Improvisation success!

teacake, Jan 9, 11:02am
Twice today I used recipes that needed soy sauce, which I knew we were out of, and both times I only figured this out halfway through cooking. I was not having a switched-on afternoon!

But instead of the 1 Tbsp or so soy sauce required for my tofu burgers, or for my brown rice and lentil loaf, I threw in a heaped tsp of green herb stock and lots of tabasco (any excuse for tabasco...!)

Nervous first bites and... YUM! As good as the original recipes, IMHO! (Which BTW are both from Alison Holst's Meals Without Meat).

What are your improvisation success stories?

loudnproud, Jan 9, 11:59am
mine wasnt so much 'improvise' but i was making a scallop mournay and was supposed to use 1 doz fresh scallops......i used 2 doz because i liked them so much. needless to say my new flatmate i was cooking for was astonished that A: a male can cook. B: a male can present food to London city standards and C: do the dishes after hahaha

teacake, Jan 9, 8:38pm
LOL :-)Actually I often double up on vegetables in pasta and noodle dishes so they're more vege than pasta or noodles, healthier and I reckon yummier :-)

buzzy110, Jan 18, 3:56pm
I use lemon juice instead of soy sauce in some of my stir fried vege and meat dishes as well, especially if the meats are chicken or fish.