Morning, morning, I think this is so strange

vintagekitty, Jan 14, 10:09pm
that I bought a Ham on the bone this morning, in xmas wrapping plus hot X buns. Since when is Easter right after Xmas?

elliehen, Jan 14, 10:20pm
Your Xmas is late and your Easter is early??Maybe you could start a new Fest?

vintagekitty, Jan 14, 10:27pm
perhaps ellie, the ham isnt very nice. Never mind the kids will eat it over the next week.

charli, Jan 14, 11:20pm
Yes we noticed th Hot X Buns on about the 29 December .... unbelievable!!!!!!

buzzy110, Jan 15, 12:46am
Xmas wrapping aside, ham on the bone, is not the exclusive domain of Christmas. It is eaten all year round. However, there are some people who eat only pressed ham with lots of guar gum and other additives at other times of the year and have ham on the bone only at Christmas because they think of it as Christmas food.

I think that is curious.

buzzy110, Jan 15, 12:51am
And about hot cross buns. I'm not a religious individual but I do believe that we need to have some respect for our cultural values. It is very wrong that a food, specifically associated with the crucifixion of Christ, is being treated with insensitivity and disrespect.

We are expected to respect the cultures of others, how about the same respect shown to the Christians among us, whose beliefs and practices made this nation what it is today - for better or worse.

nfh1, Jan 15, 12:53am
Easter is right after Xmas in all advertising companies.Buy now you don't want to be the one unable to get Hot X Buns over the next 3 months!

buzzy110, Jan 15, 12:54am
Now when it comes to Easter eggs, I think the name needs changing. Eggs and the crucifixion of Christ are not related. Eggs are related to new growth and the coming season. They have no meaning in the resurrection, imo. They are more connected to a pagan ceremony than a Christian one. And chocolate eggs are just another sweet treat of no real meaning.

I think we need a separate festival for eggs, Spring and fertility for the coming season.

jennyl11, Jan 15, 1:24am
valentines is next

olwen, Jan 15, 1:33am
I've just come back from the supermarket.Not only did they have hot cross buns, but they were reduced to clear!!

nfh1, Jan 15, 1:36am
LOL - were they last years!

motorbo, Jan 15, 1:45am
shakes head at buzzy, your one in a million alright!! some would say nuts im sticking with one in a million

buzzy110, Jan 15, 5:33am
Why is it that you take umbrage at everything I write. I was trying to add to the thread and not disparage it however, you chose to call me nuts.

Well it takes one to see one around every corner motorbo. What is wrong with thinking that hot cross buns should be treated with respect for our cultural heritage?

I never berated vk for buying them. I just thought that it is time shops showed some respect. But ham! Well ham is not exactly an exclusively Xmas food is it now. How would ham be connected to the birth of Christ I wonder?

It is no wonder you are having trouble with someone at work. You are mean and smallminded and capable of seeing fault and insult where none exist.

blt10, Jan 15, 5:39am
? buns are part of our cultural heritage?

buzzy110, Jan 15, 5:45am
Hot cross buns are. They were made to represent Christ's crucifixion and have been around long enough to become a cultural heritage thing.

Making the buns without the cross on would make them not a cultural thing but just a sweet cinnamon bun with spices and dried fruit. And that would be absolutely fine then to sell them.

elliehen, Jan 15, 6:03am
Perhaps if you're a heathen ;)
"In many historically Christian countries, buns are traditionally eaten hot or toasted on Good Friday, with the cross standing as a symbol of The Crucifixion. They are believed by some to pre-date Christianity, although the first recorded use of the term "hot cross bun" is not until 1733; it is believed that buns marked with a cross were eaten by Saxons in honour of the goddess Eostre (the cross is thought to have symbolised the four quarters of the moon); "Eostre" is probably the origin of the name "Easter".Others claim that the Greeks marked cakes with a cross, much earlier."

Courtesy of Wiki :)

blt10, Jan 15, 6:25am
Just because it's wiki doesn't make it fact.

vintagekitty, Jan 15, 6:37am
oh god, I dont care what's in ham not on the bone, on the bone, or what or how people eat whatever they do, nor the symbolism of hot x buns, I was commenting more on the roll out of Easter goodies three weeks after xmas.

And Easter Eggs in the Warehouse today, its insane. Part of being a kid is the feeling of anticipation for santa, the easter bunny, and the chasing of the $$$ is ruining it.

elliehen, Jan 15, 6:44am
That's the whole point!!

Some say it's pagan, some say it's Christian symbolism...just eat the bun!

elliehen, Jan 15, 6:46am
I used to anticipate a marshmallow Easter egg AFTER Easter, vintagekitty - at half price ;)

vintagekitty, Jan 15, 6:51am
lol, I cant stand marshmellow easter eggs, BUT I love most of them :)

blt10, Jan 15, 7:16am
Nope, don't like them!

elliehen, Jan 15, 7:37am
Have a BLT then - Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and a dash of mayo between two slices of toasted Vogel's ;)

blt10, Feb 2, 4:50pm
No ty, not what I am after :P