15, 3:26am
I have grated the rind off and then froze it together with the juice in ice cube containers - seemed to work ok for any recipes I wanted it for - however I do not need that now as I seem to find a fruit somewhere most of the time I need one.

bugin, Feb 5, 7:59am
I chopped a ripe fruit and added it to my last batch of marmalade,the flavour was strong ,but i really enjoy it on spiced fruit bread .or grilled under blue cheese on a croisant.